R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSobottka View Post
Yet my SRD4 was definitely fast at the Novak race this past year running against Hohnsteins PHI...It came down to driver mistakes at the end, and Hohnstein got me.
Our car has placed in many foam A's as well...I see no problem with the shaft car at all...
Not with the power levels you are putting through it. Put a 7T Mod in it and its a different story. One of AE's top drivers was standing next to me a a Reedy Race a few years ago and commented on the TC3's "Lefty Shuffle" getting on to the front straight. He said, "If you rip it with a a good mod motor the TC3 would turn to the right just fine but would power slide to the left". This was due to the torque effect interfering with chassis roll and weight transfer.

The TC3 won a lot of racers early in its production life. Not because of its drive train, but because Associated NAILED the suspension design. Almost every car on the market today uses a copy of Associated TC3 suspension geometry.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Hy there!

I am happy with my Evo5 in the stock classes i race it, but i have not tried a belt one so far... Tourque steer is not noticeable. The cornering in left and right turns is the same. Maybe i will be faster with a belt, but maybe not.

The limiting factor of my race performance is me!!! So many cars and so litte time to practice. But maybe next year i buy a belt aswel.

Another question. Why is the situation in 4wd off road not the same? Is it in this kind of racing not more necassary to have a smooth (belt) drivetrain?

The new cars Asso, HB, Serpentare all shaft ones???

Someone have a answer?

Greetings from Austria, Blueman
Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The TC3 won a lot of racers early in its production life. Not because of its drive train, but because Associated NAILED the suspension design

Now thats funny,Losi,express,corally nailed the suspension AE nailed the drivetrain,you contradict your own post,nailed the suspension yet have torque steer?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think Bob from AE pretty much gave a great explanation on the advantages of the shaft early on..... The TC3 pretty much won everything in its first two years until the batts went past 3000mah. Adrian sorry to say but the tc3 cleaned up a lot of races locally and nationally....
Old 03-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i drive a 1/10 shaft driven 4wd.

the only reason i lose is because i'm shit.

i swapped cars with a damn good racer with a 05 xray.

he handled mine perfectly, i had to buy him a new hub assembly
jokerkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post

Shafts were just a gimmick that was marketed very well and that gimmick sold a lot of TC3's and TC3 copies.

Interesting
this industry is full of gimmicks. Just glad to see that some one else sees it that way as well

BMI is lucky to have you Adrian
Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Not with the power levels you are putting through it. Put a 7T Mod in it and its a different story. One of AE's top drivers was standing next to me a a Reedy Race a few years ago and commented on the TC3's "Lefty Shuffle" getting on to the front straight. He said, "If you rip it with a a good mod motor the TC3 would turn to the right just fine but would power slide to the left". This was due to the torque effect interfering with chassis roll and weight transfer.

The TC3 won a lot of racers early in its production life. Not because of its drive train, but because Associated NAILED the suspension design. Almost every car on the market today uses a copy of Associated TC3 suspension geometry.
I thought the person asking for advise, was only running a 10.5 or slower motor. Why are you bring up 7T motors for? I have an evo4 in the garage that I can put the same lap times down against any car I've seen. In all fairness, I can put down the same lap times with my old 414m2 as todays newest and greatest rides. It's all about set-up. Torque steer is rarely even noticed at those speeds. (10.5 or slower)

Last edited by Juan Aveytia; 04-05-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy there!

Another question. Why is the situation in 4wd off road not the same? Is it in this kind of racing not more necassary to have a smooth (belt) drivetrain?

The new cars Asso, HB, Serpentare all shaft ones???

Someone have a answer?

Greetings from Austria, Blueman
I was wondering the same thing. Why wer cars like the Optima Mid so good and so popular, but the new cars coming out are all shaft drive? Thay all seem like TC chassis just a little redesigned for off road.

My old belt drive Turbo Optima was a breeze to drive and work on. At worst, you have to replace the belt, but big deal. Seriously, I know this isn't the off road forum, but this IS an interesting comparison...
Zagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #24
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSobottka View Post
Yet my SRD4 was definitely fast at the Novak race this past year running against Hohnsteins PHI...It came down to driver mistakes at the end, and Hohnstein got me.
Our car has placed in many foam A's as well...I see no problem with the shaft car at all...
woulda coulda shoulda......

lol

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
Tech Regular

thanks guys for all the comments. I find it hard to believe that if Hara tested the pro4 back to back with the pre-production cyclone the later was 8mph faster on the straight.?

Today was the first round of our regional series here in the UK called the STCC. Being as this will likely be my last year in this sport I sold my 007 whilst it was still worth something and ran my xray T1 FK04 in the 13.5 class.

Due to bad weather during qualifing I only had one chance to set a time which I managed just.
The finals didn't get much better for me but in the last final ( 3 finals total) I managed to set the fastest lap time in my class of the day by 4/10ths!!

I think the old cars still have something to give. The next round of the championship will see me running the Pro-4.
Fingers crossed.
part-time racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know I don't drive on the same level as most of the guys on this forum, as I only race at a local level, but I'm still racing an HPI Pro 2 (belt drive) from back in the day, and I can run just fine against the newer cars. I don't feel like the chasis limits me at all (atleast on the level I race at), and the car is a lot more durable than the newer cars...that's for sure!
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I know I don't drive on the same level as most of the guys on this forum,
Don't worry... truth be told, most of the guys on this forum don't drive on the same level as most of the guys on this forum.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Don't worry... truth be told, most of the guys on this forum don't drive on the same level as most of the guys on this forum.
Awesome like half the guys posting results on the sponsor forum"Idominated this weekend no one could touch me"but forgot to put in there were only 5-10 guys
Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by part-time racer View Post
thanks guys for all the comments. I find it hard to believe that if Hara tested the pro4 back to back with the pre-production cyclone the later was 8mph faster on the straight.?
He said this at the 2004 Worlds when I asked him what made him choose a Cyclone over the Pro4. HPI didn't care what car he ran they just wanted a win so he was free to choose the fastest car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve eaves View Post
The TC3 won a lot of racers early in its production life. Not because of its drive train, but because Associated NAILED the suspension design

Now thats funny,Losi,express,corally nailed the suspension AE nailed the drivetrain,you contradict your own post,nailed the suspension yet have torque steer?
Get YOUR facts straight.

Losi's Street weapon was a first gen sedan and had relatively poor suspension. It was only OK compared to what else was out at the time. The XXXS was the first Losi with modern suspension geometry and that car used a copy of the TC3 suspension. Heck, every suspension part on the XXXS and TC3 were interchangeable except for the lower arms.

The Roadrunner Express was also a first gen sedan and was a disaster on wheels. I had one and knew 2 Factory Express drivers (Swauger and McMahon) that also had a pretty low opinion of it.

Corally sedans were all complete crap until the RDX. Corally USA was almost ready to throw in the towel during the C4 and C4.1 days.

The TC3 was the first sedan with a throughly though out, logical suspension system. It was fast because it handled better than all other sedans for about a year and a half when everyone caught up by copied their suspension.

The torque steer had nothing to do with the suspension. Its was a drive train issue
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #30
Tech Master

PREDICTION: Someday, shaft driven cars will make a comeback.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote