R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #1051
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowell View Post
Bob,
Thanks for asking. The MAX10 was originally intended to be an upgrade/replacement for the AE 10L2 and is 235mm. The parts that we offer are the chassis, bottom pod plate, top pod plate and chassis brace. You can use our parts to update an existing car or build a new car from the ground up.
I have an Associated Oval car....If I were to purchase your kit, will I have everything I need for a touring version? How much is your kit?

Thanks!
C5Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #1052
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

c5, which oval car do you have? an l3 or l4 would be ideal... somewhere in the pan car thread i posted a complete list of all that's needed..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #1053
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Well things are starting to look bleak in me getting a 1/10 pan. Went to two tracks this morning and no one is running a pan class. Went to bending corners, all touring but was advised if 4 or more peeps had them, they would open it up. I than went to Crystal Park and all nitros. Now James who runs the track says it's ok to run electric but really there is no competition for electirc since it's all nitro, this would only be bashing on Saturday's on practice days. At this point I have two choices, get a electric touring car or a 1/8th Mugen. Was hoping to save money by going with the pan car plus looks easier to set up. Anyone in the Los Angeles area that is considering any of the pan cars that just came out? I really would like the CRC and might still get it and just bash at Crystal Park. Anyways hit me up as I am at least still a month away from considering getting the crc kit.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #1054
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Well things are starting to look bleak in me getting a 1/10 pan. Went to two tracks this morning and no one is running a pan class. Went to bending corners, all touring but was advised if 4 or more peeps had them, they would open it up. I than went to Crystal Park and all nitros. Now James who runs the track says it's ok to run electric but really there is no competition for electirc since it's all nitro, this would only be bashing on Saturday's on practice days. At this point I have two choices, get a electric touring car or a 1/8th Mugen. Was hoping to save money by going with the pan car plus looks easier to set up. Anyone in the Los Angeles area that is considering any of the pan cars that just came out? I really would like the CRC and might still get it and just bash at Crystal Park. Anyways hit me up as I am at least still a month away from considering getting the crc kit.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145

come over here there is alot of socal guy still post over here
Taz_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #1055
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Be patient. The class will get popular soon. World GT for 200mm 1/10 pan will be one of the classes at this year's IIC in Vegas. This will give great stature and validity to the class and it will begin to become more and more popular so just hang in there and it will not be long before there will be full heats at a track near you.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #1056
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
Be patient. The class will get popular soon. World GT for 200mm 1/10 pan will be one of the classes at this year's IIC in Vegas. This will give great stature and validity to the class and it will begin to become more and more popular so just hang in there and it will not be long before there will be full heats at a track near you.
So I should get the kit, practice my driving skills, get my setup and running, more practice and when the heats come to Los Angeles I am ready?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #1057
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
True...for those completely new to the hobby- who have to start from scratch, there a few routs to consider:

1) its better for them to start out with something like a Tamiya F103GT or cheap pan car like the Speedmerchant SpeedSpec.

Car:...................SpeedMerchant or F103GT........$140-150
Motors:...............Use black or silver can motors- $12-$14
ESC....................LRP or novak have cehap ESCs for around $40-$50
Batteries.............6 cell stick packs
Servo.................cheap $20 servo
Charger..............cheap $60 Prophet II charger
Radio.................cheap FM radio and RX combo, with glitching issues...

they will run with his for a few months, then want to upgrade, and have thrown this money away on the cheap stuff...

I'd rather have them at least get a good lipo, or a few 4cell nimh packs, with a good charger like an ICE, and a Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz $180 radio, or Airtronics 2.4ghz radio, and have them enjoy glitch free driving and having good lipos they can use for years with proper care. Much easier in my mind and more money saved in the long run...

2) have them start out witht he right equipment since the beginning...it doesnt have to be the greatest and latest, but at least Spektrum radio, a good Lipo and charger, and a good set of basic tools, BL motor- 17.5 or 21.5 or 13.5, etc...no money wasted and much better performance and much less maintanance.

Well I am considering picking up the new crc gen x 10 and new to the on road scene. Though been playing with the off road and have a hyperion 1606i charger that will do both nimh and lipos, just picked up a Spektrum DX 3.0 and was thinking of picking up a 21.5 novak and gtb for starters. I did have a used gts line up for this weekend but thinking about it, maybe I should just spend a little more with the above 21.5 and gtb. Would this be a good starting point for a pan car and new driver?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #1058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Well I am considering picking up the new crc gen x 10 and new to the on road scene. Though been playing with the off road and have a hyperion 1606i charger that will do both nimh and lipos, just picked up a Spektrum DX 3.0 and was thinking of picking up a 21.5 novak and gtb for starters. I did have a used gts line up for this weekend but thinking about it, maybe I should just spend a little more with the above 21.5 and gtb. Would this be a good starting point for a pan car and new driver?
100%

Dont waste your time and money with the cheap equipment which you'll be throwing away or replacing a few months down the line. Novak GTB is very reliable and easy to use, and your Spektrum Radio is OK. You can now pick up Orion 3200 Lipo packs for around $62 from NexusRacing.com
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #1059
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't mean to be a downer, but does any else here find the use of foams for this class somewhat ironic? If this class is supposed to try and keep RC alive and try to bring in new hobbyists by offering a somewhat lower price point, why are they showcased with foam tires? It seems that for a new hobbyist, wouldn't foam tires be a hinderence? You have to make sure they are the correct diameter, properly adjust ride height and FDR, check for chunking...etc. I think we need to take a look at what we're are trying to promote. I'm all for this class, but having to buy a car that is in the ballpark of $300 isn't really an option when I (and many other people) have to keep food on the table for a family. A new hobbyist can purchase a Ta05 and do pretty well with it box stock, for about $170 plus all the usual items needed to race. I'm hoping manufacturers will be offering FRP kits to try and let guys like me join in the fun. I think we all have to realize that a kit price in the proposed ball park, I feel, won't encourage new buyers (hobbyists) to dive in with those of us that are already vested and accustomed to the costs of this hobby. I just wanted to get this off of my chest, I'm climbing off fo my soapbox box as I write this. Please offer up more opinions,perspectives and possibilities.--Al
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #1060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
I don't mean to be a downer, but does any else here find the use of foams for this class somewhat ironic? If this class is supposed to try and keep RC alive and try to bring in new hobbyists by offering a somewhat lower price point, why are they showcased with foam tires? It seems that for a new hobbyist, wouldn't foam tires be a hinderence? You have to make sure they are the correct diameter, properly adjust ride height and FDR, check for chunking...etc. I think we need to take a look at what we're are trying to promote. I'm all for this class, but having to buy a car that is in the ballpark of $300 isn't really an option when I (and many other people) have to keep food on the table for a family. A new hobbyist can purchase a Ta05 and do pretty well with it box stock, for about $170 plus all the usual items needed to race. I'm hoping manufacturers will be offering FRP kits to try and let guys like me join in the fun. I think we all have to realize that a kit price in the proposed ball park, I feel, won't encourage new buyers (hobbyists) to dive in with those of us that are already vested and accustomed to the costs of this hobby. I just wanted to get this off of my chest, I'm climbing off fo my soapbox box as I write this. Please offer up more opinions,perspectives and possibilities.--Al
Big Al, Not picking on ya, just curious about your perspective. It's our job to stock and supply what people want so here I am asking a question or two.

I'm curious what you feel is a low enough price point for every piece it takes to go racing for a noob.

Not including the things people put into a package to impress their neighbors by saying how much stuff costs.

Also I don't believe anybody would ever purchase a car setup to race without first viewing it at their local club or talking to a bud to make sure they buy the right stuff. I suspect it would be a very well thought out purchase.

$ what it takes, combo for a $175 Ta05.

$ what it takes, combo for a $300 pro-10.

Appreciate your time.

Kindest regards,
-Bob Stormer

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #1061
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Big Al, Not picking on ya, just curious about your perspective. It's our job to stock and supply what people want so here I am asking a question or two.

I'm curious what you feel is a low enough price point for every piece it takes to go racing for a noob.

Not including the things people put into a package to impress their neighbors by saying how much stuff costs.

Also I don't believe anybody would ever purchase a car setup to race without first viewing it at their local club or talking to a bud to make sure they buy the right stuff. I suspect it would be a very well thought out purchase.

$ what it takes, combo for a $175 Ta05.

$ what it takes, combo for a $300 pro-10.

Appreciate your time.

Kindest regards,
-Bob Stormer
Bob, those are good questions. I have to question the premise, however. The thresehold for what anyone (newbie or expert) will spend depends on the individual. I have customers that have a "cost is no object" approach as well as people who have to wait for thier budget to catch up to what they want. They both want the same thing.

The assumption that Pro 10 is a class designed to bring in new racers is also questionable. Big Al, I understand you, but I believe Pro 10 is more of a "relief" class for racers who want to: try something different, simpler, cheaper, or just get away from the complexity of touring cars. I look at the Tamiya classes as being better for entry level racers. Around here Mini and F103GT are becoming popular with experienced racers and newcomers alike. I was at a race recently and was asked to help out a new racer, a youngster with a Tamiya Mini. He got to see touring cars, Pro 10s (235 and 200mm), Minis, 103 GT, god I can't remember, this club races everything. At the end of the day the kid told his dad he wanted to get a 103GT. Smart kid!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack.

The questions about combos for TA-05 and Pro 10 are valid and it would be intersting to hear what racers think.

Last edited by odpurple; 05-14-2008 at 03:31 AM.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #1062
Tech Apprentice

Jeez O.D. Stop calling me a kid I'm 48 years old. it's true I wear short pants but hey I was born in California.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #1063
Tech Elite

Also, friends, please disregard anything anything my buddy Notso has to say. He is, unfortunately, hopelessly brain damaged, but we love him anyway

but he has busted me for staying up late posting instead of working. god knows what he is doing with the other hand...
Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #1064
Tech Master

All I know is I have already over $1,000 invested into this car/hobby as of today.

Shhhhhhhhh don't let the wife hear how much I have already spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Bob, those are good questions. I have to question the premise, however. The thresehold for what anyone (newbie or expert) will spend depends on the individual. I have customers that have a "cost is no object" approach as well as people who have to wait for thier budget to catch up to what they want. They both want the same thing.

The assumption that Pro 10 is a class designed to bring in new racers is also questionable. Big Al, I understand you, but I believe Pro 10 is more of a "relief" class for racers who want to: try something different, simpler, cheaper, or just get away from the complexity of touring cars. I look at the Tamiya classes as being better for entry level racers. Around here Mini and F103GT are becoming popular with experienced racers and newcomers alike. I was at a race recently and was asked to help out a new racer, a youngster with a Tamiya Mini. He got to see touring cars, Pro 10s (235 and 200mm), Minis, 103 GT, god I can't remember, this club races everything. At the end of the day the kid told his dad he wanted to get a 103GT. Smart kid!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack.

The questions about combos for TA-05 and Pro 10 are valid and it would be intersting to hear what racers think.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #1065
Tech Adept

This class is looking great and I cant wait till I get mine. Please hurry UPS!!!!
McAllister Racing///Lauterbacher
Real racers dont wear boxers.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote