R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #571
Tech Initiate

sorry, dbl post

Last edited by Mrs. CRC; 02-15-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Mrs. CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #572
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The way I read it was that some 12th scale manufacturers had been talking about regenerating interest in pro 10 cars and that a combined effort would have a better chance than each company doing their own thing. I certainly never read into it that it was some sort of cartel.

Personally, I think CRC were extremely smart in making a car versatile enough to be used in any pro10 class no matter what the rules at a club may be. I'll be waiting to see what all of the manufacturers come up with before making a decision though.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #573
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

well i guess we know who wears the pants at the crc house
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #574
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mrs CRC,

I never accused any company of anything. I was just getting disappointed of where the direction was turning. The focus was going away. Whatever frank wants to do with his car is purely up to him and his company. I was concerned about putting alot of my effort towards a class that was losing direction. I didnt ever say that we had a so called pact but just some guidelines for a class. The 235mm cars are run in small clicks who run on oversized tracks and that is cool. Its nice that franks car offers that but to increase the cost for such a small market i found unusual being that we didnt want to raise costs. I figured if we all spent more time and our dollars trying to make the best 200mm we could, then the end user would get more for there money to run in 200mm. If i was to make a car to support 235 it would be a 235mm car. Just my oppinion on the matter. Again, im not trying to take anything away from you guys. I spoke to frank for a little bit at the snowbirds and we got along nicely and i enjoyed our brief conversation. I wouldnt intentionally try to down him.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #575
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LoL!

Well I can see how Mrs CRC got all bent out of shape. Reading over Jason's post kinda made it sound like he felt CRC should of made a more simple design rather than making it fully adjustable to suit other/all ProTen classes. It was CRC's decision to do this and I credit this to them. One car to suit many classes rather than making "other" cars. However this should not affect how Jason should design a car if his audience is only the new usa 200mm Pro10 class.

Anyways, that's how I read into all this. Blah blah blah.... enough bickering. When can we see the other cars?? More pics!!! Got any video of car testing with 4cell brushless? Can we rename the class to GT10 or GTTen? GT for the bodies we will run. This'll separate it from the original ProTen.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #576
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
well i guess we know who wears the pants at the crc house

If your referring to the Calandra home as the "CRC house", I guess your right! She who cleans it, rules it!
Mrs. CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #577
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As an observer of the last few comments- I never got that impression.As far as what it meant to me, the manufacturers had talked at various times about the 200mm cars. If someone wanted to to make a wide version so be it. Corally's new car can go either way as well as CRC.So what's the big deal?As far as CRC I've know Frank for many years-I met him at the nationals in Plano Texas when he was driving for Corally.I've also had dealing with him on the Bullet TC.Overall both Frank and Jason (I've met at the Fl.State races) our looking at the state of our Hobby- It's needs a new direction and I think these 200mm cars are what were need right now.Running GT bodys that's fine with me. So can we just get the car kits out to the public and go racing?
So presently I've got my 200 mm chassis and it's got a TA body. I had fun racing against the TC and at the next race I hope there are more pan cars coming.Then we can break the class up into two groups because I think we will blow the doors off the TC's. Now let's go out and have some fun.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #578
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
LoL!

Well I can see how Mrs CRC got all bent out of shape. Reading over Jason's post kinda made it sound like he felt CRC should of made a more simple design rather than making it fully adjustable to suit other/all ProTen classes. It was CRC's decision to do this and I credit this to them. One car to suit many classes rather than making "other" cars. However this should not affect how Jason should design a car if his audience is only the new usa 200mm Pro10 class.

Anyways, that's how I read into all this. Blah blah blah.... enough bickering. When can we see the other cars?? More pics!!! Got any video of car testing with 4cell brushless? Can we rename the class to GT10 or GTTen? GT for the bodies we will run. This'll separate it from the original ProTen.

My concern was not adjustability, it was the price. With the high cost of TC i didnt want to make these cars this close in price.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #579
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. CRC View Post
JUST NOT TRUE! After discussing this thread with Frank, I feel there needs to be some clarification on this thread. He will construct a reply when he is back in town.

First of all, CRC's GenX 10 takes many of the same parts as the Gen X. This was also true for the Pantoura, Franks original 10th scale. It was based off the Carpet Knife 3.2. As far as some major discussion at the Snowbirds, well if there was, CRC was not part of this. The 10th was done and on display at that time.

The inference I get from reading through this thread is that this was some sort of "joint effort" among 12th manufacturer's and I feel that is VERY misleading to the consumer. Frank has been in this hobby for 22 years and CRC has been in business for 15 years. The staff is made up of seasoned racers who are very committed the hobby, and work hard daily at customer satisfaction as well as quality control.

While there may be casual discussions between other manufacturers and CRC, I have never known Frank to enter any joint-contracts or "agreements" on design or development. He is a degreed engineer and has complete control and confidence in anything that goes to production. The only people that have had input on this latest release was the company staff.
No one implied that any one had anything to do with the design of your car. However, Frank certainly was in on discussions about the rebirth of Pro 10 with 6 other manufactueres at least since before Christmas. It was just manufacturers working together towards a common goal. PM you direct email and I will forward you the emails that went back and forth between the 7 manufacturers involved in the 200mm Pro 10 project. Frank certainly participated.

None of this had any then to do with the specific design of our cars just discussion about common goad as as as dimension, bodies, power systems etc.

Everything Jason (ProTC3) posted was based on concepts discussed and agreed upon by all in these emails and regarding discussions with Frank and others one on one at the Snowbirds.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #580
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
My concern was not adjustability, it was the price. With the high cost of TC i didnt want to make these cars this close in price.
Why worry about what other companies set their prices at? Get the guidelines agreed upon by all MFGs written down, define what you think the class needs on a piece of paper in front of you. Next define your own specs, and price point. Aim to make a chassis using these as guidelines. If anything falls out of line with what you originally intended with your chassis, make the necessary changes until it meets the goals you set out to accomplish. Ignore the armchair banter, it will only aggravate and irritate.

I bought the original TC3 chassis conversion and have had 2 360 chassis for the FK01. Both were quality pieces. Stick to your guns and ignore the rumor mill, it only makes your life hard. - just my .02...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #581
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. CRC View Post
If your referring to the Calandra home as the "CRC house", I guess your right! She who cleans it, rules it!
lol

Last edited by Marcos.J; 02-15-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #582
Tech Elite

Well their car is just under $300 for a topend pancar. That's what... $40 more than their 12th scale car. Not bad I don't think. Top end TC's are $400 to $490++. That's a big savings right there over TC cars. I know there are cheaper TC's out there. You could get a TA05 for $120 to $150 and do just fine club racing. But still.....

Just out of curiousity, how much less would it cost to make the exact same car as your DB10R except with a fiberglass chassis instead of carbon fiber? I'm not saying you should make it fiberglass. But offer a cheaper alternative. Much like a TC3 racer kit vs a TC3FT. How much would that cut down on the street price of a kit? And is cost your only concern? And does cost of the chassis reflex cost to run and maintain in this class? I don't think there is a real way to "cut" costs on building and/or selling a good car. I think the cost of maintaining the car and racing it will be where the real cost savings will be for this class. And that's what will appeal to the people. So don't place too much emphasis on chassis cost. That's just how I see it.

It would be nice to have a cheaper version for some. But "upgrading" it adds up. Just like back in the day a RC12L3 was around $150. A CRC was around $250 or so. But add in the lower pod plates, large ring diffs, lowered front arms, etc etc... the $250 was a bargain. Blah blah blah... hehe

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #583
Tech Elite

like sand through an hourglass.. these are the days of our lives.
-
GT10 might be a good name change. PRO10 was for Prototype - or so i thought.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #584
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Just like back in the day a RC12L3 was around $150. A CRC was around $250 or so. But add in the lower pod plates, large ring diffs, lowered front arms, etc etc... the $250 was a bargain. Blah blah blah... hehe
yes true but also back in the day gasoline was about $.89 per gallon

you are asking BMI to make a cheaper car ? thats like asking Enzo Ferrari to make a cheaper version of the F40 Ferrari
Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #585
Tech Elite

Damn you!! haha... So true... so true. Back in the day I drove from NC to Cali for under $150 in 2 days! Try that now at these gas prices! Of course I was paid less back then too.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03