Ban disc wheels in TC racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ban disc wheels in TC racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Taylorm is right: in 1/8 onroad nitro they are not using dishweels BUT when I raced 1/8 offroad I always had dishwheels. In 1/10 there were not at that dishwheels but they are available with foam these days.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Only Tamiya, Kyosho and a few others make reallooking bodies, others are made for racing. If you want to race real looking bodies go racing in the Tamiya series.
Great response. Availability is a cause and effect. Ask Dale Epp about the demand for cartoonish bodies that follow function before form.

Nevermind.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Great response. Availability is a cause and effect. Ask Dale Epp about the demand for cartoonish bodies that follow function before form.

Nevermind.
Real racing cars are made of carbon and kevlar. Your own carbody is made of plastics and metal.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think the headline came off a little harsh. Nothing should be banned but to the guys point if its a spec tire why not something a little more realistic (or at least different). As long as its durable I dont have a problem with that statement. If its any tire racing then if people feel dish wheels give them an advantage then allow them, if people like real looking wheels then allow those too.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
The Evicerator

"Looking Better" is a matter of opinion... and opinions will varry.

What will not varry is the performance differences... Dish rims and spoked rims will handle differently

Someone should take the time to do some testing and share their results here... and then say whether or not they'd rather race on dish or spoked rims

I suppose if it's a control tire type thing everyone will be on the same tires/rims... but I'm not sure how many people will want to sacrifice the handling of their car ...espcially on rubber tires where traction/stability are limited.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I agree
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
"Looking Better" is a matter of opinion... and opinions will varry.

What will not varry is the performance differences... Dish rims and spoked rims will handle differently

Someone should take the time to do some testing and share their results here... and then say whether or not they'd rather race on dish or spoked rims

I suppose if it's a control tire type thing everyone will be on the same tires/rims... but I'm not sure how many people will want to sacrifice the handling of their car ...espcially on rubber tires where traction/stability are
limited.
I haven't done any "scientific testing" but I will have to say that we have a good crop of hardcore racers, national champions, world champions at our track and I must say that the dish wheel and spoke wheel issue is an open discussion at out track. That said, it has never had anything to do with how they look. I could car less how they look. I'm looking for performance. (This is for foams only!) From my findings I find the dish wheel to have a more stable more aggressive and stable feel than the spoked Prizm wheel. As far as lap times are concerned, I believe the dish wheels are still faster. Track records and fast laps always seem to be set when the driver is running dish wheels. And no the fastest driver for that day does not use the dish exclusively, it goes back and forth but somehow fast laps always come up on the dish. Also, the Prizm seems to give the car a lighter feel, a freeing up feel to the car. I don't believe it's as agressive, it's definitely easier to drive so for some less skilled drivers their lap times might improve from this alone. The Prizm definitely has more flex which I believe is the reason for the hollow, floaty, lightweight feel that if gives when using them over the dish. I've been told by some that they will use the Prizm due to the weight issue, (being lighter than dish wheels). For top performance, you have to true down the Prizm wheels down to nearly nothing where the with the dish you can leave a little more rubber on them without hurting the performance.

After this long-breathed post, I don't see one rim being far greater than the other but for some it is a personal preference and a performance gain depending on driving style and car setup and even class (i.e. stock, 19t, mod) I do believe though that the Prizm wheel has too much flex and I believe Jaco is working on that as we speak. I've been running both wheels with mixed feelings but I still prefer the dish and will continue to until they run out like many racers I know but I guess soon we will have no choice as all my tires will be on the Prizm wheel. And no, I can't just switch to the Parmas because I run BSR's and they use Jaco wheels.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I personally dont think dish should be banned as the title implies, but a pre mount choice of rim (dished/not dished) would be nice , so if jaco are doing this then well done to them!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

I love my dish rims..!

Formula 1 cars are adopting dish rims (though for their's is more for accelerating hot air from to cool the brakes) now, and I believe theres a aerodynamic use for them.

So let us not go backwards...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ben.C
I love my dish rims..!

Formula 1 cars are adopting dish rims (though for their's is more for accelerating hot air from to cool the brakes) now, and I believe theres a aerodynamic use for them.

So let us not go backwards...
I agree!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

When I first started racing spoke wheels was a must for me. After breaking a few sets I quickly found out that dish wheels are stronger and more reliable. They have more consistency on the track as well. Now I don't care if the wheels don't look pretty. I race to be competive. Being competive is having fun to me. Who wants to race to have their a** handed to them every time they race. If you want a pretty car, build a drift car. They are drifting/racing slow enough to not desroy the car in a crash. They have all the realism you can ask for. Wheels, mufflers, mirrors, wipers, lights, and everything else you can think of.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
When I first started racing spoke wheels was a must for me. After breaking a few sets I quickly found out that dish wheels are stronger and more reliable. They have more consistency on the track as well. Now I don't care if the wheels don't look pretty. I race to be competive. Being competive is having fun to me. Who wants to race to have their a** handed to them every time they race. If you want a pretty car, build a drift car. They are drifting/racing slow enough to not desroy the car in a crash. They have all the realism you can ask for. Wheels, mufflers, mirrors, wipers, lights, and everything else you can think of.
Nicely spoken, I prefer the dishes above the spokeswheels
Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you want to look cool, take up drifting and buy all the cool bling and spoked wheels you want.

I want to go fast, and dish wheels are faster!!!

I think it is very silly to ban something based on looks. I understand for the bodies, the car must resemble a car(concept or real). But wheels are wheels, they are round and they roll. Looks should not matter, performance should!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

most F1 cars are going to the dish wheel covers, makes them look like our disc wheel.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.