Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stitchy
Just got the Top Racing Sabre Fwd Chassis Kit! Looks pretty sweet!
I must admit that I am sorely tempted to get this chassis, but the (hopefully) impending release of the mini version is what I'm really waiting for... I'll stick with the FF03 for the moment
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skitee
The Sabre and Photon share suspension parts.
cool. i just read that somewhere. i am very tempted. just wish we had more of a fwd following around here.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

I see RC Mart has now got the 3racing FF3 in stock, but at $335 I don't think they will sell many
Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NiMo
I see RC Mart has now got the 3racing FF3 in stock, but at $335 I don't think they will sell many
Hi NiMo, put it down to being a tech inadept, but where do I look for this chassis?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Waco
Hi NiMo, put it down to being a tech inadept, but where do I look for this chassis?

More info on their main site (follow this link)
Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Blimey! That was super quick! I didn't anticipate such a swift reply & after some varied searching I found the same Sakura you have posted, Doh! I forgot Sakura is 3Racing

Thanks for that all the same... Doesn't it look suspiciously similar to the Sabre with the rear alloy bulkheads & what looks like M03/ 05 gearing (why fix it if it ain't broke?), although the centrally mounted battery makes perfect sense.

Like you say; the price is quite steep... Although it also looks very well thought out with what appears to be better laid out steering set-up (vs Sabre) & looks like it will be very light from the outset.

Last edited by Waco; 12-23-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

I would say it's borrowed far more from the Tamiya FF-03 design and layout, this is just a carbon fibre and aluminum version. It also comes with an oil gear diff in the kit which would drive the price up a little too.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I would say it's borrowed far more from the Tamiya FF-03 design and layout, this is just a carbon fibre and aluminum version. It also comes with an oil gear diff in the kit which would drive the price up a little too.

It borrows nothing from the FF03 .. shock layout is different, gearbox is different.

In fact I have CAD drawings of the Sakura FF in an email dated before the FF03 details were even released so hardly borrowing from the Tamiya. Add to that we were talking about the car with the owner of 3 Racing back in Feb 2010

If anything the design is somewhat similar to the Xevo Mini but far more refined
Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

I must admit that I am sorely tempted to get this chassis, but the (hopefully) impending release of the mini version is what I'm really waiting for... I'll stick with the FF03 for the moment
The trouble with the SDabre at the moment is its restricted gearing. If you run a class that needs a rollout above 48mm then you cant do it. Hopefully TOP will make a speed gear set for the car
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Addict

Jeez Relax man !!!!

I wasn't criticizing anything no reason to get so defensive
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I've managed to have a closer look & I'm sooo sorely tempted, but the price tag is quite steep...

I like the principle of the geared diff & if you add all the 'fors'... Titanium turnbuckles, etc., it does look like value for money, it's just a large chunk of it

However, if I consider how much extra I've spent on my FF03 (Ti screw set, ceramics, etc.) & I still haven't got (or needed yet) the anti roll bars, it starts to make sense.

It looks like I've talked myself into getting one!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Tech Champion

Jeez Relax man !!!!

I wasn't criticizing anything no reason to get so defensive

Not defensive .. simply giving you some facts about the car. People make statements without knowing the real information.

As I said, the design is nothing like the FF03 .. but it is like the Xevo with more refinement
Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

Well I've managed to have a closer look & I'm sooo sorely tempted, but the price tag is quite steep...

I like the principle of the geared diff & if you add all the 'fors'... Titanium turnbuckles, etc., it does look like value for money, it's just a large chunk of it

However, if I consider how much extra I've spent on my FF03 (Ti screw set, ceramics, etc.) & I still haven't got (or needed yet) the anti roll bars, it starts to make sense.

It looks like I've talked myself into getting one!
I have both the FF03 and the Sakura FF. They are at extreme ends .. the FF03 is good but with a lot of budget bits. The Sakura FF has everything .. and a higher price tag ... so it is merely a question of what you want and how much you want to pay.

If you want a graphite chassis for the FF03 you can always put a 3 racing option chassis on the car
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cannon
I have both the FF03 and the Sakura FF. They are at extreme ends .. the FF03 is good but with a lot of budget bits. The Sakura FF has everything .. and a higher price tag ... so it is merely a question of what you want and how much you want to pay.

If you want a graphite chassis for the FF03 you can always put a 3 racing option chassis on the car
Okay, now you've got me very interested! I've got my finger hovering over the 'Buy' button & I've justified the price tag with the fact that it has all the wings & widgets included (so no expensive 'hopping up'- I've got that), but you say that they are at extreme ends; so how does it drive?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Addict

Hit that buy button, if you had to add all of the options to the FF-03 that come standard on the Sakura FF you'll be way over $335.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.