R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default ROAR Approved LIPOs

I do not see any LIPOs listed under the ROAR approved battery list

1. Is it likely that any packs will be approved before Carpet Nationals?
2. Is it likely that the Orion and peak hard shell will be approved?
3. Are people buying LIPO batteries right now, anticipating certain packs (with hard shells like the Orion) will be approved in the near future?

BONUS Questions

Given the lighter weight of these cells
1. Might that mean that some older heavier chassis or non-woven graphite chassis would become more competitive.

2. Instead of adding lead weights to a chassis to raise weight, wouldn't it make more sence to make some of the more vulnerable parts of the suspension thicker and/or add larger more effective front bumpers.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Jumping the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
I do not see any LIPOs listed under the ROAR approved battery list

1. Is it likely that any packs will be approved before Carpet Nationals?
2. Is it likely that the Orion and peak hard shell will be approved?
3. Are people buying LIPO batteries right now, anticipating certain packs (with hard shells like the Orion) will be approved in the near future?

BONUS Questions

1. Might that mean that some older heavier chassis or non-woven graphite chassis would become more competitive.

2. Instead of adding lead weights to a chassis to raise weight, wouldn't it make more sence to make some of the more vulnerable parts of the suspension thicker and/or add larger more effective front bumpers.

Reading the forums I see a lot of people are buying lipo's they hope/guess are going to be approved. Just keep in mind all those people that bought 13.5 brushless for stock. They were very lucky super stock happened along.
There wont be a separate lipo class to cater for the wrong batts. Dont buy until you know for sure you wont be wasting money. (unless you are rich)
Team Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite

ding ding. absolutely correct.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

ROAR has approved Lipo. Here is the announcement from Dawn, http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201097. They may not have changed the web site yet. Lipo is the future. Only the Nimh battery people/matchers and sponsored drivers are the anchors trying to stop the newest battery from gaining popularity. I run them. My track, Hobbytown Oshkosh, Wi sees the future as Lipo and allows them to be run as lun as I meet the minimum weight. Its nice not having to buy new batteries every 4 months to keep the performance.
rcracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yes ROAR approves lipos but they must meet a certain Spec and at this point there are no ROAR approved lipos yet. Expect to see some soon as the manufacturers are sending there packs in for the approval process.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

ROAR hasn't listed exactly what LiPo have been approved, making it difficult to buy one at the moment for fear of its future legality. ROAR definitely did NOT approve all brands of LiPo across the board. I believe that's what this thread is getting at. The title is a little bit close to the last thread, so it's confusing.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
BONUS Questions

1) Those older chassis are still going to be at a disadvantage. You still need to balance the car and the lipo does not play well with others in that regard.

2) If you make stronger suspension arms, you'll break knuckles and C-hubs. Now you buy aluminum knuckles and C-hubs and you bend them or the bulkhead. Stronger bulkheads might be a good idea but now your arms become the weak point again. Vicious cycle.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
1) Those older chassis are still going to be at a disadvantage. You still need to balance the car and the lipo does not play well with others in that regard.

2) If you make stronger suspension arms, you'll break knuckles and C-hubs. Now you buy aluminum knuckles and C-hubs and you bend them or the bulkhead. Stronger bulkheads might be a good idea but now your arms become the weak point again. Vicious cycle.
Well said!!
RC AMERICA, HUDY, XRAY, Nexus Racing, Desoto Racing, 301 Raceway(RIP). XRAY T4/NT1 coming for that #1 spot!! AKA-Melvin Aulston
Racer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
Yes ROAR approves lipos but they must meet a certain Spec and at this point there are no ROAR approved lipos yet. Expect to see some soon as the manufacturers are sending there packs in for the approval process.

Yep.

that post was made by Andrew Mowery, ROAR Sanctioning Director and member of the Executive Committee.

Yes, we have Lipo rules in place but the approval process is still mandated. We have received some mfg's batteries in the last few days and should they pass the testing, they will be on the approval list and hopefully in time for the Carpet Nats.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Tech Adept

In the new rules it says "hard cased lipo's". Now I personally consider the orion, peak and trakpower lipo's to be hard cased, but what about the companies like SMC and I think MaxAmps that wrap there lipo's with thick plastic, is this also considered a hard case??
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

also, they didnt make carbon fiber chassis' and all the advances because batteries were a few grams heavier. The old chassis' will still be old, and not competitive compared to the newer ones. Since the minimum weight will probably be the same, lead weights will allow people to add weight where needed to balance the car, such as more towards the front, or rear.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pilot_ View Post
In the new rules it says "hard cased lipo's". Now I personally consider the orion, peak and trakpower lipo's to be hard cased, but what about the companies like SMC and I think MaxAmps that wrap there lipo's with thick plastic, is this also considered a hard case??
We can't answer that just yet as we have not seen any of the batteries you mentioned in the testing facility as of yet. Or, if they have arrived, I've not been notified as to the status of the individual results yet.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pilot_ View Post

Spirit of the rule is as it says "hard case" which does not cover shrink wraper packs. Shrink wrap is by no means even close to "hard" as per the spirit of the rule.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Are any lipo batteries approved yet
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAce701 View Post
Are any lipo batteries approved yet
None are on the approval list as of yet. They will be published as soon as we get positive results from the lab regarding submitted batteries.

MFG's have until 2/26 to get them submitted and evaluated by the lab and on the approval list for use at the Carpet Nats, mid March in Omaha.