R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If I were to send in an a123 pack that fits the lipo dimensions & passes the durabillity test would they get roar aproved?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If I were to send in an a123 pack that fits the lipo dimensions & passes the durabillity test would they get roar aproved?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

We are just getting lipo into the rulebooks with this set of defined rules. While those cells may or may not pass, I think it is in ROAR's and the racers best intrest to keep things clear. Adding another type of cell to the mix, could make the situation not as clear.

That said, I am sure after some time passes, and thing settle down, it may be in the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Add Tekin to that list. We will be submitting a hard cased 3400mah battery for approval very soon. After 18 months of testing different manufaturers cells we have found one worth putting our name on.

We will even tell you where they come from, what they are and show you all the safety certifications. We will be the only ones selling these cells made exclusively for Tekin by one of the top manufacturers in the world.

Tekin Prez

when should be expect to see these......realilisticly not projected
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
We do not have the time or resources to determine the cell's real C rating. I really don't think it's ROAR's job to determine the C rating of each and every battery - that's what the manufacturers should be doing. Unfortunately most manufacturers are greatly inflating the C rating.[/I]
Thats a good point. Maybe it (no it Should actually) be up to us racers to demand these from the manufacturers on packs. I can see the use for a CE TurboCharger 200 in this case since it would provide a standard of measurement .
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post

As long as you could meet all of the requirements, case dimensions, case type, max number of cells in series, voltage, available quantities for distribution and all the other safety stuff you should pass. It takes way more than throwing a battery in a case and sending it to ROAR for approval.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Add Tekin to that list. We will be submitting a hard cased 3400mah battery for approval very soon. After 18 months of testing different manufaturers cells we have found one worth putting our name on.

We will even tell you where they come from, what they are and show you all the safety certifications. We will be the only ones selling these cells made exclusively for Tekin by one of the top manufacturers in the world.

Tekin Prez
Jim,
Glad to hear that. I can't wait to see them in the lab.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Yeah im also interested in seeing if the A123 Li-Ions could be approved.

This video says alot about the A123 durability. I wonder if it'd even need a case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ayuFBDrSg

pretty sure these are A123 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3PiUUcmEU

when i saw him put that nail to the cell im like "oh no!!!!" then nothing happened lol.

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 02-12-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #54
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

One thing I am curious about, is that for safety concerns for electric racing lipos need a hard case. What about lipos that are used for receiver packs in nitro classes? Will there be rules coming down for them to use a hardcase as well?

Any news on what packs have been submitted?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
One thing I am curious about, is that for safety concerns for electric racing lipos need a hard case. What about lipos that are used for receiver packs in nitro classes? Will there be rules coming down for them to use a hardcase as well?

Any news on what packs have been submitted?
Off road cars, the receiver packs are inside a hard case on the chassis... on road cars they are usually covered with a hard plastic piece on the bottom... right now, we don't have any rules for receiver packs but we will look into that.

One step at a time... let us get through this transition first.. ok? LOL
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #56
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

No problem. I guess my undestanding was that the danger was concerning batteries getting ejected from the vehicle, and I have seen this happen with nitro receiver packs, and also seen some receiver packs that are not inside a sealed case.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Remember the big diference in size between lipo's for a motor's power source vs. a receiver pack. Therfore way less fuel to burn in the case of catastrophic failure. Most nitro cars have their receiver packs fairly well encased within the chassis these days anyways. I actually can't think of any current or semi current chassis off road or on road where the receiver pack is hanging of the side of the chassis waiting to be sliced and diced by a CF bumper as is the case in electric TC.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote