R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Who will be next to come out with a brushless / lipo optimized car...

Obviously the Type-R is about as close as it can get to a car optimized for lipo and brushless. Who do you think will be next? Will there be an Xray "Lipo Spec"? Taniya and Xray seem like the most obvious choices since they come out with cars most often. I wonder though, will manufacturers think the market is big enough? With lipo only being legal in the US does it make sense to release a lipo based car? I imagine it would cost a lot if they do.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Sigearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 1,815
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Have you seen the Team Magic E4? That car is optimized for Lipos as well. I saw the carpet version up close. The car looks pretty sweet.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: north-west Indiana
Posts: 749
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

X-Ray make a us foam spec car, so why not a lipo spec car. But unfortunately, aside from putting the battery down the center, I think it would have to be saddle pack config. That way the car could be balanced from side to side a heck of a lot easier. But as of yet there are still no hard cased saddle pack lipo's, with the exception of the max amps, and after seeing the "hard case" for those, I am not sure I would call them that.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Oh yeah I forgot about that car. The 3 belt car, right?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
X-Ray make a us foam spec car, so why not a lipo spec car. But unfortunately, aside from putting the battery down the center, I think it would have to be saddle pack config. That way the car could be balanced from side to side a heck of a lot easier. But as of yet there are still no hard cased saddle pack lipo's, with the exception of the max amps, and after seeing the "hard case" for those, I am not sure I would call them that.
Based on ROARs rules Im not sure a saddle pack would be legal (bc of the dimension). I agree there doesnt seem to be a good way to balance it. Though I think the motor down the middle is actually the key. Its now the heaviest item. Im not sure of the weight difference of a lipo vs electronics. I bet its close.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Woz
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 99
Default

to be honest i think the only thing your going to see over the next few months is "raised top decks" and possibly car specific balance weights. New chassis with holes in them to screw in weights etc. with the "hard cased" li-po specifications, there's not a lot they can do. To be honest, just adding two weights on to the car to run a li-po isn't going to warrant a new car design.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Based on ROARs rules Im not sure a saddle pack would be legal (bc of the dimension). I agree there doesnt seem to be a good way to balance it. Though I think the motor down the middle is actually the key. Its now the heaviest item. Im not sure of the weight difference of a lipo vs electronics. I bet its close.
I agree...the motor placement will be the key to new designs. I actually like the E4's design although I think a saddle pack config could be better for it. I would have liked to see the center belt run long ways on the chassis instead of the side belt. (See my crude drawing). But I'm not a car designer....

But I will say that there will/should be some interesting designs coming in the next few years.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 07-18-2008 at 02:23 PM.
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
tTo be honest, just adding two weights on to the car to run a li-po isn't going to warrant a new car design.
Have you actually TRIED to get enough weight onto a LiPo touring car?

It's a handful more than two weights, unless you're using dumbbell weights.



My "heavy" Mi3 with standard steel screw kit and a "heavy" Novak GTB brushless system, and a "heavy" excessive paint job on a thick rubber tire body is still about 90 grams light. That's about 3.15 oz to you Metric-challenged. And I'm using a carbon battery strap to even add weight into the car as it is.

Show me where to put that weight in a contemporary luxury touring car chassis.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Have you actually TRIED to get enough weight onto a LiPo touring car?

It's a handful more than two weights, unless you're using dumbbell weights.



My "heavy" Mi3 with standard steel screw kit and a "heavy" Novak GTB brushless system, and a "heavy" excessive paint job on a thick rubber tire body is still about 90 grams light. That's about 3.15 oz to you Metric-challenged. And I'm using a carbon battery strap to even add weight into the car as it is.

Show me where to put that weight in a contemporary luxury touring car chassis.
Yeah I know what you mean. I have a 127 gram steel plate under my Orion 4800 lipo with another 70 grams of lead on the chassis. It aint pretty.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I see raised top decks and possibly "heavy" lipo batteries. Current rules still make lipo batteries a labor of love. I run the Type R with the steel tray. It makes a clean setup. I don't know if we'll see an evolution of that car or not. If I ran Nimh I might run something else, but I love lipo and the R makes the most sense.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
Sigearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 1,815
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Nimh or Lipo the Type R is one of the best handling cars on the market. It is definitely the best Lipo-ready car out there and with the Lipo tray it's super easy to bring up to weight without all the crazy weight plates and all that stuff other people have to do for the other cars.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
joe of loath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,857
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

lipo's legal here too! same rules as ROAR.
__________________
HPI E-Firestorm - Tamiya TA05 racer (carbon chassis, 10.5 brushless etc) - LRP Blast S10 BX - Revo 2.5r truggy conversion (in progress)
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,264
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default lipo/bl designs

The problem with lipo/bl optimized cars is the weight issue. Since nimh is still the power source of choice, and a nimh 415 layout with bl is balanced, that will be the layout followed for some time.

A balanced losi type-r with 3200 lipo and bl system weighs in at about 46.5 to 47oz. You then have to add 7 ounces of weight to the car, effectively crippling its weight optimized design.

Until nimh falls out of favor and/or roar revises the weight rules for cars, cars optimized for lipo and brushless won't have much of an advantage because you won't be able to run the cars light.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
raffaelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 2,924
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I agree...the motor placement will be the key to new designs. I actually like the E4's design although I think a saddle pack config could be better for it. I would have liked to see the center belt run long ways on the chassis instead of the side belt. (See my crude drawing). But I'm not a car designer....

But I will say that there will/should be some interesting designs coming in the next few years.

Looks like a nitro drive train.
__________________
24ITA
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
raffaelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 2,924
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
lipo's legal here too! same rules as ROAR.

Do you have to run hard cases?
__________________
24ITA
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GTB Spektrum Optimized LOSI123 Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-23-2008 05:42 PM
AMB PT...optimized for telemetry systems Scottrik R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 07-29-2008 06:37 PM
AMB PT...optimized for nitro!! Scottrik R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 07-14-2008 10:07 AM
Lipo Optimized Touring car: Losi JRXS Type R or Team Magic E4? cpatel529 Electric On-Road 9 03-15-2008 09:29 PM
GTB 2.4 Optimized Lipo Cutoff racer34v R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 02-07-2008 06:47 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net