Wiki Posts
Search

Should Tekin stop selling the R1 pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Does anyone else wants a Tekin R1 Pro w/537(5T) Brushless system?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So let me get this straight.. Tekin should stop selling their newest ESC because it has trouble with two sensored motors, which could possibly be caused by a bad setup?

Hey maybe you're on to something.. I should hook up a 3 cell lipo to a GT7 and blame Novak for bad engineering when it blows!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Adept

So far 4 have been sold at my track and all have had problems.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

how were they set up?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Around next weekend release HotWire
& with new firmware update R1 Series !

The new software that improves performance with all the motors and
eliminates the problems when rolling backwards and trying to go forward

I'm have using Feigao ( Trinity , Orion ,CS ...) OEM motor & NOVAK 3.5R 13mm w/rotor ,
not have problem !

Last edited by RC MARKET; 02-08-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If its simply a set-up problem, can someone explain how a Tekin sponsered driver was using a R1 Pro running a Tekin motor was cogging like crazy? At the price these things are going for there should not be any issues.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin
So let me get this straight.. Tekin should stop selling their newest ESC because it has trouble with two sensored motors, which could possibly be caused by a bad setup?

Hey maybe you're on to something.. I should hook up a 3 cell lipo to a GT7 and blame Novak for bad engineering when it blows!
Yes b/c setup causes Tekin not to release the 13.5 and 10.5 motors they promised with the R1 that they are now saying will only work with the RS. Keep up dude...
Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You guys should be used to this by now. Anytime there is a problem with ANY company's product, some one will come along and claim its the end users fault. No amount of evidence nor common sense you guys present will change his mind, so don't even bother.

There are obviously problems, there were problems during the early days(thus the delays), but anytime anyone questioned them, they were attacked. Not by Tekin reps, but by the fanboys on the thread.

Thats why I just stopped following the R1. I was really excited about it early on since I'm a huge Tekin fan. But the wait, combine with the potential issues with sensored motors, combined with the blind fanboyism rampant on the thread, made me just say screw it.

Looks like I made the right call...maybe when Tekin has it all together...I'll take a look at making a return to what was THE best esc company in R/C.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've been brushless for a couple years now, but after being at the Birds I will say they still are the absolute best brushed controller company I've ever seen. I was actually thinking of keeping a brushed set up **just in case** And I will guarantee you my phone call will be made to Jim to get one.

In a sense they still are the best company and people shouldn't forget that!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't think people are forgetting. In fact, I think its BECAUSE people remember Tekin as the best that they've been under so much pressure. People expect a lot from Tekin, and when things aren't perfect they're disappointed. Expecting perfection not fair? Perhaps. But when you build that kind of rep, high expectations come hand and hand with customer loyalty.

Heck, if I was still running brushed, I have a Tekin esc sitting there waiting to be put in. But since I'm never going back there (except for TCS mini), then I have to wait till the R1 is right to get my Tekin on.

There are only two companies in R/C that I can claim any real true loyalty for. Thats Tekin and Schumacher. So I'd love to be running them both together, but for the money, the R1 has to be 'right' first.('right' for me means being able to handle Novak's sensored motors as well as any other esc) Then I'll buy.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

the new issue of extreme r/c the have a huge color add and says it works with all motors! LOL i looked for the asterick next to motors but no disclaimer......

it does not work with any 4 cell apllications for oval racing with novak motors......

the hotwire system was handed out to team drivers saturday night at the birds..so that should be coming very soon to the public.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
The new software that improves performance with all the motors and eliminates the problems when rolling backwards and trying to go forward
Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Team Tekin

Posted again on page 3.. But I wanted a page one response to this issue.

NO

No chance the R1 is a bust. Granted it did not work perfectly with the 13.5 motors and that is an important group of people in the race community. We are not making any excuses or blaming anyone, we missed in a few areas and we are fixing it. We are here for the long haul and we will make it right.

The R1 is small, uses a small cap, has no heat sinks or fans, is easy to use and adjust quickly, is software updateable and is extremely smooth and efficient on the track in terms of both throttle and brakes. Also significant is that we have had almost no failures at all. In fact failures have been amazingly rare on all the new Tekin speedos including the B1, Fx and R1. When you build thousands of something you are bound to have a few bad solder joints or cracked components slip thru testing, but under normal conditions they are proving to be bullet proof.

We are releasing a new software that improves starts on all the motors significantly and eliminates the rolling backward delays. Even the 13.5 is close to perfect, however close may not be good enough for a serious racer which is why we are building the RS sensored version. Applications like 4 cell oval with 4” rollouts pretty much require a sensor to get going smoothly with any reasonable acceleration. It can be done if you sacrifice fast starts, but that seems counterproductive. Every controller I have seen start these motors well has been pretty slow. We think we have now found a good balance.

We are also releasing the Hotwire this week. Those who do not wish to purchase one to update their unit should have no problem finding a Tekin Team Driver at a local track or visit their local authorized Tekin dealer. We will supply a Hotwire to any dealer that asks for one. If you want to mail it to us we will update your unit at Tekin and return it to you.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 02-10-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

There is indeed a new software upgrade which is said to be working extremely well. The hotwire is around the corner as well which will help with the upgrades.

I'm sure for those who don't want to buy the hotwire you could ask someone who has it to upgrade your speedo for you.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Yes b/c setup causes Tekin not to release the 13.5 and 10.5 motors they promised with the R1 that they are now saying will only work with the RS. Keep up dude...
I wasn't talking about the motors. If you wanna go with cutting sarcasm like that, then we're gonna have a lot of fun.

When I saw this thread, it reminded me of when I was doing tech support for PC's and the way the users complained about the issues they were having. 50% of the time it was their fault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.