R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #631
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The sad thing is the newer 'racers' don't reaaly know what is good for themselves. Here we ran a 10.5 rubber tire T/C class. options were that or 1/12. Few wanted the attention to detail of 1/12 so they went T/C. 6 cell 10.5 is a handful you add rubber tire to it and you get parts breakage galore and ill handling cars for anyone who isn't spending countless hours developing a suspension. Bottom line after 2 years our turnout has dwindled to next to nothing, our inability to offer a starter class and the ease at which a newbie could just buy speed has nearly killed our roadcourse program.

Now we started Trans-Am which has been gaining momentum but some want to stick Li-Po in Guys are already talking about running a Pro-10 class with Li-Po. Most of those guys haven't taken the time to get good at 4-cell 1/12. Give the newer racer a choice and they will make the wrong one every time.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #632
Tech Initiate

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team CRC View Post
I write this response from a hotel as I am traveling this weekend.

In any case, as I traveled today away from the computer, you can see, Mrs. CRC could not sit by idle any longer and watch her company and her husband get accused of breaking agreements and not sticking to the plan. Thank you honey for stepping in when I was unavailable, you always got my back!

Frank Calandra
Well, you know what happens when school vacations hit! Got all this time on my hands, maybe its time to clean the hobby store!:
Mrs. CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #633
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
The sad thing is the newer 'racers' don't reaaly know what is good for themselves. Here we ran a 10.5 rubber tire T/C class. options were that or 1/12. Few wanted the attention to detail of 1/12 so they went T/C. 6 cell 10.5 is a handful you add rubber tire to it and you get parts breakage galore and ill handling cars for anyone who isn't spending countless hours developing a suspension. Bottom line after 2 years our turnout has dwindled to next to nothing, our inability to offer a starter class and the ease at which a newbie could just buy speed has nearly killed our roadcourse program.

Now we started Trans-Am which has been gaining momentum but some want to stick Li-Po in Guys are already talking about running a Pro-10 class with Li-Po. Most of those guys haven't taken the time to get good at 4-cell 1/12. Give the newer racer a choice and they will make the wrong one every time.
Exactly what most of us are concerned about. Great post.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #634
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thScaleCrazy View Post
Just saw a good write up on the SpeedMerchant site about 200mm pan cars, with some pics of Bruce's version.

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/news.html

I vote for 4-cell with GT bodies for in-door racing. There's lots of bodies already available for 200mm. If there is enough interest maybe a 235mm 6-cell/Lipo out-door class?

I know up North here, we do very little asphalt racing unless it's gas. Our parking lots are crappy.

Just my opinion.

Oh great. Just what we need another design from Bruce with no parts support and no custmer service. Owning a SM car has been nothing short of a nightmare... I am glad I made the switch...
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know what happens when you go to a hobby shop down here.They sell speed because that new guy want's to go fast.At a race what is one of the first questions that comes out of a passing spectator-"How fast does it go". They go to the hobbyshop and get the fastest. Now we have people that have not driven these cars ever or in awhile and want to go fast.When we raced these things in the late 80's-90's the batteries and stock motors got faster.Look at a stock motor today and compair it to the motor from the 80's.Now we have brushless and the coming of Lipo's(not for all classes yet). Now we've got even more speed again. This is what happened before.Maybe when everyone starts racing them and some classes want to fast we can keep the speed reasonable regardless of what chassis size.This is a new/old class and we have new batteries and motors coming out all the time- it will be interesting.I'm looking to see when I can retire my Touring car to the shelf- hopefully summertime.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've been following this thread a bit, and here's my take on a consumer end. I primarily run EP 1/10 TC, dabbled in nitro for a while, and did run 1/12th. The problem with 1/12th is that it didnt have "mass" appeal and you hardly see them here, although I felt it was the most fun I'd had in onroad. My worries is that I'm seeing alot of "4 cell" thrown around, when the industry is now more than ever saying "Lipo".
If you want to appeal to a wider customer you must make these lipo capable chassis, if you dont, your just making a larger, slower, 1/12 pan car and calling it 1/10 scale. My point is that PPL want to buy whats "new" and "hot", 4 cell has already been done. Bring a 1/10 200mm pan with lipo appeal and your saying "new" to the customer. This intern will make this class flourish. If your going that ruite with 4 cell, I'd rather stick with 1/12 its already an established class. As a TC racer if all I have to do with a pro10 car is use my exhisting lipo and load it with a 17.5, or 13.5 and decent electronics to go fast, I'm there. I'm tired of these $450+ Tc cars, tires that last 2 runs, and ridiculous bodies that resemble nothing.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #637
Tech Lord

Not to worry. All of the car will probably be lipo compatable. I dont want to speak for everyone who hasnt released there car yet. Ours will accept a 7.4 lipo pack. Not in the same configuration. You can really put any pack in any car if you really want to but ours is designed for saddle pack to form a square pack. I based this on the new track power hardcase saddle pack lipo. This will allow for ideal weight placement between electronics and battery. There will be no need to add weight to balance the car. This goes for 4 cell also. You will use your electronics instead of added weight for static balance.
J Concepts
Old 02-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #638
Tech Apprentice

Default Pro 10 Class! keep it 200mm!!

The Pro 10 Class as a racing body is a great Idea!!!
It should be kept at 200mm & GT Body i for one feel this would be best!

I have ordered the CRC. and I will also order the BMI Car as well.

Our track is 90 x 280 and it has been setup in ways that the 4 cell car is best and in ways the Lipo cars work best.

I would say all over the world people will run and race what ever they want!

But for a National or International event there should be one set of rules!

The Car I am testing has been tested as a 190mm 200mm 235mm and Oval Chassis as well for Nascar Racing & a Touring Car body and chassis with 1 win to my name to date, and 6 cells 4 cells and lipo's all will have there place in racing I would say.

And we have not got 1 email on this class of car from anyone. as we do not care about that also.

Next we also started the Vintage seires over a year ago with HPI Camaro and Mustang 200mm -215mm bodies. with 5 to 6 cars running in this class. and looking for more bodies, Today we race in my fathers warehouse on racing carpet, (not open to the public sorry) we all have the same chassis given to us to test and the 200mm cars work as good if not better than all the other chassis setups!

This is why we want to see other people coming out with these cars as well CRC BMI ex.................. Bring them on!

We are looking at a class for 4 cell and 6 cell and lipos.
our Chassis will work and is made for all 3.

next we have a startup class 4 cell 200mm spec tire GT body only

2 main wins and you can move upto PRO6

Pro 6 cell class no motor limit. no tire limit. GT body only

2 main wins you can move upto PRO Lipo

pro lipo Class 7.4 no motor limit. no tire limit. GT body only

Vintage Class same as above but with Vintage Bodies only.

Maybe a 235mm Class unlimited ! GTP bodies only

Thanks
C.C.
Cunningham1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #639
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jason - My DB10R is ready and you are going down tomorrow...just thought you should know
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #640
Tech Lord

Im glad to see you still have hope. It is almost sad that it will be shattered after today
J Concepts
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #641
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Im glad to see you still have hope. It is almost sad that it will be shattered after today
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Actually there is a cause, to help save the onroad racing by getting the interest back again

Just like you have been saying about the price, right?

$300 (roughly) for these pro 10's
$335 for a TC5 (cheapest, competitive, TC I can think of)

$35 is not going to save on road racing, even a $100 isnt going to save it.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #643
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post

Before you all go getting your panties in a bunch, what is the difference between MSRP and street prices? AE has the MSRP of the B44 at $549.99. I know for a fact that my LHS has the price for this kit well under $400. I am not saying that the price differential will be the same. Companies will commomly allow you to purchase their kits from their own site, for MSRP in order to allow retailers to have some freedom in their price mark-ups. Retailers know what the market threshold is, and will set their prices accordingly. The moral of this story is SUPPORT YOUR LHS, OR YOU WILL BE RACING ON THE STREETS!
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #644
Tech Champion

Quote:
...and it was well warrented hope since I beat you by 9 seconds

We won't talk about my TQ and lapping you twice in Sedan
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #645
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post

Its not price that is killing the sedan class...its complexity. You just can't slap one together and expect it to be a-main ready. There is a steep learning curve for setting up a sedan and many racers never learn enough to really KNOW their car and how it really works.

Pro-10 cars are much more simple. There are far fewer adjustments and the chages you can make make common sense. They are easier to drive, they are easeir to work on, have far fewier pieces, etc.

All of this makes Pro-10 cars better for novices, regular sunday racers, and harcore racers.