R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
but at $38 a set.... im gonna get used to gluing up tires.
I loved the RP30 premounts... but at $38 a set I guess I will have to concentrate on making the JACO tires work.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
I loved the RP30 premounts... but at $38 a set I guess I will have to concentrate on making the JACO tires work.
$38 for pre-mounts? Why so expensive? Who's selling them for that much?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
$38 for pre-mounts? Why so expensive? Who's selling them for that much?
Hard to find them even listed now a days... but how about $40... even though they are out of stock
http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...=SCHRP30GL!SCH

Or $44 on the Schumacher USA site...
http://www.racing-cars.com/usa/searc...rtname2=partno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer View Post
Take Off and Schumacher USA are now both prepared to return the racing community to the state of plentiful supply and competitive quality we enjoyed for so many years.
Can we add competitive pricing to the list?

Last edited by slakr; 09-03-2008 at 07:42 AM.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
i like the sorex, xenon blue with tamiya wheels.. but im TOO LAZY to glue up new tires.. thats why RP30 premounts is so nice.

but at $38 a set.... im gonna get used to gluing up tires.

I will take a little inconvenience to Save $10-$15 per set......
Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Hard to find them even listed now a days... but how about $40... even though they are out of stock

Holy $$$$hit That's really hard to believe...$44 for premounts...Although, that's probably MSRP...so in reality they should be around $35 by LHS...which is still pricy

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #111
Tech Regular

The Take Off retail pricing hasn't changed really since I've been here (over a year now), however our cost has increased almost 20% in that same time period.

We are currently working with Take Off on pricing in order to be more price competitive with other brands. However, the Schumacher USA business model gives a significant margin to our dealers. We're working hard to make sure local shops and tracks can do well enough with our products to remain in business. One option we can explore in order to be more price competitive is simply lowering the retail price, which removes a good deal of margin for our dealers. Unfortunately thats a common business model in tires, and it's not helping to keep the shop and track doors open.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
airborn:
We have RP30 inbound as we speak, RP36 and CS27 in stock now. RP30s should be here Mon or Tues.

We'll have Mini RP30 and 36 in the next order (Mini Cooper) and yes - we'll have CS22s in time for winter season.
Are these RP30's the new or old forumla?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #113
Tech Regular

Brand new and racer/track tested. Grip is back to what you expect from RP30, but the wear life is down a bit from where it used to be.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #114
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Brand new and racer/track tested. Grip is back to what you expect from RP30, but the wear life is down a bit from where it used to be.
where were the tests done at? None of the local tracks around here were included in testing as they were when Schumacher was going to release the edge. Just curious. You say that the wear is down but will the tre last more than one run?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #115
Tech Regular

One run? Definately not.

The most difficult thing about the tire market right now is this:

The standard of comparison most commonly being used (old RP30s) as much as we all hate to do so - has to be thrown out the window. Due to raw materials used that will never again be available, such a tire simply will not exist ever again. That's a hard pill for anyone who's ever driven them to swallow. (Or distributed them to happy racers and major races with fabulous success for many years.)

When we look at the modern race tire landscape, the current inbound RP30 will hang with/exceed anything as far as grip goes. It will also hang with any tire with comparable grip on the wear side of things.

Take Off dominated for many years because they had the best of all worlds - the best grip AND best wear when looked at against a comparable tire. They are masters of that delicate and almost impossible balance somewhere between a one run gumball and a long wearing brick that racers demand. I have full confidence that exactly that superior balance is now returning in their latest formulations. It's a very different and much more competitive landscape now for them to compete in than it was just a little over a year ago, but they've got years of track record and history in producing a darn fine racing tire. They can do it, and I'm overjoyed that things are finally back to that point.

I've been critical of them in the past (right here on this thread I beleive), but truth be told - I've felt personaly guilty and bad about the state of racing tires for almost a year now. I've felt like I've let everyone down and maybe there was more I could have done to prevent all the issues or help more quickly and actively in the solutions. RC racing is not a small thing in the US, and beleive me - I've felt the pressure to "get things back to the way they were" for quite a while. This industry (and hobby/sport) consumes you and becomes your passion 10x harder and faster when you're inside it. We can't just "leave it at the office" - it's a career, a life, a lifestyle, and a livelyhood all in one. I'm very happy now that everything is getting back to where it should be. The consuming lifestyle occasionally has HUGE rewards :-)
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #116
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Take Off hasnt had a very good record on availability the last year or so.
Sorry but if they wont be the same formula as the old RP30's and I dont know if I can depend on them to be available... well I am going to stick with Jaco.
At least the company is based here and the owner is available on the threads if problems arise.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
Take Off hasnt had a very good record on availability the last year or so.
Sorry but if they wont be the same formula as the old RP30's and I dont know if I can depend on them to be available... well I am going to stick with Jaco.
At least the company is based here and the owner is available on the threads if problems arise.
I believe Schumacher was not stocking them as they did in the past because racers were not buying them. Hopefully things will be different with the new compounds and availibility. Shawn will get it handled for sure..........
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #118
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Is it too soon to talk about spec foam on asphalt for EP sedans? :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

This link had best price
http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPath=55_56

last week arrived !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
One run? Definately not.

The most difficult thing about the tire market right now is this:

The standard of comparison most commonly being used (old RP30s) as much as we all hate to do so - has to be thrown out the window. Due to raw materials used that will never again be available, such a tire simply will not exist ever again. That's a hard pill for anyone who's ever driven them to swallow. (Or distributed them to happy racers and major races with fabulous success for many years.)

When we look at the modern race tire landscape, the current inbound RP30 will hang with/exceed anything as far as grip goes. It will also hang with any tire with comparable grip on the wear side of things.

Take Off dominated for many years because they had the best of all worlds - the best grip AND best wear when looked at against a comparable tire. They are masters of that delicate and almost impossible balance somewhere between a one run gumball and a long wearing brick that racers demand. I have full confidence that exactly that superior balance is now returning in their latest formulations. It's a very different and much more competitive landscape now for them to compete in than it was just a little over a year ago, but they've got years of track record and history in producing a darn fine racing tire. They can do it, and I'm overjoyed that things are finally back to that point.

I've been critical of them in the past (right here on this thread I beleive), but truth be told - I've felt personaly guilty and bad about the state of racing tires for almost a year now. I've felt like I've let everyone down and maybe there was more I could have done to prevent all the issues or help more quickly and actively in the solutions. RC racing is not a small thing in the US, and beleive me - I've felt the pressure to "get things back to the way they were" for quite a while. This industry (and hobby/sport) consumes you and becomes your passion 10x harder and faster when you're inside it. We can't just "leave it at the office" - it's a career, a life, a lifestyle, and a livelyhood all in one. I'm very happy now that everything is getting back to where it should be. The consuming lifestyle occasionally has HUGE rewards :-)
Thanks for the explaination. The big question I'm sure everyone wants to know is will you be changing the part numbers on the new tire's? I feel this should/has to be done so that the racer knows that they are purchasing the new tire and not a set from the old batch. It's damage control IMO. You know that if a racer orders the new RP 30 and receives some from the old batch, it will be WWIII on the message boards. Just trying to save you some headache before something like this happens.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote