R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart42 View Post
Thanks Duckman...

Martin are you gonna be at SMC/JACO race ?

My big question about the TC5 is the fragility. I know that the XRAY ias a very solid car, how about the TC5.

Thanks for your help everyone.
I wish - I'm moving the Florida and won't be there for the event. I'm looking forward to the sunny weather - but missing the SMC/Jaco race does bite.

Congrats on the 2008 - I am sure you are gonna like it. Making a choice on a top-level touring car is like spliting hairs, they are all good. Xray diffs are very good - one of the reasons that separates the car from others.

Martin
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
I can't say if its because I have been practicing... but with the 008 I walk him everywhere.. the 008 US is even better than the 007.
It's the practice man. Unless you are one of the top 2% of drivers, switching your chassis' is not going to make that much of a difference for us mortals.

All the top cars rock - it's just finding one that you can get parts and support for (as you mention in your novel of a post - LOL).
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996 View Post
Ummmmm Wally - you race 1/12 Until you buy a 1/10 you are forbidden to talk about them!

Martin, personally, I would just get whatever is supported in your area. Both cars will do very well in your hands - as long as you drive it like your 1/12. TC5 is cheaper in the event that you break anything, XRay diffs are well.... XRay - they last forever.

As for pinion hitting the battery on the T2008 - depends on the bars you are using I guess?
forbidden,i think not
just saying what ppl have told me thats all.
i still think im gona get a tc-5 and not run nitro this summer cuz i want to save some $ and just play with that and 1/12. oh and mini too.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996 View Post
It's the practice man. Unless you are one of the top 2% of drivers, switching your chassis' is not going to make that much of a difference for us mortals.

All the top cars rock - it's just finding one that you can get parts and support for (as you mention in your novel of a post - LOL).
I dunno man, The baseline setup in the 008 is much better than the 007. I don't get that much time at the track for practice even. The spool setup on the 008 car and having an asphalt/ carpet setup made it a breeze to drive..

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I've had both Xray and Associated, and I really like the TC5, but not as much as the Xray T2 '007 or '008.

Here are some items about the TC5 I don't like:
Motor is offset approx 1/4" outward from chassis centerline. The motor motor mount on most cars have the motor mounting either equal to or further inboard of the chassis bulkheads to improve balance. Be sure you use the screw to attach the motor mount to the chassis bulkhead to prevent messing up spurs and pinions.

Wheel Bearing are slightly smaller than most cars. The TC5 uses 5x9x3mm bearings compared to the 5x10x4mm bearings. I think this was done to reduce weight slightly, but it reduced durability since the 5.9.3mm bearings are more easily damaged.

Belt tightness cannot be cured with built-in eccentrics. While the belt being tighter than other cars, I don't feel it effects the cars speed much, but it does wear out the 10x15x4mm differential bearings a little quicker.

Arm stiffness is an issue. Associated has come out with stiffer arms, hubs, and steering blocks now, but they are not part of the kit. What frustrates me is that some people at Associated stated that stiffer suspension parts were not needed...

The diffs, while very lightweight from being plastic, they have a durability issue with hot, torquey motors. Additionally, the design of the diff allows all the grease to spin right out of the diffs and collect on the outer rim of the diff or chassis. This justs collects dirt and carpet fibers. Also, diff adjustment has to be done by removing the axle to access the diff screw. For those that don't know, Xray's have externally adjustable diffs.

Now I could go on about some things I don't like about Xray, like the cost of parts, but I'm not because I break less than 1/2 the parts on my Xray than I did on my TC5.

With either choice you can be happy, like I said, I liked my TC5, but over 4-months of racing it, I found some problems that I didn't like. Since this is Associated first stab at a Belt-Drive TC, I'm hoping they improve. The TC5 will take a little more time to get dialed, but with the stiff suspension parts available now, it should improve the car on carpet/foam setups.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
i still think im gona get a tc-5 and not run nitro this summer cuz i want to save some $ and just play with that and 1/12. oh and mini too.
Broken record... get the TC5 now and race some rubber tires at FC's
Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I would like to know what kind of track you guys are running at to be breaking parts on the TC5? I have had the car since it first came out and haven't had to replace a single part because it broke. In fact, my son just started racing and he hasn't broken the car either. Ok we did have problems with the servo saver but that was my assembly error. Does your track screw the 2x4's into the ground or something?

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote