Wiki Posts
Search

tc4 steel outdrive question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default tc4 steel outdrive question???

I just ordered a set of them for the front diff on my TC4. When I hit the wall sometimes lightly the CVD pops out and chews the right side outdrive up. The car is tough but lately I've been going threw the composite outdrives like crazy and I'm not even hitting the wall that hard. My question is will I need any thing else to complete the diff, or will i be able to build the diff with just replacing the composite outdrives with the steel ones. thanks to anyone that can help. Gotta love this site.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by budget man
I just ordered a set of them for the front diff on my TC4. When I hit the wall sometimes lightly the CVD pops out and chews the right side outdrive up. The car is tough but lately I've been going threw the composite outdrives like crazy and I'm not even hitting the wall that hard. My question is will I need any thing else to complete the diff, or will i be able to build the diff with just replacing the composite outdrives with the steel ones. thanks to anyone that can help. Gotta love this site.
The steel diffs are built differently. The spring and a white T-nut (one you have to get that is just like the T-nut in every other offroad AE diff) goes in the long steel outdrive. The thrust assembly and the bolt go in the short steel outdrive.

You need:
AE white T-nut
Round diff rings (same size as the D shaped rings... but NOT D-shaped)
Steel outdrives
The rest of your composite diff assembly

After your steel diff is built you will have these parts left unused:
Small aluminum nut that fits in the short composite outdrive
Two D-shaped diff rings
Short and long composite outdrives

If i remember correctly. If you cant find the rings specifically for the TC3 steel outdrives... the older 10L3/12L3 onroad and oval cars used the same rings. If this is wrong anyone please chime in! Its been awhile since i have cross referenced all of AE's parts.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just went through this myself. This is the kit you will need

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPA07&P=7

and as Dave said, there is a slightly different assembly order. The spring goes on the other side, underneath the white nut. I didn't know this at the time when I assembled them and although it still worked, it destroyed the nut.