R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Tech Master

Questions?? Body Tuck Ethics and The Modern Racer

Here's the situation: It's any big race of your choice, A-Main. You're running in second place, and using a regular weight body. The leader is using a lightweight body. For the purpose of this discussion, the third place car is a lap down.

Upon trying a pass, you LIGHTLY touch. His body tucks. This is the kind of tap in which, if the leader were also using a regular weight body, there would be no tuck and he could continue on.

What do you do?

A. Do you stop and wait for a marshall to un-tuck his body, and then allow him to continue on in front of you?

or

B. You immediately continue on with the race and take the lead. After all, why should YOU be penalized for the fact HE took the chance by running the lightweight body?

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I say continue on.... Not your fault they are running thin bodies... but at the same time.... how do you really differentiate what would have, would not have been the kind of tap....
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
Old 02-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Tech Champion

It was their choice to run a lighter shell. its a bit like saying I wont make a pass on any car because I might break it doing so

You don't go racing and expect not be overtaken, it happens.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
Here's the situation: It's any big race of your choice, A-Main. You're running in second place, and using a regular weight body. The leader is using a lightweight body. For the purpose of this discussion, the third place car is a lap down.

Upon trying a pass, you LIGHTLY touch. His body tucks. This is the kind of tap in which, if the leader were also using a regular weight body, there would be no tuck and he could continue on.

What do you do?

A. Do you stop and wait for a marshall to un-tuck his body, and then allow him to continue on in front of you?

or

B. You immediately continue on with the race and take the lead. After all, why should YOU be penalized for the fact HE took the chance by running the lightweight body?
Given that there are very few penalties given during the A main at most big races, for takeouts a lot worse than that, I say continue on. But don't be surprised if someone pays you back for it at the next big race.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can do what Bryan Ford did and hack the whole rear of the body out so it cant tuck I must say he had the ugliest body in the A main but he was one of few to tuck theirs
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to David Butts
Thumbs up Caaahhhhrrruuuunch

On a different note, Several times over this last weeks yearly major large indoor race in Fla. (since we're being politically correct here) I saw damage caused to those same afforementioned lightweight shells by marshalls when simply trying to do their intended jobs during races.

They are flimsy, Delicate and controversial. Have we now gotten to the day of the one run body, Tires, Motors, Battery packs and then eventually cars?

I know while handling them during my weeks responsibilities. I had more than one crunch up while being very careful handling them.

Lets see now. The tech crews will have to look for Height, Width, Weight, Motors, Batteries, Tires, Tire traction and or additives and mixtures if specified, Sharp edges, protrusions and any other items that may cause track or human damage and now, Mic'ing the body pull thickness?

Ahhh, Bring on the heat lamps. An .030 shell will resist 200 degrees beter than an .010 version.

Excuse me, Place your car right here on our vey well lit(heh heh heh)table. And leave it for three seconds while I check the ground clearance. Ooops!, Sorry about your roof Mr.Xxxxxxx, (Name witheld to protect the innocent).

From way up yonder in Middleburg
Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post

What do you do?

or

.......leave em for dead....they didn't have to run the light body............part of racing is just finishing..............ask any 1/8 on-road guy..............
Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

this is very interesting, and i would agree to continue on....however, just for discussion sake because i find it interesting...
now that we have deemed it ethically ok to continue on, some drivers might actually tap the rear corner of another car for the purpose of causing a body tuck and overtaking them, which is definitely of questionable ethics....

aside from it being hard to prove they did it on purpose.... what do we say about that?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

I'd better get me one of those .060 thickness bodies if McSmooth is around.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

To me, if your cars lightly tap, as long as you dont spin him out or anything, race on. Bad luck can be a part of racing. Not necessarily your fault, as either one of you could be to blame for the touch. You can't always predict what someone else will do, and the best thing to do is hold your line. If you meet, and one of you tucks, thats part of racing anymore.

It's the year 2010. Shouldn't vacuum cleaners be quieter by now?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

It must be a hypothetical question, because I don't believe anyone could run in second place in a foam tire race with a standard body.

Much to my dissapointment I found out this week the hard way that the lightweight body alone makes more of a difference than I ever thought it would . After I tried it, I learned that it would always be necessary at any foam tire race I went to again.

But as for the question, keep going.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
It must be a hypothetical question, because I don't believe anyone could run in second place in a foam tire race with a standard body.

Much to my dissapointment I found out this week the hard way that the lightweight body alone makes more of a difference than I ever thought it would . After I tried it, I learned that it would always be necessary at any foam tire race I went to again.

But as for the question, keep going.
Well, at least we know what the next grass-roots rule change push will be: ban bodies thinner than .027".
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

An interesting point of mention a local racer told me here in Australia, not that long ago.

When he cuts the rear wheel arches, using a circle cutter, he ever so slightly elongates the rear arch to avoid this happening. Helpful IMO.

Having said that, i dont like lightweight bodyshells for all of the mentioned reasons, flimsy and they just break. On a tight indoor track they dont stand a chance.

Cheers,

Robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

The rule change has been in the works for some time. The big question is the best way to enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Well, at least we know what the next grass-roots rule change push will be: ban bodies thinner than .027".
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What if you tuck some one with a thick heavy body? Just keep going?
I cant understand why any one would not cut out the body to miss the tire.
If for no other reason than to prevent chunks on foams.
I would stop let him go and make it stick clean. I really wouldn't want to hear later how he lost. And how I hacked him.
Closed Thread