R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #586
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
hey, i am using the exact same servo. and it looks like if you try the other block with the hole in the OTHER side it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
You can mix the posts. ...
They will give 4 different width between posts and 2 different positions of the servo related to the centerline.
Combined with the fact that you can make the post more narrow (although I agree that shouldn't really be needed) must create one set that gets things pretty close.

here, maybe this will help clarify the situation with January 08' chassis plates. i added a white tapeline and marked the current hole locations and added black lines on the posts to indicate their respective hole locations. the only way to fit a 3650 servo is by elongating the hole on right in the picture.

SERPENT 120-img_0192a.jpg

Last edited by avs; 01-13-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgotten quote
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #587
avs
Tech Master

Default jan '08 recap

ok, to recap:

issues:
1- kingpins are too large diameter 0.125" vs. pivot balls 3MM

2- front axles too short to accomodate jaco prism wheels, which are being sold with Serpent badged bags. (can't get 1/8 of thread in nylock before the bearing binds. having the serpent label SHOULD mean they will actually fit.

3- chassis plate drilled for unknown servo geometry

nitpicks:
1- assembly manual shows pivot balls installed both right side up and upside down. page 7 shows installation with flange up, while pages 8,9,10 show flanged side down

2- servo installation does not give guidance on how to locate servo correctly for ackerman and bumpsteer

Summary
this may seem like bashing or whatever.
I admit to being a little annoyed by these things, but considering the premium price and near bravado describing this product, Serpent has asked to be held to a higher standard. so far, the only response is what I need to do to accomodate errors due to their teething problems.

in all fairness, i have had to deal with the headaches of 'outsourcing'. i totally understand that the message coming out at the end of the chain can end up different that what it started out as.

Last edited by avs; 01-13-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
ok, to recap:

issues:

2- front axles too short to accomodate jaco prism wheels, which are being sold with Serpent badged bags. (can't get 1/8 of thread in nylock before the bearing binds. having the serpent label SHOULD mean they will actually fit.

nitpicks:
1- assembly manual shows pivot balls installed both right side up and upside down. page 7 shows installation with flange up, while pages 8,9,10 show flanged side down

2- servo installation does not give guidance on how to locate servo correctly for ackerman and bumpsteer

Summary
I admit to being a little annoyed by these things, but considering the premium price and near bravado describing this product, Serpent has asked to held to a high standard. so far, the only response is what I need to do to accomodate errors due to their teething problems.

in all fairness, i have had to deal with the headaches of 'outsourcing'. i totally understand that the message coming out at the end of the chain can end up different that what it started out as.

The Jacos fit..You just have to use a thinner nut. I found some from Hot Bodies that worked well.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #589
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
here, maybe this will help clarify the situation with January 08' chassis plates. i added a white tapeline and marked the current hole locations and added black lines on the posts to indicate their respective hole locations. the only way to fit a 3650 servo is by elongating the hole on right in the picture.

Attachment 406014
well thats cracked out, I got my chassis the week before the revisions arrived at serpent. when exactly?? i dont know, but mine fits great. Maybe doug can shed some light on this..

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #590
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Verano View Post
The Jacos fit..You just have to use a thinner nut. I found some from Hot Bodies that worked well.
hey, pm me or post the part number for those nuts cause that was one of my complaints..

thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #591
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
this is my point, whatever changes were made on the chassis was not an improvement. there are 2 sets of holes which are mirror images of each other. (redundant hole set which provide NO benefit) the posts are also duplicates 2 pair of left eccentric and right eccentric drilling.

it seems to me that effort and $$ has been spent but with no benefit.

see attachedAttachment 405707
Are the four holes to mount the servo posts equal from the center line of the car? If so, then that is an error. CRC has four holes in their chassis but they are spaced differently so that you can mount a variety of servos. With the first S120 kits made, there where only two holes in the chassis to mount the servo and the only servo that would fit, with the output shaft in the center of the chassis, was the JR3550/3650.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #592
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
hey, pm me or post the part number for those nuts cause that was one of my complaints..

thanks
Patrick,

I got some of these from your neck of the woods. They are low profile and also come in purple and silver.

http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...OD&ProdID=2242
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #593
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Verano View Post
thanks Chris, actually once i got past the initial shock, i recalled that the RC10L2 used an all plastic nut(much like the nut protoform provides with their body stiffeners) i could only find one in my dustbin, but these should work fine also.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #594
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
Are the four holes to mount the servo posts equal from the center line of the car? If so, then that is an error. CRC has four holes in their chassis but they are spaced differently so that you can mount a variety of servos. With the first S120 kits made, there where only two holes in the chassis to mount the servo and the only servo that would fit, with the output shaft in the center of the chassis, was the JR3550/3650.
yes they are symmetric about the centerline.

evidently they replaced 2 holes with 4 new but redundant hole locations. (doh!)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #595
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
Wow, that is some long term advice
Good ideas stand the test of time.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #596
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
Patrick,

I got some of these from your neck of the woods. They are low profile and also come in purple and silver.

http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...OD&ProdID=2242
look pal, i am not in 949.... lol

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #597
Tech Adept

Quote:
ok, to recap:

issues:

nitpicks:

Summary
I admit to being a little annoyed by these things, but considering the premium price and near bravado describing this product, Serpent has asked to be held to a higher standard. so far, the only response is what I need to do to accomodate errors due to their teething problems.

AVS, sorry to hear about all this problems. Could you please send an e-mail to [email protected] so we can figure it out what batch of kits you actually have. Appreciate your imputs

www.serpentamerica.com
e-mail: [email protected]
telf: 1-305-677-3253
serpentamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #598
Tech Adept

Front End Kit Ready

After many requests, we have the kit ready. Will be in USA and ready to ship to dealers at the end of this week.

http://www.serpent.com/product/411178

www.serpentamerica.com
e-mail: [email protected]
telf: 1-305-677-3253
serpentamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #599
Tech Elite

Quote:
The drawback of mounting the servo on the chassis is bump steer.
you'll need to put spacers between the steering arm and the ball to get the steering links to at least a horizontal position.
however there are people that prefer this condition because it makes the car turn in harder.. I personally don't like it but it is a tuning option of sorts.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #600
Tech Elite

Quote:

Attachment 406014
, just an idea. try changing the right upright to the alternate hole block. ??