R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default On The Horn!!!

Hey guys, after yet another of my main starts I figured I'd come and start a thread for some fun. This is for 95% of the Main starts that end up in a heap at the first corner. I'm just curious if I'm not alone, that others have picked up on little start techniques of some drivers. For instance: the guy who normally qualifies in the back of the pack. But also has the nose of his car perfectly shaped like a wedge. This way he can just ram the pack as they all slow down to make the first corner.
Don't get me wrong I love where I race and I even like most of the guys..hehe. It's just I consistantly qualify 3rd through 5th in the "A" main, sometimes a lucky second. However I can bet that after the first lap I'm chasing the pack. My heart goes out to the guy on the pole. He must just hit the throttle and pray.
Feel free to vent.....
Roadburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Tech Champion

At our local race we used to have a ton of carnage in the first turn...didn't matter if it was a qualifier or a main, every run was a mess. We tried having the starting grid on a curvy section of the track and find it significantly reduced the amount of carnage in a race. Almost everyone gets away clean because they can't punch it to full throttle right off the start if they are staring in a turn.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

thats why the IFMAR start is something used a lot, where each number is called when to go. Its a lot less bitter on the cars, but theres nothing like a good old start with everyone rushing in. Thats when they are able to get up 5 positions in one turn, which is always the most interesting. hey, sometimes you just have to take the best out of the situation, wouldnt it be a bit boring starting one after another, having the last guy screwed basically ,lol
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Starting strategies

I have a formula. Electric racing is 50% skill, 25% motor/batteries, and 25% LUCK. At the start, the luck factor increases to 75%. To make the hobby grow, something has to be done in EP TC to reduce or eliminate the luck factor.

The carnage at the starts really expands to the whole first lap. This problem is even greater with indoor tracks. I have been studying this for a while and began to even train my son on starting strategies. We found out the middle cars of 10 cars on a small indoor track gets the worst of it. It is like an accordion at the first turn. At one race, we planned to haul ass to the corner and slam on the brakes and hide on the outside, then proceed through the carnage. The plan worked great!

The solutions are:
1. Restart the race if there is any car-to-car contact during the first lap. Offenders get one warning. Second time, they move to the back of the pack.
2. Incorporate triple A mains. - True winner will emerge.
3. Increase length of mains to 8 mins - Car taken out can get a fighting chance to work their way back up through the field.
4. Space the cars out much further - say about 5 feet
5. Have rolling starts. - SCCA 1:1 races start this way to prevent pile ups.
6. Video tape the starts - somehow racers behave themselves when they know their actions will be under review.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I always try to give the little "let's take it easy on the first corner" speech when everyone's up on the driver's stand. I find that if you encourage it, people will do it and there will be a reasonably clean start. If you don't mention it, it's all out chaos.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Tech Champion

We've tried IFMAR starts in the past and no one liked them. They were just not as much fun as racing head to head. Some suggested to try it at our current track but it is just to small to handle it. With 8 cars on a track turning 9 to 12 second laps you have to start them out 1 every half second or the lead car is in the back end of the last car before it even starts.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

i always thought abut that too. What if the 5 second interval interlaps with the leader, who comes around, now that just plain out sucks if you ask me.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Where I race mini z's we have a clean first turn rule. If there is any contact in the first turn we start the main over. Even though the A Main is 10 minutes we still want a clean start.

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Default Ifmar

We do IFMAR starts for qualifing. I know how much you explain it, some guys just don't get the concept. However if you watch the fast guys. They are the ones who take advantage of that style of start and space themselves out. As far as the Mains, honestly I would'nt trade it for the world. That's where all the excitement is and it is allot more fun watching. I do have to agree with Team B&B that luck does play a huge part in a main. The only thing is that in TC class. It really would'nt matter how long the race is. With some guys, when thier gone thier gone. It seems as long as I can stay semi-close to them I have a fighting chance. After that the only thing an 8 min. main would do is give them more time to lap me...lol
Roadburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadburn View Post
We do IFMAR starts for qualifing. I know how much you explain it, some guys just don't get the concept. However if you watch the fast guys. They are the ones who take advantage of that style of start and space themselves out. As far as the Mains, honestly I would'nt trade it for the world. That's where all the excitement is and it is allot more fun watching. I do have to agree with Team B&B that luck does play a huge part in a main. The only thing is that in TC class. It really would'nt matter how long the race is. With some guys, when thier gone thier gone. It seems as long as I can stay semi-close to them I have a fighting chance. After that the only thing an 8 min. main would do is give them more time to lap me...lol

sounds like you know that feeling well

i agree eaven whe i go away it's carnage and i always get the worst end of it

we are spaced out alot and is still doesnt help if the guy infront of you is sleeping on the tone.

i think a rolling start would help a lot at it would look realy cool

the race director says its not won in the first turn but i must disagree because it is
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Something I do if I cause the first corner crash; I let everyone who I caused to crash go in front of me when marshaled. This means that if I qualified third and ran into second and caused forth to hit me, I will let them both go before I go. But then again I will do that at any point in a race where I caused an accident. The hard part is trying to decide if you caused an accident. Just because you hit another car does not mean it is your fault. I look at it this way; I imagine where my car will be and where the persons car I am trying to pass will be when I pass. If my cars current position has a better chance of getting to that point before the other car, then I will try to pass. If I hit the other car anywhere on the rear or back of the car, I caused the accident and will wait for the other car to get back ahead of me. However if I hit dead side to side with the other car, he should have yielded the line, and I will not wait. If everyone drove to the first corner telling themselves that they will not cause an accident or if they do they will wait, there would be less problems. And mind you, I do this even in trophy races. I am of the firm opinion that if I can't get around you properly I don't deserve the position.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I race 1/12 pan car in Kelowna and sometimes we get the crash-and-dash teqnique used which is amusing. I tend to hang back until the second driver gets to the first corner. When they do crash I just zip by them but being a little bit of a n00b i get passed but if you want a safe teqnique that's just what works for me and it works great
ijump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

We have a little... but we start every one in single line... 10 feet a part... it works really well... Got the idea from the crew in Memphis....

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Brushless motors like a 13.5 seem to greatly exacerbate the problem. If you stab the throttle, you're likely going to roast diffs, and if you don't, the joker behind you that stabs it will hit you. In 13.5 rubber, with one-ways (no brakes) the start always brings the pucker. It's entirely too much dependent on luck in my opinion.

There's also the issue of starting on a straight. The TQ might only have a few feet to accelerate before initiating a turn, while the 9 guys behind him have more time to wind it up. Inevitably, they're all going to have different braking times, especially with rubber tires. It's a mess more often than it's not.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default ....................

Hmmmm,seen this topic before.Heads up starts are racing,like it or not.The one thing that does help,ALOT,is spacing.Knowing some on this thread...I think we've all done our share of the "1st turn carnage".I also know we all try to avoid doing it.AND YES it is frustrating,especially in a 5 minute race,running stock,on a small track.Don't really have an answer except larger spacing..it has worked.Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote