R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Wow, isn't it called racing. Think of one other form of racing where the factory guys don't get the newest and interesting prototype stuff- none. I've had the priviledge to work with some of the best racers in other forms of racing (Ricky Carmichael, Ernesto Fonseco, Jeff Emig, Jeremy McGrath, etc. in motocross) and yes they get factory help, that's why they are called factory riders. But I can also tell you they got from being a privateer and made it work. In fact almost 80% of the guys in the Supercross mains are privateers. Now for RC Racing its much the same, but compared to F1, MX, Superbikes, Rally, etc., I can say the equipment is relatively much closer, often exactly what we can get. In fact Tosolini TQ'd this year's IIC Mod Foam with a pretty box stock Corally Phi. He ran 7x1 Brood/Checkpoint based motor, off the shelf ESC, Traditional Parma foams (not even large diameter), stock shocks, stock chassis, basic high end Airtronics servo, Airtronics M11, Parma Alpha, 6 cell IB nimh, etc. He laid it down. No CEFX chassis, no technology voodoo, no OEM company parts, etc. He decided not to chase set ups and run his trusty set up developed at ROAR Nats and just drive. Basically anyone could have built his car. Hmm, aren't you running a Corally? Maybe look at his set up, I'm sure you could TQ IIC too, oh wait... maybe there's another excuse.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default My point...

"once you get to that level you aren't just racing to win you are racing for a pay check to pay the bills. Its no longer a hobby at that point. That's a lot of pressure added on top of all the stick time and wrenching..."

These are the guys I would like to hangout with and pick their brains or just have fun, but not the guys I want to be in the way of while I'm trying to qualify for the D main. I would just be in their way and possibly break one of their cars in the process. If there was a support class to run I could still pit and hang out with national champs, but not feel bad because I messed up their TQ run. Like you said, they are tring to make a living and have alot more at stake then I do.

But, from your post it seems that you know everything.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The losi car is awesome, but.................
just to point this out schreff in no way needed that stuff to make the car work he got it for the look factor and belive me it looks bad a$$.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #64
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by notateamracer View Post
I see all these guys spending big $ to go to the big races. Pic one I dont care which adn then they get there hopes up only to be beat up on time and time again.

You will never have a chance against these team guys that have parts and gear you dont have. No big race should allow any part or tire or anything battery whatever that is not available to the general public. dont give me that crap that they do testing there. test another time not at a race i spend $500 to go and have a eequal shot at winning. I am so sick and tired of it it makes me sick.

things need to change the average joe racer will never win if they keep allowing this crap to happen. why even show up. i can lose at home for free! No more products raced that are not available to EVERYONE no exceptions. lets give the average guy a chance for onnce
........even if i had the best 1/8 on road equipment and the best "setup" i would still have my ass handed to me my Collari.......if you walked into any track and cleaned house every time what fun would that be? ........i believe the best part of racing 1/8 on road is i have to work and try to beat the fast guys ( which i don't do ).that is what makes it a fun "hobby"...........if you have to win every race you enter you need to quit now because you will be eternally pissed...........quit moaning and go practice.........i would, but it 32 degrees outside..........
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Man, you guys look too much into this stuff. Ya, my car had a 1 off chassis from Jason. It was something I approved with Losi first before even having Jason do the work. We didn't change ANYTHING on the car. It was just better quality graphite, which was even thinner (2.5mm) than the stock stuff, which is 2.75mm. All Jason did was copy the existing car and just cut it out of different graphite. He also did it as a favor to me since I've run for him for soo long and he's a good friend. I ran the car a pack at 360 raceway back to back against my other car and laptimes were equal. The only reason I ran the new chassis is cuz the car was brand new. New cars are always fast.

The cars I ran at Vegas and at Cleveland were bone stock cars. At both those races, I had cars capable of winning, but I drove like an idiot. SnowBirds was just the race I finally put it all together.

The Type R is an excellent car as is any car in the hands of a capable driver.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notateamracer View Post
your post actually makes cents i just get frustrated i practice my a$$ off and i still suck and lose. yes i have spent a bundle and never make the A. I dont know maybe i am a crybaby loser but I just want to win once and feel what it feels like. i run an corally and now i hear i have to buy an aftermarket chassis for carpet i cant keep up.
Dude I hear you, but I am not going to break on you either but it take time to get there you have to push yourself even when you think the other guy is getting stuff you don't have, it take time and persistent just to be consistent when you get there then you will do better or even make the A main, just work hard on setup and practice and some day you will be up there.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #67
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
Man, you guys look too much into this stuff. Ya, my car had a 1 off chassis from Jason. It was something I approved with Losi first before even having Jason do the work. We didn't change ANYTHING on the car. It was just better quality graphite, which was even thinner (2.5mm) than the stock stuff, which is 2.75mm. All Jason did was copy the existing car and just cut it out of different graphite. He also did it as a favor to me since I've run for him for soo long and he's a good friend. I ran the car a pack at 360 raceway back to back against my other car and laptimes were equal. The only reason I ran the new chassis is cuz the car was brand new. New cars are always fast.

The cars I ran at Vegas and at Cleveland were bone stock cars. At both those races, I had cars capable of winning, but I drove like an idiot. SnowBirds was just the race I finally put it all together.

The Type R is an excellent car as is any car in the hands of a capable driver.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't care what you run, and I have seen the stock car be as fast as anything out there. Syndrome just said "I bet it's bone stock".

It's not. That's all I'm saying.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Dude the chassis didn't make a difference. The car was stupid fast before he put the chassis on. If you watched Vegas you would have seen that Schreffler should have won both Stock and 19T there. He didn't only cuz he broke while leading in both mains.

Schreffler's win had nothing to do with any aftermarket parts. That was hard work and dedication there. A well deserved win in both classes.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #69
Tech Rookie

didnt brad johnson tq and go start to finish in 1st place in vegas ?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18241169
Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #70
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What did I just say? The STOCK car is as fast as anything out there. I'm sure it was exactly the same as you say. I'm sure he could of ran a fiberglass chassis, whatever.
But it isn't stock, which is a fact.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I don't care what you run, and I have seen the stock car be as fast as anything out there. Syndrome just said "I bet it's bone stock".

It's not. That's all I'm saying.
No worries man. I hear ya.
---
And about making A mains and wanting to win... it took me a looooong time to win. Sure, I made quite a few A mains in the years I've run, but it's tough winning a race no matter what. Competition is fierce anymore. I spent over 5 years of intense racing, practicing, and preparation to finally win something. That's a lot of time and money spent.

Just stay determined and work hard at it. That's what I had to do.
Closed Thread