R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #16
Tech Adept

For enough motor information to make your head explode I recomend http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...php?forumid=19 anything you want to know is probably there.

Good luck
Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:20 AM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

Quote:
Originally posted by Steevo
Yes the specs will differ....

My RPM is 22,378
Torque 101.5Nmm
since your motor has about an extra 2000 extra rpm will it make a diffrence if we both geared ours the same and ran it on the track?

but i have a little bit more torque
isit noticeable?
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:17 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Don't forget to oil those bushings......
RC4SALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:43 PM   #19

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

before i run ne motor, i cut the comm, free the bushings up, align the hoods, reshim for magnetic center, new brushes.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:16 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
since your motor has about an extra 2000 extra rpm will it make a diffrence if we both geared ours the same and ran it on the track?

but i have a little bit more torque
isit noticeable?
I think the difference would be hardly noticable and would really depend on the track and whether the motor got to use the extra RPM or not.

The dyno figures on the label never match the numbers I get on my Dyno and I don't expect them to.

When choosing a motor in the store My method is to choose the motor with the best balance of RPM and torque.

With the monster stock Pro I like to try and find a motor with numbers of about 22,000 RPM or so and about 100+ Nmm of torque. When using this method for the Monster Stock I seem to get really good motors. Maybe its just fluke but it works for me...

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: so you mean

Quote:
Hi There Mate,

You can definately use the Monster Stock PRO version straight from the packet.
It has already been trued, Shimmed, had the bushes broken in and had the hoods aligned etc. This is what makes it the PRO Spec Version.

I use all my monster Stock Pro's straight from the Pack with excellent results.

Good Luck

Steevo
Well isn't that cute........but it's wrong!!... J/K

Definately pro or not check the thing out, true the comm, shim the arm, allign the brushes.... and CHECK the hoods for brush binding!! I have had Trinity stock motors with all of these problems and all pro's!!

The Monster seems to be better with brush hood alignment, maybe they made tooling changes to allow for better allignment, but also seems to be far worse in one aspect..... Binding up the brushes in the hoods.....I had a motor hang a brush on it's 2nd run, and agian I tossed another set of brushes o n it's 4th run due to hanging because the brushhoods bound up the brush....

A freind of mine had a monster pro that the hoods where bound so badly the brush wouldn't even touch teh comm...... NOW how can you get a dyno reading with a motor that won't even spool up???? I am serious ut of the package the motor wouldn't even run!!!

Seriously, Trinity pro motors are not given any special treatment what's so ever, aside from a set of 4499's, red/green springs, and about 10 seconds on the dyno..... and I'm seriously doubting it ever hits the dyno anymore......

And how does Trinity choose which motors are destined to be pro's..... einy, meiny, miney, moe.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:16 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: so you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR

Seriously, Trinity pro motors are not given any special treatment what's so ever, aside from a set of 4499's, red/green springs, and about 10 seconds on the dyno..... and I'm seriously doubting it ever hits the dyno anymore......

And how does Trinity choose which motors are destined to be pro's..... einy, meiny, miney, moe.....
ROTFLMAO true very true

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: so you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Well isn't that cute........but it's wrong!!... J/K

Definately pro or not check the thing out, true the comm, shim the arm, allign the brushes.... and CHECK the hoods for brush binding!! I have had Trinity stock motors with all of these problems and all pro's!!

The Monster seems to be better with brush hood alignment, maybe they made tooling changes to allow for better allignment, but also seems to be far worse in one aspect..... Binding up the brushes in the hoods.....I had a motor hang a brush on it's 2nd run, and agian I tossed another set of brushes o n it's 4th run due to hanging because the brushhoods bound up the brush....

A freind of mine had a monster pro that the hoods where bound so badly the brush wouldn't even touch teh comm...... NOW how can you get a dyno reading with a motor that won't even spool up???? I am serious ut of the package the motor wouldn't even run!!!

Maybe I,ve been lucky but of all the monster stocks I have had I have never had a problem. I check the brushes after running the motor for a few minutes to make sure they are wearing perfectly which Indicates correct hood alignment. I have checked the shimming to see if it is shimmed properly and it has never needed anything.
I don't know what it is but I have never had to touch any of the monster stock Pro's I have had and all have been brilliant
And believe me I know how to tune and set up a motor properly...

Steevo
Old 06-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default damn

Damn, i think i better check everything i never knew trinity does that
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #25

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: so you mean

Quote:
Maybe I,ve been lucky but of all the monster stocks I have had I have never had a problem. I check the brushes after running the motor for a few minutes to make sure they are wearing perfectly which Indicates correct hood alignment. I have checked the shimming to see if it is shimmed properly and it has never needed anything.
I don't know what it is but I have never had to touch any of the monster stock Pro's I have had and all have been brilliant
And believe me I know how to tune and set up a motor properly...

Steevo
question

when you align brushes do you file them so they are totally flat????
so the whole brush is just like a rectangular prisim with no edges???

thanx
Old 06-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: so you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
question

when you align brushes do you file them so they are totally flat????
so the whole brush is just like a rectangular prisim with no edges???

thanx
I have used that method but now I use my brush station that will slot, groove and resurface the brushes easily and accurately.
It is easy to see after using this tool and running the motor briefly if the brush is aligned properly by the wear marks on the freshly surfaced brush. I only do this for a used motor though that I suspect has bad hood alignment.

For a brand new motor however I just run the motor briefly when I first get it and check the wear mark on the brush face. I find that to be sufficient.

I think in the end we all have our different experiences with different motors. Personally I have never had a Monster Stock Pro that has been anything but brilliant. I can't say the same for some other motors though.

If you choose to dissect every new Monster Stock Pro you get then thats your choice. I suppose that after a run if you are not happy with the performance then go for it

Steevo

Last edited by Steevo; 06-26-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:21 PM   #27

1 more thing

after you allign the brush properly do you still use that brush or do you use some new ones
Old 06-26-2003, 07:21 PM   #28

1 more thing

after you allign the brush properly do you still use that brush or do you use some new ones
Old 06-26-2003, 08:56 PM   #29
Tech Adept

I use the same brushes because when you run the motor it is only for a short time so you can start to see where the wear mark is. The brush should still be in good condition after doing this.
With new brushes on a new motor that has not been run in, the wear mark should be a thin line down the centre of the brush face until the brush takes to the curve of the comm.
CustomfibreR/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:12 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

What tool do you guys use to align the brush hoods?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote