Like Tree2Likes

CRC 1/10 Pan Car

Reply

Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 PM
  #3676  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,289
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8 View Post
Is his take on it on here or that web site that posted earlier
Sorry for the delayed response. Just got home from a long road trip to SoCal; including, two days of testing my WGT cars at TQ in Chino.

I could not find the post Brian Bodine (Slapmaster6000) made about old/new center/side springs for WGT; but, go to the 1/12 Forum, Page 2668, Post #40012 (dated 10/30/13) for a dialog between Brian and others about the equivalency of the old/new CRC side springs.

Bill
Still Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
  #3677  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield OHIO
Posts: 567
Default

do anh of you use the long frontend. As a new driver as far as pan car ive been told this will take out mid corner steering! I do turn in to early with my wgt car but then when i do this i get to close to the board and tap. Will the long frontend help me with this?
racer034life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 PM
  #3678  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,289
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer034life View Post
do anh of you use the long frontend. As a new driver as far as pan car ive been told this will take out mid corner steering! I do turn in to early with my wgt car but then when i do this i get to close to the board and tap. Will the long frontend help me with this?
I now use the long dual-mount upper arms for carpet racing (usually high traction) and standard arms for asphalt (usually lower traction). The long upper arms come pre-drilled for placing the pivot pins in one of two locations (long or standard); so, they are dual-purpose.

The longer arms yield less camber change (gain) under load in corners. This is very helpful in preventing traction rolling in high bite conditions. For me, the long arms are mandatory at major events like the IIC, Carpet Nats, etc. when high traction comes into play.

You also need to buy the CRC #3277 Graphite Cross Brace to mount the long arms on your WGT car. This part was originally built for 1/12th scale cars; so, you have to dremel off the center section to utilize the separate side pieces on your wider WGT car. This piece works with the long arms to lessen camber gain as much as possible.

Other ways to lessen camber gain (in smaller increments)...Use CRC #3279 Roll Center Kit shims or CRC #3230 ProStrut Roll Center Kit to raise the upper arms.

With less camber gain, you should also see that your front tires wear more evenly (inside to outside).

Cheers!

Bill
Still Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 AM
  #3679  
Tech Master
iTrader: (42)
 
WIITA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,592
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer034life View Post
do anh of you use the long frontend. As a new driver as far as pan car ive been told this will take out mid corner steering! I do turn in to early with my wgt car but then when i do this i get to close to the board and tap. Will the long frontend help me with this?
Still bill is right on with the long front end. A faster option with out putting the long front end on is to use the roll center adjusters. IMO the 2.5mm adjuster under the block is very similar to running the long arm with the 2mm h brace. This will give you a chance to run the car like you have it now, come in and toss on the 2.5, readjust toe and camber and go back out. You will see right away if you like it or not. I always run the 2.5 to get rid of the camber gain. IMO it makes it a lot more predictable and you can drive it a lot harder.
WIITA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM
  #3680  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (14)
 
FL_SilverEvo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 268
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Hey Guys,

I found a few old pics of my LE car for a reference back to what I ran

Attachment 1177032

Attachment 1177033


Since then I have upgraded to the SE kit.
My set up is not the same for that car.

I'll get some pics up of that car and set up for those of you who have switched to it so we can compare set ups
What one are you liking more? The SE or LE? How far off are the set up's for both?
FL_SilverEvo8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:47 AM
  #3681  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,289
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8 View Post
What one are you liking more? The SE or LE? How far off are the set up's for both?
My LE has much of what SG1 (Wayne) has previously posted on this string about his evolving WGT carpet setup. My LE is an extremely developed car that is currently at its best on asphalt. This setup makes for a very easy to drive car which can be very fast too.
I am thinking that the wider LE chassis makes for more weight transfer in the corners which can be more advantageous on asphalt.

Currently, my two SE's are setup for either carpet or asphalt.

Because we have our Region 12 carpet races coming up at TQ Racing in Chino, CA next month, I spent last Friday and Saturday testing at that far away track (360 miles). Was fairly satisfied with getting my carpet SE to within 2/10ths of the current track record with plenty more potential for improvement. Track conditions at TQ were very good; plus, it is great to find so many dedicated racers when I travel to this full-time carpet track.

Just returned home from a week long vacation; so, I have several other things to attend to for now. Will hopefully post more about my SE carpet setup in a few days. Nothing rad about it because the car is nearly stock in its current configuration.

Bill
Still Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 PM
  #3682  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (93)
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

On my car it has the 1/10 front kingpins and springs. Under the springs there are several shims/washers. Whats the point of these? I'm not talking about the plastic one thats shown in the manual either. Is this just a preload type adjustment on the front end to get the correct ride height?
Odin544 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 PM
  #3683  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,289
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
On my car it has the 1/10 front kingpins and springs. Under the springs there are several shims/washers. Whats the point of these? I'm not talking about the plastic one thats shown in the manual either. Is this just a preload type adjustment on the front end to get the correct ride height?
Odin,

Sounds like a good assessment. So far, I have never needed to add shims or washers there on a 1/10th kingpin; but, it could be useful for certain setups.

What is the distance from the bottom of the steering block to the bottom of the groove for the c-clip on the kingpin? Is it about 0.600"? Are both distances equal?

Bill
Still Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 PM
  #3684  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,289
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Hey Guys,

I found a few old pics of my LE car for a reference back to what I ran

Attachment 1177032

Attachment 1177033


Since then I have upgraded to the SE kit.
My set up is not the same for that car.

I'll get some pics up of that car and set up for those of you who have switched to it so we can compare set ups
Hi Wayne,

Still hoping for your SE setup before I head off to the Region 12 Carpet Races on April 4-6 in SoCal. Would get it on one of my SEs...

Thanks.

Bill
Still Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
  #3685  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield OHIO
Posts: 567
Default

Thank you for the information on the longarm frontend still bill. Parts will be ordered Friday and i keep you all updated.
racer034life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM
  #3686  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,289
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer034life View Post
Thank you for the information on the longarm frontend still bill. Parts will be ordered Friday and i keep you all updated.
John Wiita had a great post too. You now have all the options and should test for which one suits you.

Bill
Still Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 PM
  #3687  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield OHIO
Posts: 567
Default

I will be testing this with in a month due to running tc for now. New car my wgt car will be back on track. Has anyone tried the TM racing tires over bsr.
racer034life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM
  #3688  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,142
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Hi Wayne,

Still hoping for your SE setup before I head off to the Region 12 Carpet Races on April 4-6 in SoCal. Would get it on one of my SEs...

Thanks.

Bill
Hey Bill,

My poor car is in a pile of pieces going through a rebuild, so I can't get a pic But, here's what I just ran:

1/12 kingpins with .50 springs with min. droop (.01" gap between stearing block and lower pivot balls while sitting on the table)
0* castor blocks with high roll center graphite shims
All castor shims back
1.5* camber and slight toe out.
2.01" tires, to purple line sauced
4mm clearance
new green center shock spring with 35wt. oil
2mm droop
.55 side springs (just touching)
20K in tubes (i did raise them like the LE)
2.05" tires ,narrowed (3/16" on insides)
4mm clearance
sauced 3/4 center of tire
sg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM
  #3689  
sg1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (79)
 
sg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,142
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Keep in mind that was on a very high bite carpet track

If the traction is low try 7 or 10K in the tubes
and
more traction on the tires (full rear, almost 1/2 front)


One other thing..

With a Hobbywing 1s esc, 35 drag break to start
sg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
  #3690  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
My LE has much of what SG1 (Wayne) has previously posted on this string about his evolving WGT carpet setup. My LE is an extremely developed car that is currently at its best on asphalt. This setup makes for a very easy to drive car which can be very fast too.
I am thinking that the wider LE chassis makes for more weight transfer in the corners which can be more advantageous on asphalt.

Currently, my two SE's are setup for either carpet or asphalt.

Because we have our Region 12 carpet races coming up at TQ Racing in Chino, CA next month, I spent last Friday and Saturday testing at that far away track (360 miles). Was fairly satisfied with getting my carpet SE to within 2/10ths of the current track record with plenty more potential for improvement. Track conditions at TQ were very good; plus, it is great to find so many dedicated racers when I travel to this full-time carpet track.

Just returned home from a week long vacation; so, I have several other things to attend to for now. Will hopefully post more about my SE carpet setup in a few days. Nothing rad about it because the car is nearly stock in its current configuration.

Bill
Bill,

Is there a post or setup sheet that describes your LE asphalt setup? I run mine on parking lot asphalt in club races and it is anything but easy to drive! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
uscgretired is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service