R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #796
Tech Rookie

Default S120 behaviour

Hello!!
This week-end I've been on a track with my brand new S120 . All working fine except one thing . Every time the car was touching/hiting the walls it started to have problems maintaining the straight line . If the car was hit in the left side it started to go to left side, if it was hit on right side it started to go to the right side . It was very frustrating because you have to compensate from the steering stick/wheel or you had to make a quick adjustment from the trim .
The same problem had also the other 2 guys with S120 . I checked and rechecked the whole car over and over again but still i couldn't figure out the source of my problems .
Oh yes, I know , maybe the easiest solution was to not hit anything at all but the surface was extremely slippery thus the car very hard to drive and very sensitive to any change .
Any suggestions about the source of my problems ?
SacreBleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #797
Tech Regular

It looks that the problem is the servo. It can be the servo saver that is stripp or the servo inside. Check that you are using the proper servo saver insert for your servo.
Edgar Millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #798
Tech Rookie

Thank you , Edgar !! But :
- the servo is brand new also and functioning properly. I thought about the servo saver but it seemed ok .The insert is also the proper one .
- I'm not new in bussines but i can't consider myself an experienced guy in rc racing . The strange thing is that it didn't happened only to me . It happened to other guys using same type of car . They had also other type of servos(ex. Futaba-9650) and they are more experienced so it's hard to believe we all have had bad servosavers or we did the same basic simple mistake . I thought some other guys around here experienced the same problem .
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #799
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacreBleu View Post
Thank you , Edgar !! But :
- the servo is brand new also and functioning properly. I thought about the servo saver but it seemed ok .The insert is also the proper one .
- I'm not new in bussines but i can't consider myself an experienced guy in rc racing . The strange thing is that it didn't happened only to me . It happened to other guys using same type of car . They had also other type of servos(ex. Futaba-9650) and they are more experienced so it's hard to believe we all have had bad servosavers or we did the same basic simple mistake . I thought some other guys around here experienced the same problem .

At least none of my clients had complain about it. I think you should check that the servo saver in not sliping on the insert.
Edgar Millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #800
Tech Rookie

I will check it as soon as posible . I will let you know what I found . Thanks again !
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #801
Tech Master

Hi mate, make sure that the servo hasa not moved on it's mounts. I put the servo (without the servo saver) on the chassis and then put the whole thing on a Hudy setup board to make sure that the servo is mounted exactly in the middle of the chassis. Then put the servo saver onto the servo and if all is well, the turnbuckles should be the same length left and right. If the car does not straight line after a hit, put it back on your setup board and check to see if it's still in the midlle of the chassis. I hope that all make's sense bud, cheers! Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #802
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacreBleu View Post
Hello!!
This week-end I've been on a track with my brand new S120 . All working fine except one thing . Every time the car was touching/hiting the walls it started to have problems maintaining the straight line . If the car was hit in the left side it started to go to left side, if it was hit on right side it started to go to the right side . It was very frustrating because you have to compensate from the steering stick/wheel or you had to make a quick adjustment from the trim .
The same problem had also the other 2 guys with S120 . I checked and rechecked the whole car over and over again but still i couldn't figure out the source of my problems .
Oh yes, I know , maybe the easiest solution was to not hit anything at all but the surface was extremely slippery thus the car very hard to drive and very sensitive to any change .
Any suggestions about the source of my problems ?
I had the same problem and I do not hit things. After trying four different servos from three different manufactures, as I too thought it was the servo, I replaced the S120 servo saver with a Kimbrough and the problem went away. While the S120 servo saver is a beautiful piece of work, I feel the spring in the S120 servo saver needs to be stronger to allow the servo saver to return to center more accurately. While I would rather use the S120 servo saver as it does fit the car better, having the car not center is distracting to say the least. I think the S120 is the finest T bar 1/12th car ever designed and it works awesome. There are just a couple of small little things that needs to be corrected and I am sure Serpent will refine and make the car better as it evolves. It's too bad that we are moving to single cell lipo which makes T bar cars a thing of the past. I have heard rumors that Serpent is working on a link car but... I like T bar cars!!!
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #803
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
I think the S120 is the finest T bar 1/12th car ever designed and it works awesome. It's too bad that we are moving to single cell lipo which makes T bar cars a thing of the past. I have heard rumors that Serpent is working on a link car but... I like T bar cars!!!
Steve,

SpeedzoneUSA I think it is, is supposedly releasing a saddle single cell lipo soon. They said they were only a couple of weeks away of releasing CAD drawings of it. If its a good pack then it will become very popular, and could help convince other companies to release their own as well.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #804
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Steve,

SpeedzoneUSA I think it is, is supposedly releasing a saddle single cell lipo soon. They said they were only a couple of weeks away of releasing CAD drawings of it. If its a good pack then it will become very popular, and could help convince other companies to release their own as well.

Steve
That is great news!!!! Everyone here in the states is waiting for the Thunderpower, 5000 40C single cell lipo. According to one battery manufacture, it will be impossible to get a 5000 40C single cell in a saddle pack configuration but I don't why it can't be done. I just think that the start up costs is high and if you have a single cell already out there, it's easier to try and get everyone to convert chassis than make a new battery configuration.

I was about to pull the trigger on having my chassis cutter cut out new S120 chassis that would put the single cell on one side of the T bar and the electronics on the other side. We have done some testing and it is possible to get the car to work that way but the only challenge is getting the car balanced and getting to the minimum weight.

As soon as you hear anything more about the Speed Zone saddle pack, please post up!!

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #805
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Hey Steve,

Just wanted you to understand that I am not an insider on this project but just a prospective customer. There is a thread about this on here. I just wanted you to know about it as you are a very good supporter of this car as well as the t bar design, as I am too.

One thing though is the speedzone guy did state that the lipo pack would be less than 40c, I think he said 35C. Oh well, can't have everything.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #806
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hey Steve,

Just wanted you to understand that I am not an insider on this project but just a prospective customer. There is a thread about this on here. I just wanted you to know about it as you are a very good supporter of this car as well as the t bar design, as I am too.

One thing though is the speedzone guy did state that the lipo pack would be less than 40c, I think he said 35C. Oh well, can't have everything.

Steve
Understood. The S120 will more than make up the missing 5 C.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #807
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

Does anyone know where I can find an accurate conversion between oil wt and oil cst. These units seemed to be used interchangeably and arbitrarily in the setup sheets.

Ive been using this converter :

http://www.offroad-cult.org/Special/...wt_convert.php

but it doesnt seem accurate. I remember someone posting on here once that 1400 cst was about 45wt. Im using Losi oil so I do everything in terms of wt
Team El Cajon Hobbies
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #808
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstuart View Post
Does anyone know where I can find an accurate conversion between oil wt and oil cst. These units seemed to be used interchangeably and arbitrarily in the setup sheets.

Ive been using this converter :

http://www.offroad-cult.org/Special/...wt_convert.php

but it doesnt seem accurate. I remember someone posting on here once that 1400 cst was about 45wt. Im using Losi oil so I do everything in terms of wt
http://www.twf8.ws/php/tip/shock.html
adam lancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #809
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

Quote:
Steve,

Steve

I think this makes alot more sense.

Option 1 - completely redo and throwout an innovative and flawless design to make a car fit a battery thats only made by one manufacturer. Probably spending 6 figures on molds and testing in the process.

Option 2 - cut a lipo in half

What were we thinking?!
Team El Cajon Hobbies
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #810
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
I had the same problem and I do not hit things....
Wha???!!?

Except me when you are passing
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote