R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 2wd against nitro

Last month the racing track in my city dissapeared. A group of guys are building a new track basically just for nitro cars. It is a very large track in which a touring car will have no chance against nitros, not only because of final speed but also because of running time. (45 minutes finals).

I talked to this guys and they agreed in letting me run with them, under my own responsability and by my self, because there are no electric guys left to run against.

Do you think that with a couple 4800 lipos, a novak 10.5 motor and a 2wd pan car I could make a good job against them?

Thanks......
pepecueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Ummm

You might want to re-train that line of thought koo-mo-sa-bee. While the 2wd pans will hit boo-koo speed, one good smack with a heavier nitro car will leave you in la la land. Touring cars, on the other hand, can hang with them with speed and if the track has enough turns they will pay when hitting the str8s. And with the lipos available, 20 minute run times on one pack is totally attainable. So while they pit, you drive. I say, slap down a Tamiya 415 with them and have at it. Car is tough, has enough aluminum to withstand some hits and it drives!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

thanks.

Your point of view seems reasonable, but as the tc is heavier and more complex, maybe it has more chances to break. The part that I really cant figure, having few experience in 2wd, is weather one of this cars can get the same speed in turns as the nitro car, for example the serpent 720.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Pan cars will not be durable enough. To make a long main you will need a ton of juice. I would find a good durable electric tc that you can find room to fit a 8kmah maxamps lipo w/ slight mods. Then, pick up 4 max amps 8kmah lipos & a hot gtb or like a mamba 7700. Before you invest in batteries you can do runtime tests w/ one pack to see how many you will need to complete a 45 minute race. On a large track w/ a hot mod you will need alot of juice though.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Pan cars will not be durable enough. To make a long main you will need a ton of juice. I would find a good durable electric tc that you can find room to fit a 8kmah maxamps lipo w/ slight mods. Then, pick up 4 max amps 8kmah lipos & a hot gtb or like a mamba 7700. Before you invest in batteries you can do runtime tests w/ one pack to see how many you will need to complete a 45 minute race. On a large track w/ a hot mod you will need alot of juice though.
Pan cars can be very durable. Often I find they are more durable then TCs. Being lighter they hit things with a lot less force then the heavier TCs. Also with them being significantly lighter you will need less juice and less motor to hit speeds comparable to nitro TCs.

Now if you get hit by a TC being the lighter car you are likely to get the worse end of the hit...but not always. Some will depend on the type of body you run and the amount of traction the car has. I find often if the track is high bite during practice with my 1/12th scale that it holds it's line better then the TCs that bump it.

However that said though...there are a lot less pan cars out there today then there was 15 years ago so you will find parts are harder to find. You might be better off with a TC just because of parts support. Also 4wd makes the cars a lot easier to drive then a pan car too.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

So you all guys think it will be better to try with a TC, maybe thats the way. I really want to beat those nitro guys, even more as being the last electric guy around. With all the technology we have now that shouldnt be that hard.......
Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Read here:
http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127484
and here:
http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175872
Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepecueva View Post
So you all guys think it will be better to try with a TC, maybe thats the way. I really want to beat those nitro guys, even more as being the last electric guy around. With all the technology we have now that shouldnt be that hard.......
Well now I wouldn't necessarily say that either I mainly wanted to make sure you got balanced information on both. Personally I'm a pan car guy and would love to reccomened the pan car. But you really need to look at what will be best for you in your situation. Depending on track conditions, driver ability, and parts support, a TC may be better for you...then again so could a pan car.

The discussions at the links posted above are very good ones. I highly reccomend looking them over well before making your decision.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Your question is better asked of John Stranahan in the first forum listed by Greasemonkey. He has actually done what you're talking about- successfully. He used a modified Pantoura and a Novak 3.5. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On our track last summer. a small track compared to most nitro tracks.

we have a few guys that are running Pro 10's they can out manuver the gas car in the infield and and if not can easily keep up with them on the straight. you have to keep in mind that the nitro guy's are only hitting second gear about half way down the straight. and the pro10's were running 19turn motors,the track was set up in a lacross box.

In my own opinion a brushless set up with a 4.5 would keep up no problems with the Gas guy's. heck you could ask one of the guys to pit for you and change a pack mid way through. it would take more time than a nitro but you would only be pitting once during the mains. You would just have to drive a big conservetaly, your lines will be different than the gas guy's.

As for Part support Corrally has a new Pro 10 and Tbang hobbies in Vancouver BC. Tell them DRew from Irocc sent you. will be carring all the part for support for this Chassis. they also just got a new production from Protoform for a body, they will be bringing 100 bodies to try and get this class back up and running.

Even though the chassis is way lighter. I find pan car's more durable than TC's cars

I say give it a shot. and spank those nitro guys.
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

which protoform bodies will they be stocking?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
You might want to re-train that line of thought koo-mo-sa-bee. While the 2wd pans will hit boo-koo speed, one good smack with a heavier nitro car will leave you in la la land. Touring cars, on the other hand, can hang with them with speed and if the track has enough turns they will pay when hitting the str8s. And with the lipos available, 20 minute run times on one pack is totally attainable. So while they pit, you drive. I say, slap down a Tamiya 415 with them and have at it. Car is tough, has enough aluminum to withstand some hits and it drives!
A pan car is much more durable than the TC's out there....
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #13

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2 weeks ago a group of 1/8th scale nitro guys showed up at our track.
Our track is a european 1/8th and 1.5th scale track.
I run 10th pancar there.

I must say, I have never overtaken that many 1/8th scales on a single day.
Even the fastest guys among the group didn't stand a chance.

Some of the 1/8th guys got pissed of, because they constantly had to make room for me to overtake them.
So they slammed the door on me at several occaisions.
No problem. My car only had some tire marks on it after an entire day of ruuning around 1/8th scales.

A friend of mine was running his 6 cell 3.5turn Hot Bodies cyclone at the same day. He wasn't as fast, and his car broke several times when he got punted by the 1/8th scale cars.

So trust me. Bolt a Novak 3.5 in your 10th pancar together with some 4200's and you can have some good fun.
Just don't tell the 1/8th scale guys about your running costs compared to theirs. They won't like it.
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote