R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #181
Tech Master

IMO run the same battery and motor as 1/12. 4 cell stock and mod. Stop diluting the classes! There’s too much class separation. Everyone can not win! If you want to go fast run mod, if you want to go fast with a challenge, run stock.
E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #182
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The guys worrying about 4 cell obviously have not run a 1/12th scale car recently. We run 19T/10.5 4 cell 1/12 here in FL. Our lap times are 1-2/10ths faster than open sedan mod at most outdoor tracks. It is not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

We run mod 1/12th once in a while. The last time we ran we were clocked at over 50mph on the back straight with 5.5BL on 4 cells.

We have tested the BMI DB10R on 4 cells with a 5.5 and it was just as fast.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #183
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

You guys are missing something. Someone asked for a rule set. I posted one and you all basically ignored it. I want to see this class take off just as much as the next guy but we need to get behind a set of rules that can be translated across the board (club and national) and yet still have some flexibility to allow the clubs to do what would work and still grow this as a class.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #184
Tech Elite

this thread is funny.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
You guys are missing something. Someone asked for a rule set. I posted one and you all basically ignored it.
Patients, young grasshoppa. This is a chicken and egg scenario. Having cars to test the rule sets would be good before putting a final stamp on the rules without having tested them with the actual cars. I am interested in this class as much as the next guy reading/posting in this thread. So far, only MFGs have the chassis to test...

On topic: I'm also for the 4 cell scenario. We need testing to be sure that single cell Lipo will work for the 3.7 volts. There will be plenty of chassis real-estate for a receiver pack, if needed.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #186
Tech Regular

Single cell LiPo has already been tested in 12th. It works with a receiver pack and some systems will work without a receiver pack.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #187
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Single cell LiPo has already been tested in 12th. It works with a receiver pack and some systems will work without a receiver pack.

Testing on a grand scale... not just your testing. Or you could share what batteries etc, that you used and more could try it.
E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #188
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Patients, young grasshoppa. This is a chicken and egg scenario. Having cars to test the rule sets would be good before putting a final stamp on the rules without having tested them with the actual cars. I am interested in this class as much as the next guy reading/posting in this thread. So far, only MFGs have the chassis to test...

On topic: I'm also for the 4 cell scenario. We need testing to be sure that single cell Lipo will work for the 3.7 volts. There will be plenty of chassis real-estate for a receiver pack, if needed.
That is understandable. I think CRC's car hits the online store this weekend so I Im sure somebody could have one to test next week or sometime. Now I know Corally's wide car is out already so Im sure somebody could test that and I am willing to be that some of the California boys would not have a problem doing a little testing as well
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
That is understandable. I think CRC's car hits the online store this weekend so I Im sure somebody could have one to test next week or sometime. Now I know Corally's wide car is out already so Im sure somebody could test that and I am willing to be that some of the California boys would not have a problem doing a little testing as well
well my current resume says test driver for 12th scale lol.. but I think at least this california boy will be able to handle that.. lol caution, I like cars that are crazy fast like my oval cars with mod motors lol..

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #190
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Testing on a grand scale... not just your testing. Or you could share what batteries etc, that you used and more could try it.
E
I ran 12 maxamps 540 mAh cells in parallel in a CEFX 12th in stock and mod. The pack is about 5400 mAh and will run a 3.5 in mod without any problem. Runs about like a good 5.5 for speed. Basically, I rewired 2 receiver packs to make 1 saddle pack.

I know that others have also tested LiPo in 12th with packs that they put together themselves. Worked fine for them also.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #191
Tech Elite

Quote:
I think that having a baseline set of rules (just like with Vintage Trans-Am) will really be what helps this class take off. I had PMd Nexus with a basic set of rules and after he replied I did some more thinking (and reading through the rules for Vintage Trans-Am) and here is what I came up with:

Chassis: Any 200mm 1/10 pan chassis
Batteries: 4 cell NiMH (I forget what the equivalent in LiPo would be but at this point we are looking to have this set up in a manner that much like VTA, allows for easy accessibilty to the new racers and existing racers alike) 4600 mAh
Motor: I actually did a lot of thinking on this one. I read many of the responses and I think that Brushed 19T/Brushless 10.5 seemed to me like the consensus
Weight: 1200 grams (or approx 42.3 ounces)
Ride Height: 4mm minimum (as per ROAR rulebook which I am drawing from as well)
Body spec: GT or GT1 spec bodies (I will put together a list of the ones I know are currently available and add it to this post later)

This is what I have come up with for now. I havent worked out stuff like race lengths or what not as of yet.

not bad, 5 min would flow well with the rest of the heats in most roar classes..

Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #192
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Trust me, I know what a 12th scale does with 4 cells, I drive 19T and mod.
But I also know what a pro10 does with 6 cells and a 4.5... dont you think a large 1/8 gass track is a bit different from the indoor carpet tracks 4 cell 1/12ths run on???

I've setup my old corally F1 to accomodate 4 cells this summer, but I'm pretty sure it'll have to be a fast motor, eg 5.5 or so to get some speed in the thing.
I'm also pretty sure that I'll get a run time of under 5 minutes with the 5.5 on 4 cells opposed to at least 10 minutes with a 6 cell.

4 cell is nice for indoor, really you wont hear me commenting on that, but not outside. You just need the extra rpms.

But hey, like I said, I'll give it a try with the F1 in a few months.
(LIPO on the other hand seems very interesting in my Pro10 )
Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #193
Tech Elite

well one thing, you can dump in 19 turn oval, but unless something was really screwed I haven't seen someone dump in 19 turn 5 min road course and you don't HAVE to have crazy new packs or the latest cells which would be nice. Mod Oval on the other hand

Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #194
Tech Elite

Here are the bodies I have culled just from looking at company websites:

HPI Racing
Ford Mustang GT-R (part # 17504)
Chevrolet Corvette C6 (part # 17503)
Lamborghini Gallardo (part # 7489)
Mazda RX-8 (Part # 7488)
Dodge Viper GTS-R (part #7473)
Saleen S7R (part #7469)
Ford GT (part #7495)
Lamborghini Murcielago (part #7477)
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 (part #7474)
Nissan 350Z GT (part #7485)

Protoform

Corvette C6-R (part # 141800)
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 (part # 311600)

I know Protoform had a Corvette C6 for 200mm on their site at one point as well. If there are any companies out there that you guys know of that have something that would fit in this, feel free to post them here

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 01-31-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added a few more GT spec bodies)
Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #195
Tech Regular

All tenth classes need to think for the future and the future is 2 cell lipo shaped.

Be cool if rubber tyre was specifically designed for these cars, it could then be a control tyre and really cut cost and keep racing close. I think the main reason tc rubber tyres are such a handful is because they were not design specifically for RWD.

If you can get a company like jaco on board to do serious development of a rubber tyre it could be the secret to a successful class.

If every kit included a set, people will really be interested in this class.

Buy a kit, fit all you current gear - roar lipo, roar 10.5 motor etc. Use the tyres that come in the kits that last a long time.

Heck you may even get a lot of 12th racers converting so they can use lipo's.

Unless you are running a one make series you can't easily control the realism of the shells. I'd just leave it the same as pro10 has always been but to 200mm width. Replica's are a novelty, after a few months of racing you forget they are even based from a real car.

Thumbs up for:

200mm width
New control rubber tyres
Open shell design to pro10 dimension(except width)
2 cell lipo's inline with new roar rules
Roar spec motors only (eg 10.5 - 17.5)