R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 AM   #496
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Man, it got awful quiet in here...this class could make for a very interesting outdoor season. I know that with the motor specs being mentioned we arent going to burn up some of the nitro tracks around but I think that those places would be good spots to look into for testing these things out.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #497
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Man, it got awful quiet in here...this class could make for a very interesting outdoor season. I know that with the motor specs being mentioned we arent going to burn up some of the nitro tracks around but I think that those places would be good spots to look into for testing these things out.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #498
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just waiting till next month to try out some new cars. I'll probably hang up my TC and play around with a Pro10 car for awhile.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #499
Tech Regular

Well I built up my lipo pro 10 and tested it yesterday

Here is a report of how it went

My conclusion is that there is NO way these cars should be limited to 4 cell. 4 cell is would be way too limited for the track I tested on.

That is not to say that the power I had would be too much for a small track. That I fully accept. But by virtue of those people like myself that will race on large tracks the cars need to be ready for the power. 4 cell closes that door.

Now if you look at it from this perspective you see the real problem with 4 cell.

It is an exclusive way to go rather than an inclusive.

You are basically saying to the people who want to run on large tracks "we don't care about you".

Is this just the America way?. Like you invent your own sports regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #500
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
RB, didnt they try to get a 10th pan class going at the Gate at one point?
I am not real sure about that. I was out of the racing for about 2 years so it could have happened during that time.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #501

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From what I understand the new cars coming out will accept 6 cells.
Most US drivers posting here do feel 4 cell would be better suited or their local tracks.
Fine with me.
Over here in Europe we'll just run what suits us best (6 cell or Lipo and 3.5 turns).
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #502
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland View Post
From what I understand the new cars coming out will accept 6 cells.
Most US drivers posting here do feel 4 cell would be better suited or their local tracks.
Fine with me.
Over here in Europe we'll just run what suits us best (6 cell or Lipo and 3.5 turns).
I'm trying to get pro 10 going again here in the London area. It'll be a run what you brung class, anything goes.

If it picks up I can see us using wind limits for the smaller tracks. Probably 13.5 indoors on carpet.

The one thing that is going to prevent 200mm from being a success over here is that there are no prototype bodyshells for them. If we are all racing together a GT shell will not stand a chance against a proto. I would like to see 200mm mainstream.

The beauty of a 200mm pro10 would be that you could run it in summer on a 1/8th track at 80mph or indoors on carpet with a 13.5t motor . Very limited wear and tear on the car.

I have a new repect for foam tyres. I always thought they were a nuisance because they wear down and you have to adjust gearing and ride hight. But what is so great is that they provide tons of grip and do not change much with temperature. Don't have to worry about changing componds every 5 minutes because the track temps going up and down .
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #503
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This class was supposed to be brought back as an inexpensive way to run 1/10th class. We have all agreed to make them a 1/10th version of our 1/12th cars and that is obviously not happening. This was an attempt to start a class that never could get off the ground by making them inexpensive,fast and fun. Running them on 6 cell and 7.4 volt lipo with low wind motors is not the way to bring new blood to the hobby. There has been alot more people getting out of the hobby than getting in because of price and complexity of the TC. If we have cars exceeding speeds of 75mph, they will break in crahses. light taps will do a ton of damage and parts replacement will become the new high price of this class. Not to mention, they are harder to drive at these speeds.

Cars flipping off the track can be deadly. Track owners will not want to deal with the liability. This will make it certain that this class will not leave the ground. If this is the route the class is going to take, it is dead before it is born.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #504
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
This class was supposed to be brought back as an inexpensive way to run 1/10th class. We have all agreed to make them a 1/10th version of our 1/12th cars and that is obviously not happening. This was an attempt to start a class that never could get off the ground by making them inexpensive,fast and fun. Running them on 6 cell and 7.4 volt lipo with low wind motors is not the way to bring new blood to the hobby. There has been alot more people getting out of the hobby than getting in because of price and complexity of the TC. If we have cars exceeding speeds of 75mph, they will break in crahses. light taps will do a ton of damage and parts replacement will become the new high price of this class. Not to mention, they are harder to drive at these speeds.

Cars flipping off the track can be deadly. Track owners will not want to deal with the liability. This will make it certain that this class will not leave the ground. If this is the route the class is going to take, it is dead before it is born.
Have you never watched a 1/8th race?

Well over here it is will never be a success as a newbie class. The cars are not cheep enough for a start. TT01 is filling that gap perfectly.

It's a bit of a cheek saying you are making thes cars for beginners and then charging $300. I'm not saying that is an unfair price for the materials and workmanship but a beginner does not want to be forced to buy a top of the line chassis straight away.

What we have missed at our clubs is aspirational class, something beginners can watch in awe. Create some exictment at the track. Some buzz. A slow as hell pan car is not going to excite anyone .

I was a bit unsure of running an insane speed car untill I tested it yesterday. I had quite a few crashes and all I broke was a body post. The amount of downforce at 70mph was so much that there is little chance of losing control. I only had those crashes because I was still sorting the car out. I found because the car was only 1.1kg it did not carry much momentum and would be no danger to anyone except maybe a hampster .
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #505
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have seen 1/8th and i have also seen that class get close to zero support because of the liabilty. you are taking a car of much less weight,making it go the same speed and expecting it to stay on the track in a crash. They go airborn and hit at extreme speed. I have seen these car break in 4 cell with minimal crashes so increasing the speed will cause much more damage.

I ran my 4 cell car with a 3.5 and a 4.5 and am reaching speeds between 50 and 60. This is plenty fast for the RC enthusiest.

300 is too much for entry level cars and this is why i am losing interest extremely fast. My origional plan was to keep it at 250 for top of the line but it seems no one is sticking to the plan. I am seriously thinking of pulling out of this agreement with the direction things are going. This is very disapointing.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #506
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
I have seen 1/8th and i have also seen that class get close to zero support because of the liabilty. you are taking a car of much less weight,making it go the same speed and expecting it to stay on the track in a crash. They go airborn and hit at extreme speed. I have seen these car break in 4 cell with minimal crashes so increasing the speed will cause much more damage.

I ran my 4 cell car with a 3.5 and a 4.5 and am reaching speeds between 50 and 60. This is plenty fast for the RC enthusiest.

300 is too much for entry level cars and this is why i am losing interest extremely fast. My origional plan was to keep it at 250 for top of the line but it seems no one is sticking to the plan. I am seriously thinking of pulling out of this agreement with the direction things are going. This is very disapointing.
I don't think 1/8th onroad has lost many more regulars than any other class. It was once very big but the speeds were very fast back then too.

There is no way to control prices to make a class for beginners unless it's spec like the tt01. Don't worry so much about that. Just think about if you can make a kit for less than $200 using grp and plastic and it's upgradable you will have cornered the market . When a company does this it gives customers a sense of loyalty. Shuchmacher always sold a grp version of their cars, it seems these days in the TC world no company is interested in doing this anymore. That puts off many beginners.

It sometime nice to be able to buy the grp version and see how you like it and if you want to continue racing and then you can upgrade to carbon or buy the top kit and have the spares that came in your budget kit.

Something I think you really need to do is a lot of marketing, Get the hype going. Hype can be a good thing, you yanks are normaly good at it . Get some awsome 200mm bodies sprayed up like the crc's saleen and get pimpin' them

Oh and some cool promo footage too Stick it on u toob
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #507
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
Hype can be a good thing, you yanks are normaly good at it
Yes, we aspire to raise our "hype" game to the level the Brits are able to operate at...

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #508
Tech Regular

yeah if we were you'd have football and not some bizzar interpretation of rugby

Reminds me of Dario Fanchitti, no one in this country has even heard of him
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #509
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
yeah if we were you'd have football and not some bizzar interpretation of rugby
To say nothing of this bizarre spelling of "bizarre" we seem to have picked up once we ran the redcoats off... Probably the damn French.

But back to matters at hand:

Why did things "quiet down"? Probably because some parties to the discussion decided that anything said re: voltages, etc that they didn't absolutely agree with was "noise".

Is there an answer that will satisfy everybody in all situations? Nope.

Is it going to be a TRAGEDY if Jason gives up on marketing the BMI car? Absolutely. That said, Subliminal Man says "Jason ($250) I really ($250) think you ($250) should make the ($250) car and that ($250) a $300 price point is probably fine."

Why not an "entry-level" GRP car? Because it would, in it's own way, drive the overall cost of production for BOTH versions up. Don't believe me? Just ask anybody in charge of such things at any of the chassis oem's. Plus I really don't think it would be a good enough seller. The majority of people entering the hobby that I've seen the last 20 years either buy the best used car they can find or spring for high end gear 'cause that's how they'll be fast.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

If you guys had a clue, build the rules, and then a class, if you want something cheap go trans am racing.

I believe the ke factors should be.

kit under $250 (great idea)
21.5 with a lipo
or 13.5 4 cell
spec tires.

Heck you could even use legends electronics in them and make this class the natural progression for guys who wanted to move to roadcourse from legends.

If the class takes off then you can make multiple power pack setups. but intirially I think you guys need to start an association, make up rules and then build cars to fit the rules.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote