R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
most F1 cars are going to the dish wheel covers, makes them look like our disc wheel.
How long before some RC bling company makes wheel covers like the Ferrari front wheel cover (with the BBS wheel that stays in one position) - they'd basically just be weighted spinners!

FWIW I prefer spoked wheels. I used to keep a pair of dish wheels and a set of old spoked handout wheels (Cross I think) for my shelf queen body, just to copy the look of some of the BTCC cars circa 2002...they ran spokes in front and dish in the rear.

It's just a matter of asking a race organizer to consider spoked handout wheels/tires instead of dish. So what if the wheels flex, they'll flex the same amount for everyone.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #47
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

From a photographer's point of view, I think spoked wheels make the cars look more "interesting" and "fast"

For example here's a picture I took of a dish wheeled car...it looks good IMHO, but it would look a lot better if it had spoked wheels that were "blurred" by motion

Now here's a similar picture of a car with spoked wheels...see the "blur" made by the spokes in the wheels? It just makes it look faster IMHO. With dish wheels, it is harder for the eye to perceive motion.

403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Noone is saying spoke wheels don't look good. They look real good, but dish wheels are stronger. When we are racing, most of us want to be fast and try and win with reliable wheels rather risking a broken spoke wheel on a fast run. How many of the top racers do you see at the big races with spoked wheels?

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

When im driving my car, im not looking at my sweet rims, or the other guys rims

Honestly it doesnt matter what I run on my car, if it works, they hey it works..

Prism style rims would be cool tho
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #50
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
When I first started racing spoke wheels was a must for me. After breaking a few sets I quickly found out that dish wheels are stronger and more reliable. They have more consistency on the track as well. Now I don't care if the wheels don't look pretty. I race to be competive. Being competive is having fun to me. Who wants to race to have their a** handed to them every time they race. If you want a pretty car, build a drift car. They are drifting/racing slow enough to not desroy the car in a crash. They have all the realism you can ask for. Wheels, mufflers, mirrors, wipers, lights, and everything else you can think of.
I have no major issues with the dish wheels, but like everyone else I have a opinion or two on this subject.

Stratus Racer, said, "When I first started racing spoke wheels was a must for me."

Why do I point this out? Because, as a hobby shop owner, I am very aware of how much the dish wheels are frowned upon by people who are new to this sport or considering the sport. I would say at least 90% of potential new racers are completely turned off by the dish wheel. Sure once you get them to the track enough times to get the hooked on the performance aspects of the different wheels (and bodies) they tend to be a little more open to such options. Its getting people to this point that is so challenging.

It seems to me that some of the seasoned "experienced" racers don't seem to care about what a noob might want. They only seem to care about what they want as an "experienced racer". That just doesn't make sense to me. I think that sometimes we the seasoned vets of the sport should take a step outside of our own box and consider the big picture rather than just focusing on what will get us that extra tenth.

Again, Im not completely against dish wheels or the current crop of bodies. However, I can say with 100% certainty that bringing back better looking wheels and more familiar bodies would help to attract new racers for us to compete against.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
...Stratus Racer, said, "When I first started racing spoke wheels was a must for me."

Why do I point this out? Because, as a hobby shop owner, I am very aware of how much the dish wheels are frowned upon by people who are new to this sport or considering the sport. I would say at least 90% of potential new racers are completely turned off by the dish wheel. Sure once you get them to the track enough times to get the hooked on the performance aspects of the different wheels (and bodies) they tend to be a little more open to such options. Its getting people to this point that is so challenging.

It seems to me that some of the seasoned "experienced" racers don't seem to care about what a noob might want. They only seem to care about what they want as an "experienced racer". That just doesn't make sense to me. I think that sometimes we the seasoned vets of the sport should take a step outside of our own box and consider the big picture rather than just focusing on what will get us that extra tenth.....
Well taken... I race TC because I like the overall appearance of the car. 95% of the time I race Stratus bodies for the same reason. I do believe the Mazda 6 and the DNA are better bodies though. We'll see what I run when I deplete my supply of bodies.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #52
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
bringing back better looking wheels and more familiar bodies would help to attract new racers for us to compete against.
I was totally into the scale look of things when I started, and long into my racing 'career'...if you want new blood in the hobby to keep smaller manufacturers, local shops and club tracks going, scale looks are definitely one way to help.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #53
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKinney View Post
I was totally into the scale look of things when I started, and long into my racing 'career'...if you want new blood in the hobby to keep smaller manufacturers, local shops and club tracks going, scale looks are definitely one way to help.
+1, back in the early 90s I used a HPI Subaru Impreza WRC (older style) 190mm shell on my HPI Pro 2, with 16 spoke white wheels and HPI soft slicks, touring cars these days all look the same and sometimes I think about getting another rally shell.

As for grip.... it had plenty, adding to the fact I added a 3 tier wing to it LOL. Looked great, but yes it isnt a touring car.

They would look rubbish with dish wheels...

on road rallying... a class for the future?

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #54
Tech Elite

OH NO, I thought this topic was gone! Why did they bring it back to life
If you like dish race dish, if you like spoke race spoke!! Finito (sorry my Italian stops at pasta, gelato and pizza)
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #55
Tech Master

I don't think you can move away from dish wheels when it comes to racing. However, when I built my TransAm car, those rims looks soooo good. There should always be space for "scaleness" in RC. That's where its essence stays.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
....There should always be space for "scaleness" in RC. That's where its essence stays.
There is, it's called Drifting.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This thread once again proves that electric onroad guys are the biggest bunch of complainers in RC racing.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote