R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #676
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Hiya guys, I used to race pro10's many years ago and would say that it was my favourite class of RC racing that I have done over the years. So, I was really happy with news that the class could be coming back. What I don't understand though, is why so many people seem to want to have a go at any of the poeple that are investing time and money into this class of RC. I also don't understand why so many people have opinions on how this class should be run, when there is no class at all at this time!! Back in the day, the car had to be a certain weight, 7.2v's, a Lemans type b'shell and away you go. Why change a great formula? Leave it as that. Pro10's only died out over here due to the popularity of full size TC racing. People went out and converted 4wd buggies and made 'wide' TC's to race with until manufacturers made 'narrow' TC's. I think most people that would race Pro10's nowadays, would do so because the class is known to be fast, that's the point of it! I just don't remember anyone moaning back then about having to run this motor, or that motor...these batteries, those batteries.....Oh, and by the way, the German/Dutch Pro10 scene is alive and kicking and guess what, they run 7.2v and any modified or brushless motor!! Only my 2p worth guys, all the best, Chris.

Could not have said it better myself! 4-cell is for 12 Scale. I don't understand everyone's obsession with slow RC cars. If we run 4 cell this class will be a battery war. 6 cell/7.4 lipo will level the playing field and be ballllissssstic!
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #677
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
Could not have said it better myself! 4-cell is for 12 Scale. I don't understand everyone's obsession with slow RC cars. If we run 4 cell this class will be a battery war. 6 cell/7.4 lipo will level the playing field and be ballllissssstic!
Well...because 4 cell is not slow. We ran 4 cell 10.5 Pro-10(200mm) last weekend and we were turning the exact same lap times as Sedan Mod.

The week before we had run 5.5 on 4 cells. We were almost half a second a lap FASTER than Sedan Mod. The owner of the track asked us to motor down next time we ran because the regular guys at the track were talking about how scary fast the cars were moving and they were getting turned off.

I used to race ballistic 27T, 6 cell 235 cars. They were so ballistic novices could not make 5 min without destroying their cars.

Nothing I can say will convince you of this so by all means run 6 cell or 7.4 Lipo and find out for yourself.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #678
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Well...because 4 cell is not slow. We ran 4 cell 10.5 Pro-10(200mm) last weekend and we were turning the exact same lap times as Sedan Mod.

The week before we had run 5.5 on 4 cells. We were almost half a second a lap FASTER than Sedan Mod. The owner of the track asked us to motor down next time we ran because the regular guys at the track were talking about how scary fast the cars were moving and they were getting turned off.

I used to race ballistic 27T, 6 cell 235 cars. They were so ballistic novices could not make 5 min without destroying their cars.

Nothing I can say will convince you of this so by all means run 6 cell or 7.4 Lipo and find out for yourself.
hmm i didnt know they ran mod last weekend
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #679
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
hmm i didnt know they ran mod last weekend
I asked Ron and Austin what the fast mod lap times were the last time they ran mod.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #680
Tech Adept

"Could not have said it better myself! 4-cell is for 12 Scale. I don't understand everyone's obsession with slow RC cars. If we run 4 cell this class will be a battery war. 6 cell/7.4 lipo will level the playing field and be ballllissssstic!"

Guy...you couldn't be more wrong.
12thScaleCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #681
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Everyone will see for themselves what will be ideal for this class. I have run both and prefer 4 cell mod. 7.4 lipo and 13.5 is fun also. It runs like mod 4 cell. Any more than a 13.5 and 7.4 lipo requires a really large track. Tracks that large are not common so most will probably run 4 cell mod and enjoy the hell out of it.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #682
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:

I agree! For most of you have never ran 6 cell 27T 235 way fast! 4 cell is really the way to go.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #683
Super Moderator

Quote:
I asked Ron and Austin what the fast mod lap times were the last time they ran mod.
wow i guess our 13.5 laptimes arent too far of the mod times

me and robert are planning to run some mod tomorow
Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #684
Tech Regular

In our race last weekend we were MUCH SLOWER (with 6cell/lipo 13.5) on the straight than the mod touring cars, but our laps times were faster. I think 6 cell 10.5 would be too fast. We allow 4 cell 19t as well, but no one chose to run that setup. I don't disagree that 4 cell only would make a good class, but with 6cell/lipo 13.5 we achieved our speed/lap time goal and we got people out to race.
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #685
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

damn, so how fast are they moving with the 6 cell and a hot mod, like a 7 turn? and what would the difference be with 4 cell?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #686
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
damn, so how fast are they moving with the 6 cell and a hot mod, like a 7 turn? and what would the difference be with 4 cell?
The last time Pro-10 was raced at the Worlds was at Yatabe Arena Japan in 2000. The cars were running Sanyo RC2000 NiCd's, with 8 turn mods and were going over 60mph on the straight. There were a few small bumps that caused blow overs. One car flew over over a 4 foot fence and missed removing Masami Hirosaka's head by a few inches. After this race IFMAR had a meeting and determined it was too dangerous to continue racing Pro-10 and it was never run again.

At The 2000 ROAR Carpet Nats at Minnreg in FL, Jeff Brown tapped the pipe on the back straight in Mod Pro-10 flew about 20' and hit the wall at the end of the back straight about 5" off the ground. After that a meeting was called and the drivers all agreed that racing these cars was too dangerous and Josh Cyrul was crowned the last Pro-10 Nats Champ after one round of qualifying.

I racers 1/10th pan cars from 1989 until the classed died in 2001. I was there from the start to the finish of the class. The guys that say 6 cell is not that fast are not doing something right. 13.5, 6 cell or Lipo should be a lot faster than Sedan mod when geared to the max temps conditions allow. The last time I raced 6 cell 27T, 235mm I was 2/10ths faster than sedan mod on a 100x50 carpet track.

Jason and I were testing the DB10R for the last 2 weeks. We were running 5.5 4 cell at a 40mm roll out. I think we were still under geared. With 5.5's on 4 cell were were faster than most mod sedans lap times.

Last weekend we ran Novak 10.5's on 4 cell at 68mm roll out (no I am not kidding and I did check my math...twice) . Even with that roll out we could spin the tires (Pink Jaco's with Paragon and suntan lotion) coming out of corners and were we about the same speed as the mod sedans.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #687
Tech Regular

Please READ what I said. Our 6cell 13.5 cars were slower down the straight. They WILL BE SLOWER than a mod sedan in top speed, which is all I said. Those racing pro10 last week included national and regional ROAR champs so we do know what we are doing. I admit it was our first time with these cars so we will go faster in the future when we figure out the car and motor setups. By the way the mod touring cars at that race were driven by racers who have been in numerous A mains at some of the biggest races in the country, so they were fast as well. I respect your opinion, but I am getting tired of being told that none of us know how to make these cars go fast or whats good for the RC sport. No hard feelings as we are all trying to make this class a success.
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #688
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
wow i guess our 13.5 laptimes arent too far of the mod times

me and robert are planning to run some mod tomorow
That layout doesnt allow for mod sedans or pro 10 mod cars to open up too much. Considering you me and adrian who were running 13.5 TC would have qualified 3,4,and 5 in the 10.5 TC class just goes to show you how the track doesnt reward straight line speed. Yet the 10.5 pro 10 cars were still the fastest around the track of any class. We were way off pace of the mod cars and pro 10 cars on that layout. 2 or 3 tenths a lap seperates each class on that sweeping layout. And pro 10 was about .5-.6 seconds a lap faster than the fastest 13.5. Reminder that the track was extremely dirty which does not help a foam tire car. With a clean track the pro 10 cars would be at least 1 second a lap faster on that very layout.
J Concepts
Old 02-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #689
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrc View Post
Please READ what I said. Our 6cell 13.5 cars were slower down the straight. They WILL BE SLOWER than a mod sedan in top speed, which is all I said. Those racing pro10 last week included national and regional ROAR champs so we do know what we are doing. I admit it was our first time with these cars so we will go faster in the future when we figure out the car and motor setups. By the way the mod touring cars at that race were driven by racers who have been in numerous A mains at some of the biggest races in the country, so they were fast as well. I respect your opinion, but I am getting tired of being told that none of us know how to make these cars go fast or whats good for the RC sport. No hard feelings as we are all trying to make this class a success.
We are all still figuring the gearing out dude. I was amazed at the gearing i ran last weekend and i still dont think its right. In time we will all have things figured out as far as direction to take the sport but in the meantime, its all about just having fun. The whole brushless thing is tricky. The motors are so touchy with gearing and once we all get it figured out with the voltage we are running(4,6 or lipo 7.4) then we can better say which way to go. I am really enjoying this class so far and that is the most important thing. These cars are a blast.
J Concepts
Old 02-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #690
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
That layout doesnt allow for mod sedans or pro 10 mod cars to open up too much. Considering you me and adrian who were running 13.5 TC would have qualified 3,4,and 5 in the 10.5 TC class just goes to show you how the track doesnt reward straight line speed. Yet the 10.5 pro 10 cars were still the fastest around the track of any class. We were way off pace of the mod cars and pro 10 cars on that layout. 2 or 3 tenths a lap seperates each class on that sweeping layout. And pro 10 was about .5-.6 seconds a lap faster than the fastest 13.5. Reminder that the track was extremely dirty which does not help a foam tire car. With a clean track the pro 10 cars would be at least 1 second a lap faster on that very layout.
we need to go to Ronnie's