Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #121
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer View Post
One run? Definately not.

The most difficult thing about the tire market right now is this:

The standard of comparison most commonly being used (old RP30s) as much as we all hate to do so - has to be thrown out the window. Due to raw materials used that will never again be available, such a tire simply will not exist ever again. That's a hard pill for anyone who's ever driven them to swallow. (Or distributed them to happy racers and major races with fabulous success for many years.)

When we look at the modern race tire landscape, the current inbound RP30 will hang with/exceed anything as far as grip goes. It will also hang with any tire with comparable grip on the wear side of things.

Take Off dominated for many years because they had the best of all worlds - the best grip AND best wear when looked at against a comparable tire. They are masters of that delicate and almost impossible balance somewhere between a one run gumball and a long wearing brick that racers demand. I have full confidence that exactly that superior balance is now returning in their latest formulations. It's a very different and much more competitive landscape now for them to compete in than it was just a little over a year ago, but they've got years of track record and history in producing a darn fine racing tire. They can do it, and I'm overjoyed that things are finally back to that point.

I've been critical of them in the past (right here on this thread I beleive), but truth be told - I've felt personaly guilty and bad about the state of racing tires for almost a year now. I've felt like I've let everyone down and maybe there was more I could have done to prevent all the issues or help more quickly and actively in the solutions. RC racing is not a small thing in the US, and beleive me - I've felt the pressure to "get things back to the way they were" for quite a while. This industry (and hobby/sport) consumes you and becomes your passion 10x harder and faster when you're inside it. We can't just "leave it at the office" - it's a career, a life, a lifestyle, and a livelyhood all in one. I'm very happy now that everything is getting back to where it should be. The consuming lifestyle occasionally has HUGE rewards :-)
Shawn,

you might or might not be the person to properly answer this... and this is not a flame. just curious and wanna ask...

so the "old" RP30s were super dialed. but it contained some "odd" chemical that causes a second head to grow on test lab rats or something.... so they yanked that chemical for safety reasons. whatever.

my question is... Sorex tires weren't using that same chemical? only RP/CS brands? because it "seems" to me their tire hasnt changed in terms of performance/wear/grip. Tamiya tires i assume doesnt use the same chemical (because they've sucked..and still suck. ) if thats the case... im assuming Sorex has a different chemical compound than RPs? is that safe to assume?

again.. just curious. not flaming.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey Shawn,

I'd be cool to start a new thread "New Take OFF/RP Tires", where you discuss the new RP/Take OFF tires, answer questions, etc...makes it look more official and easier to find. Threads with these kind of titles tend o dissappear...just a suggestion.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #123
Tech Regular

ottoman and RB:
TO hasn't really been in full production since this time last year. Due to materials shortages/changes there were no tires available at all for about 6 months solid. (thus the thread title here)

They've been working their magic on reformulations since, and yes - admitedly the last (small) batch was anywhere from "just fine" to a "total disaster" depending on the racer or track you talk to. Some found it worked great no problem what's the hoopla about? While others found it blistered/shredded almost instantly.

Again, small Qty brought into the US that was sold out almost instantly so there's been about zero chance of getting that batch unless they came directly from us (with the above warning).

As far as production volume/keeping up with supply - that's yet to be seen from TO since last years troubles (and really, just about any quality tire has been in short/inconsistent supply since last year but I won't go into why in public). It's up to me and Take Off to keep the communication and supply both flowing if we have any hope of maintaining steady constant supply of a quality race tires in the US.

Hebiki:
I'm not the absolute authority on everyone's tire chemical formulations, but your description of the odd chemical and TO tires - basically correct (without the 2 headed rat LOL). As far as what Sorex is/is not using, I just don't know. If it is the no longer available stuff, then it's probably a matter of time before a change. If it's not and never has been, then it's relatively safe to assume they'll be the same. But again - I'm not privy to their formulations so I have no idea.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #124
Tech Regular

Yohan - exactly what I'll do when they come in and ship out (we have backorders for about 90% of the incoming shipment as of right now). That way we can get some good feedback, and I'll happily answer questions and we can all work together to improve the product and supply. :-)
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #125
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sorex changed over their formula a while back when the chemical problem first became aware so it won't be changing.
As far as the staement that the last batch worked depending on who and where it was run at.....I'll just call "TOASTY" on that one. So the part numbers will remain the same I take it.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Shawn,

Prior to placing an order I just want to ensure I'm correct in assuming that the RP30GL available on Schumacher USA is the newest batch showing status "in stock". I'd like to order a couple sets for testing and don't want the older "new batch" that had mixed results.

Thanks!
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #127
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

The sorex tyre hasn't changed. Sorex gave written guarentee to Schumacher UK just under a year ago that they had 2-3 years stock of this "magic ingrediant", the letter was on their site at some point - not sure if it still is. My understand is though, that when it's gone it's gone.

We ran RP 30's last year (all summer 07)it's fair to say they were nothing like we had the year before, 1 run, as people have said. This year Sorex 32 was the control - a good tyre, and i think all round people were happy.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Shawn,

Will the new RP30s have a different hang tags to help identify them?

As I remember, the bad batch had shinier hang tags (or vice versa).

Thanks.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #129
Tech Regular

Catalyst:
We're out of stock and have been for some time. No RP30 leaving this building from here on out could possibly be from the last batch :-)

Bill:
I am not aware of a packaging change from TO. For everyones peace of mind, we may start to mark them each time they come in for a while.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes
Default We had warning....

Maybe a little off subject, but I thought this was intersting. I was digging through my old issues of Xtreme, and was able to find the Oct 2004 issue. In this issue in the Touring Corner section, pg 55, there was an article on this very subject about the "mystery chemical".

Text from the article:

"Traction, everybody's looking for it, nobody seems to have it, and now, a rare chemical that creates it has been banned in Japan. How does this effect the on-roar drives in America, you ask? Well, this magical additive was one of the main ingedients used to create some of the more popular tire brands that we use here, and around the world. Normally, the natuaral process of innovation and experimentation would already have a variety of new compunds and additives lined up, but it has been quite some time since we've seen ane new rubber tire compounds for touring car racing.

So does that mean we are already using the best tires that science can create? Or does it boil down to economics and local racing sanctions? Some people feel that spec-tire racing has satifiled the development of new tire compounds, although few can argue that it has been a boon to independent and club racers. Meanwhile, the powers that be claim the chemical-which, incidently, has been banned in the US ages ago - was easily replaceable and would not affect production or quality. But is that really so? Manufacturing ingredients are usually chosen for one of two reason: effectiveness or cost. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?"
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #131
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
The sorex tyre hasn't changed. Sorex gave written guarentee to Schumacher UK just under a year ago that they had 2-3 years stock of this "magic ingrediant", the letter was on their site at some point - not sure if it still is. My understand is though, that when it's gone it's gone.

We ran RP 30's last year (all summer 07)it's fair to say they were nothing like we had the year before, 1 run, as people have said. This year Sorex 32 was the control - a good tyre, and i think all round people were happy.
Sorex made sure in this some year best of the best tire !
but RP tire in no traction area bester than Sorex , but price expensive !
so Hara was said in no traction area or traction , car park... choice Orion JB Foam insert !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #132
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer View Post
Catalyst:
We're out of stock and have been for some time. No RP30 leaving this building from here on out could possibly be from the last batch :-)
OK thanks for the clarification...looks like the webmaster is behind on updating stock status as it shows "in stock" even today. Can't wait to get some testing done with the new new batch out here.

StillBill: it was vice versa...the old (good) batch had the shine on the header cards. I kept a couple header card for reference
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #133
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
OK thanks for the clarification...looks like the webmaster is behind on updating stock status as it shows "in stock" even today. Can't wait to get some testing done with the new new batch out here.

StillBill: it was vice versa...the old (good) batch had the shine on the header cards. I kept a couple header card for reference
I have one more new pair of old RP 30's left But I have a ton of used pair. I also have a ton of old RP 36's too I guess I may break out my new set for the Revo race next weekend.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I have one more new pair of old RP 30's left But I have a ton of used pair. I also have a ton of old RP 36's too I guess I may break out my new set for the Revo race next weekend.
old ver. RP not have easy burn tire !
the compound harder.
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #135
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
Many thanks.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote