R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2001, 11:57 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to shockwave

By useing 64 you able to choose more gear ratios deu to the fact that there are more teath per gear. but they do strip easy and they are a pian in the arse to mesh!!!
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 03:11 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Marvi - do you like burning money?

the spur gear manufacturers must be rubbing their hands thanks to you.

Switch to 48dp - I guarantee you won't go any slower, and you'll save money in the process.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 06:57 AM   #33
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Sossidge, I agree completely. The difference in performance is so minimal with 64dp, whilst the reliability factor certainly tends to sway things in favour of 48dp.

And besides, unless we are in the Spashett, Masami, Hara league, I don't really think we would notice the difference.

I've been rubbing people again in the HPI thread - just for a bit of Christmas spirit.

Son Josh and I had a great day at our Christmas Cup meeting yesterday. Ist and 2nd overall in Mod. He won 2 finals and I won 1, actually beating him. He'll never live it down. Incidentally he drives a TC3, I drive a Yoke.

The only Pro 3 at the meeting disappeared in a blue haze. Another blue Less Reliable Product bites the dust.

Happy Christmas

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 07:17 PM   #34
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

Another blue Less Reliable Product bites the dust.

LRP

HAHAHAHAHA nice one johnbull.

hm .... i think thers a difference in 64 p and 48p gears

i run stock closed endbelt mabuchi stock motor on a fairly insane gearing - 4.8:1 FDR
with a 48p gears ...i would be FAR slower on acceleration and top end and i can never keep up with a 12 turn mod motor ... i would trail behind and even if he made a mistake i could come CLOSE but never overtake him ...

with 64p gears i would be following him closely everywhere infield except on the strights where he clearly had far better acceleration
and once he make a mistake i would overtake him and lead...
+ he will have some serious time trying to ovetake me unless its the strights where he had the added advantage but then again
its no easy task ...
with 48p gears he would overtake me anytime anywhere !
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 09:39 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
Marvi - do you like burning money?

the spur gear manufacturers must be rubbing their hands thanks to you.

Switch to 48dp - I guarantee you won't go any slower, and you'll save money in the process.
i wish i was burning money! but seriously, i'm only replacing gears on big races (i join about 3 big races in a year) and when i'm running mod. i'm using the duratrax 64p gears ($2 to $3 - from tower) and i use about 2 per big race so it's really not as expensive. i reuse the spur gears with the least damage and practice with them. this is my precaution because our track really strips 64p gears, even the expensive RRP ones so i used the cheaper gears. i use 48p in stock. i'll experiment with 48p on mod.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:25 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R

As a ballpark, grab a spur between 93 and 98 tooth, (93 or 95 are ok, 98 tooth, for modified is ok).
Geez...why on earth do HPI supply a 116 64 P Spur with the Pro 3 kit???

The 116/35 combo gave me a rollout that was waaaaay to low.

I've since switched to 78/26 48 pitch as 64 pitch gears for the pro 3 are nigh on impossible to find in Sydney at the moment..

Roll on race day...

A
wrxmy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:54 AM   #37
Tech Regular

On 64Dp....

I guess if it is quieter then it is running more efficiently.... which could me 2 things.... you are not wasting transfering your power into noise, and you can tell when you car is actually running rough!!!

It has more teeth contact per degree of rotation and therefor less impact and less noisy and smoother.... I guess its a bit like the smoothenss of a V8 compaired with a 4 cylinder engine of the same capacity.... (do you guys get 4 cylinder engines in US? )

On the down side as everyone said it is more difficult to mesh properly... but in my case it is mainly because none of the gears (especially the pinion) are trully centered.... even if your spur is a tight fit to the adapter, it can deform quite easily , either by incorrect tightening of the mounting screws or it can hit a debris and then it becomes ever so slightly off center, then it can become less efficeint....

48 Dp is far more tolerant for the above and hence easier to mesh..... and they last longer and definitely tougher....

For those who are sitting on the fence... you can always try 56dp
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:22 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Default reply to 48 or 64 pitch gears ????

the whole main purpose for running 64 pitch over 48 is for fine tune adjustments for really your cars roll out. you can get alot closer using 64 over 48 ,but there is a little differance . but not a major deal. the bad thing about 64 spur gears over 48 is that 64 spurs are more acceptable to have a tooth or 2 get screwed up , cause of the closeness of the teeth so close together.but 48 pitch doesn't have that problem as bad.
carpet_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:00 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

I have a question for you guys.

I agree, changing pitch should not change torque... this is just a gearing thing and you should be able to convert 48P to 64P numbers.

Have you guys run 64P reliably now?

I'd like my TC3 to run smoother, just because I play a lot at night time, in a churchyard, and don't want to wake up the priest or the nunns.

Anyway, I'm looking for ways to quiet my TC3. Thanks!

Donovan
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:02 AM   #40
Tech Master

If you get the right mesh and the right gear, it shouldn't be loud.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:05 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

Naw, mine is no louder than the other TC3's but I want it to be even quieter. Any suggestions?
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge

I agree with this principle...

Quote:
By useing 64 you able to choose more gear ratios deu to the fact that there are more teath per gear. but they do strip easy and they are a pain in the arse to mesh!!!
this is also a fact.....

Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:51 AM   #43
tel
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want a quiet car (64 or 48 pitch) put Kimbrough gears in it. Darn cheap, quiet and they last forever.

http://www.kimbrough-products.com/
Old 08-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #44
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Quote:
Originally posted by donoman
I have a question for you guys.

I agree, changing pitch should not change torque... this is just a gearing thing and you should be able to convert 48P to 64P numbers.

Have you guys run 64P reliably now?

I'd like my TC3 to run smoother, just because I play a lot at night time, in a churchyard, and don't want to wake up the priest or the nunns.

Anyway, I'm looking for ways to quiet my TC3. Thanks!

Donovan
I've run 64 pitch in ever car I have. My xray has had the same spur gear on it for the last 2 years and it looks hardly worn (Kimbrough 128 tooth 64 pitch)

My xray sounds like a rocket with a 7 single in it.

If you decide to switch to 64 pitch, you'll just have to make the investment of many pinions to adjust your gear ratio's and rollout.

Enjoy, don't have the nuns come running after you.

John
Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 AM   #45
Tech Regular

To all those that are saying 64dp are difficult to mesh and strip easily, think on....

Are your teeth stripping because your mesh isn't right maybe?

If you think they're a pain, why use them? Masochism? If you don't like them, stick to 48dp.

Personally, I have 5 cars all with 64dp and have only ever stripped one pinion and that was because of grit, not the mesh.
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote