R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #196
Tech Regular

If this class goes to 6 cell or 2 cell LiPo I won't run it. Most of us aren't racing on some big 1/8th track each week.

If the guys at the big 1/8th tracks want to run 6 cell then fine pony up. For parkinglot and carpet racing 4 cell will be more than enough for %90 of the racers out there.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #197
Tech Regular

Sorry bud but you can't go around demanding how many cell everyone else runs just because you can't bare to run a higher wind motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If this class goes to 6 cell or 2 cell LiPo I won't run it. Most of us aren't racing on some big 1/8th track each week.

If the guys at the big 1/8th tracks want to run 6 cell then fine pony up. For parkinglot and carpet racing 4 cell will be more than enough for %90 of the racers out there.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #198
Tech Addict

I have been following this thread...and Pro 10 sounds like a good idea. I think ROAR needs to step in and get the ball rolling. After all these cars come out...figure out the best battery/motor combo and write a set of rules so local tracks can get this going.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #199
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Jev, what I am trying to come up with is a simple set of rules that make it possible for everyone to not only be on an even playing field, but also at a level they can afford. That is what has allowed the VTA (Vintage Trans-Am) class to blossom so much even in the last couple months. Even the 12th scale guys can get in on this by going 4 cell because they dont really have to change anything with their batteries. Really I dont want to see this class get overly caught up in getting too much technology into the class. LiPo Im sure is something that could be workable at a later point, as well as some flexibility with brushless, but right now I think the goal is to get this class to the masses first on the club level and then hopefully on the national level. If we go having all these different rules and bringing in all these different technologies, this could be dead before we even get it off the ground.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #200
Tech Fanatic

The Great Debate! PRO10 Cell count

Lower Volts(3.7 to 4.8V)
Pros: Low-wind motors will do well. Less cell count, less cost per pack. Speeds are fast, but not the fastest. 4-Cell packs will work on any pan car 1:10 oval, 1:12 road and oval!

Cons: Single Cell LiPO's make stock motors look like lathe motors, really slow. Say good-bye to 17.5 or 13.5 with a single cell LiPO. Receiver packs!

Higher Voltage (6.0V to 7.4V)
Pros: Cheap LiPO's are available in "Brick" form factor.

Cons: Speed may be too fast with stock motors using a LiPO 7.4V pack. 5-Cell is odd (litterally) and having a 5-cell pack limits that pack to that car.

My suggestion:

USE a 6.6V pack made with LiFePO4 cells. There are LiPO makers that are stuffing soft cells with this chemistry. NiMH is fading out, and a Lithium battery seems to be the way to go.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #201
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i think it's sad that i've been pushing the return of pan cars for almost 2 years, they are finally coming back, and i can't compete.. i have a wide car and don't own 4 cell as ive switched to lipo as almost everyone that club races touring cars has.. oh well.. honestly, how many people have 4 cell packs compared to how many have 6 cell packs around?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #202
Tech Fanatic

TallyRC.

If you currently run a pan car, you have 4-cell packs. Why make the Pro10 class different than the others.

When the the other three pan-car classes figure out what to do with the change in technology, the Pro10 I assume will follow. There is no need to force the PRO10 to be 6-cell just because the sedans are 6-cell. The Pro10 is more of a realtive to the 1:12 car than any sedan on the market. Thus since the Pro10 is closely related it should share the same power source: 4-cell.

I do not see 1:12 or 1:10 oval making the great lipo conversion anytime in the next two years due to the emerging technologies and the changing standards. Let the PRO10 class be 4-cell during the greatest change in RC since the advent of electric as a replacement for nitro. Once all the technologies are sorted out, choose the best that would suit the needs of the racers: Cheap, Competitive and Fun.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #203
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i currently run a pro10, and it has a lipo in it. i, like the majority of people in this hobby, have owned nothing but 6 cell packs in my life..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #204
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
Sorry bud but you can't go around demanding how many cell everyone else runs just because you can't bare to run a higher wind motor.
I didn't "demand" anything. I simply won't run 6 cell 10th pan. Personally I think it's a stupid idea.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #205
Tech Regular

I can see that this whole thing is going to be like herding cats.

You guys run whatever you want, the best option will win out just like it did when we went to 4 cell 12th.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #206
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:

You guys run whatever you want, the best option will win out just like it did when we went to 4 cell 12th.
yup, your smart.. your in charge lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:

yup, your smart.. your in charge lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #208
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Im trying to reign this in as best I can. Tally, you can still compete even in 4 cell. I decided to go with that (and 19T brushed/10.5 brushless) because not only is it something that new racers and existing racers (from both road course and oval as has been already noted) can compete in, but it also takes into account something that a lot of people said about the demise of 10th pan a number of years ago...the speed. People have kept saying that the cars got SO fast, that they became difficult to control. There were people that could handle that kind of speed but not enough to sustain the class on a large level. Again look at VTA (I know I keep using that as an example). The class is not the fastest out there, but it is steadily growing and the focus is on the racing and on the cameraderie, not on who has the best and fastest stuff. That I think is what this 200mm class should be about. Good racing and great cameraderie both in the pits and on the drivers stand.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #209
Tech Elite

I have added a few more bodies to the list I posted earlier. A note...the TVR Tuscan Speed 6 listed under Protoform was actually listed as a Pro-Line body but they are all part of the same family of companies. I know jsut about all these bodies I listed are available in the Stormer Hobbies online store (which reminds me, I think we need to get somebody like Bob Stormer on board with this)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #210
Tech Elite

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 01-31-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: double post mods please delete