R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #691
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is wonderful news. I will order new kingpins then so I can stop using the CRC gear. Unfortunately I will also have to order new steering blocks since I had to re-tap to use the CRC versions.
Mr Granone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #692
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The kingpin issue has been resolved. I recently received a pair of the revised kingpins from Serpent America and the two issues with them have been corrected:
1) They are now the proper diameter and fit the factory pivot balls.
2) The wrench slots have been removed and are now installed/adjusted using a 1.5mm hex wrench.
What is the part number for the new kingpins?
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
What is the part number for the new kingpins?
It's the same part number. I got a pair from a friend this weekend and when I checked the number, they were the same.

I think he said he got them straight from SerpentUSA.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #694
Tech Apprentice

I just checked with my serpent source. The part numbers are the same for the kingpins. Also anyone who got the engraved vs etched spring bars can order the same part number to get the updated versions. The etched version is not as prone to snapping.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #695
Tech Adept

We will like to congratulate all our Team drivers that were present at the Snowbirds Nationals. Thanks guys for the effort and the support!!

Special congrats to Paul Ciccarello for the 2nd place in Mod and Markus Mobers for 3rd place in 10.5

Also Special thanks to Butter, not only for his excellent performance despite the "power" issues, but also for taking care of the part support for the Team

Serpent America

www.serpentamerica.com
e-mail: [email protected]
telf: 1-305-677-3253
serpentamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #696
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Congrats guys. Your cars look real good out there at the birds. I got to see one this weekend and it is a very nice car. Good job
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #697
Suspended

did they win?is it over?
OILMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Bump
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #699
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Congrats guys. Your cars look real good out there at the birds. I got to see one this weekend and it is a very nice car. Good job
Thanks Jason. Your product is really good too!!

www.serpentamerica.com
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #700
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILMAN View Post
did they win?is it over?
It's over. we did not win, but we had a really great result and show the potential of our car. Considering is our first big event in USA, we did pretty good. We where fast in the qualifying session and we finish 2nd in Mod with Chicky and 3rd in 10.5 with Mob.

Butter was super fast but with really BIG issues with the speed control/motor/gearing package.

So overall, good job guys and thank for representing our brand so well!!

www.serpentamerica.com
Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #701
Tech Apprentice

Hello again,

OK the build is complete and I have to say I only ran into one other issue. The center shock seems to leak a lot. I did some playing and found that the shock leaks from the shock shaft seal. This seems to be caused by the seen of the O-ring not being right enough and it allows fluid to pass when cycled. I did not find a solution to this but did note it when I finished the car. I have to say overall this was a pleasure to build and I want to thank Markus and everyone at Serpent for this car. Now if only I could drive better

Also having finished the build I decided to test the balance issue with brushless motors to see why everyone is complaining. I did not have one of every brushless motor on hand so I just played with what I had. I did this test by putting in the axle, motor, wheel screws into the rear pod and then set it on balance posts. To get The front of the pod to sit on the posts I used a CSH screw to form the pivot point. The results are a bit alarming in my mind. LRP 7.5-13.5 motors the pod needs 21gm of weights added to the right side to make the pod balance. LRP 4.5-6.5 took 23gm. Trinity 10.5 (only one I had on hand) took 17gm.

Now I am not an engineer and this is not a very accurate test but these seem like large amounts of weight when we consider that 865gm is the 2009 ROAR Minimum. Which was increased from the 2008 min weight of 794gm. Having said all that I have to say I am not good enough or fast enough to have this effect me. But while I had everything apart I figured I would test it. Does anyone know how much weight the tungsten diff rings add? I would bet not enough to matter.

Oh and for the record my WC Corally SP12X was even worse.

Thanks again for the wonderful car.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #702
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Granone View Post
Hello again,

OK the build is complete and I have to say I only ran into one other issue. The center shock seems to leak a lot. I did some playing and found that the shock leaks from the shock shaft seal. This seems to be caused by the seen of the O-ring not being right enough and it allows fluid to pass when cycled. I did not find a solution to this but did note it when I finished the car. I have to say overall this was a pleasure to build and I want to thank Markus and everyone at Serpent for this car. Now if only I could drive better

Also having finished the build I decided to test the balance issue with brushless motors to see why everyone is complaining. I did not have one of every brushless motor on hand so I just played with what I had. I did this test by putting in the axle, motor, wheel screws into the rear pod and then set it on balance posts. To get The front of the pod to sit on the posts I used a CSH screw to form the pivot point. The results are a bit alarming in my mind. LRP 7.5-13.5 motors the pod needs 21gm of weights added to the right side to make the pod balance. LRP 4.5-6.5 took 23gm. Trinity 10.5 (only one I had on hand) took 17gm.

Now I am not an engineer and this is not a very accurate test but these seem like large amounts of weight when we consider that 865gm is the 2009 ROAR Minimum. Which was increased from the 2008 min weight of 794gm. Having said all that I have to say I am not good enough or fast enough to have this effect me. But while I had everything apart I figured I would test it. Does anyone know how much weight the tungsten diff rings add? I would bet not enough to matter.

Oh and for the record my WC Corally SP12X was even worse.

Thanks again for the wonderful car.

Jeff
The ROAR 1/12th weight for 2008 is still 795g. There was a deviation requested and approved for the Carpet Nats in March to raise it to 865g for that race. This most likely will become the rule but for now it is just a deviation
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #703
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
The ROAR 1/12th weight for 2008 is still 795g. There was a deviation requested and approved for the Carpet Nats in March to raise it to 865g for that race. This most likely will become the rule but for now it is just a deviation
Ah thanks for the clarification. I assumed wrong then that it was already in the rules for 2009. Still it is something to consider when adding weight to the car.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #704
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How is the quality and durability of this kit compared to the associated?
Thanks

VIP Auto Group Inc.
VIPMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #705
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPMOTORSPORTS View Post
How is the quality and durability of this kit compared to the associated?
Thanks
The kit is very nice. Quality of the parts is good. Any concerns I had are being or have been addressed. After running the car for a practice day I can say it is just as fragile as other 12th scale cars. If you hit hard enough it is going to break. The lower front arms are a similar to the 12L arms in how they break when you totally mess up.

The use of real shocks (with pistons) and the spring bars on the t-plate are very nice. The car holds a tweak better then anything else I have driven. Out of the box I was able to pick up 3 tenths from my last chassis.

Also this board has a lot of the Serpent team on it and they are very responsive. As for how it runs vs an associated 12R5 I will have to let you know after this weekends race.

Thanks
Jeff