R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #76
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Wow pretty impressive shopping you did there. I wish my lhs had as much selection. (and they complain how online stores steal their customers).

Anyway, I hope you have the Associated stealth diff lube and black grease. It'll make your diff smoother. Don't forget the 3mm tap. It will save you, trust me. GL on the build
Found this very informative thread! got a 05R myself.

Black grease would go where the stock Tamiya AW grease go and the diff lube would go into the diff? Thin coating will do?
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
The TA05-R is being reissued shortly. RC-Champ will be selling them for about $160us + shipping & fees. That's about 20 great hop-ups including TRF shocks and full precision drivetrain for the eBay price of the TRF shocks alone. TA05 truly cannot be beat at this price.

You will still need to buy pinions (04 module), tires (24mm), foam inserts and a body to complete the car...

PS: You only need the IFS stuff if you want to run IFS bodies. It's purely cosmetic...
wow... this has been a very educational (albeit long) read!

Um... TA05R for $160 US?! Tell me when it comes out. Either that or someone getting rid of their TA05, let me know

pgeldz, good luck with the racing, and definitely keep this going with your progress. I'll be following...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #78
Tech Addict

Hey fellas!

My apologies for not replying sooner...I've been having so much fun with the car I forgot to post back up, he he he.

I ended up getting 2 TA05-R's. One for the 23T class and one for the Tamiya spec class over here. The only difference is that the one for 23T has the standard White (Yellow) springs and the Optional Blue Aluminum motor mount, and the other car has a set of softer Red springs. They both have an LRP Quantum 3 ESC and optional wide pitch gears w/ one way.

I'm very competitive with both of them. A-main material just about every time.

Just for kicks, I picked up the new TB-03 to try in the Tamiya spec class. At first glance (and first weigh of the parts), it seems to be lighter than the TA05-R (I'll know for sure after it's built). Even if it's not, I wanted to try out the shaft drive, since that's what I'm used to (old TC3 user here). I have all the hop ups for it to include the one way, but I'm waiting on the rear input shaft and universal axles to come in this Friday before I build it (they sold out the day they arrived).

My only concern is that for the spec class I'll be running this car in, the gearing is fixed, as is the gearing for the TA05-R. It comes out to be that the TA05-R has a higher final drive by just a little bit, which means more top speed, no? Oh well, we'll see. I think the TB-03 will fair just fine. I'm even gonna keep the CVA dampers on it cause they are lighter than the TRF ones, and if you build them with a little "Green Slime", they'll be almost as smooth.

Wish me luck fellas, I'll keep you posted.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow, the benefit to being in Japan...

Dude, you're talking about how you were trying to decide between 2 chassis, and now you just bought 3 with hop ups...

Location AND money

Oh, and get pictures of the TB-03
Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #80
Tech Addict

LOL!

Yeah, it took a long time for me to decide though. I've been running the TA05-R's for a while now and like them very much. Best bang for your buck for sure.

I wanted to try the TB-03 though because it seemed to have the best of everything - IFS suspension, Evo drivetrain, and 416 suspension gear.

It was kinda funny when I went to actually buy it. I was adding up the cost of all the hop-ups I wanted, and the store owner looks at me and says, "Paul-san, as he points over my shoulder to the TB Evolution MS chassis kit". Meaning, why don't you just get the TB Evolution MS?

He had a good point. But even so, it was still $100 more expensive than the TB-03 with all the hop ups. I say all the hop ups, but really I mean all the ones I want. There are still more things to do I'm sure. Either way, I still like the idea of the TB-03.

As soon as my last two parts come in this Friday, I'll get to building it next week I hope. I'll let ya'll know how it goes...

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #81

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

rc champ have a website?

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
rc champ have a website?

R
http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/Champ_Inte...onal_index.htm

The ordering process is a bit odd, but it works. I got my F103RM from them a couple months ago already and the price was great. Super-fast delivery as well.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

A few months ago I wanted to try touring car racing, and I'm a Tamiya guy, so I got a TA-05. I'm running stock (just today bumped up to Sportsman from Novice) and try to keep it simple, so here's what's working for me. I race on fairly grippy asphalt outdoors.

- Standard TA-05
- front spool (drastic improvement in my case)
- front universal shafts
- blue aramid belts
- carbon-reinforced K parts, just 'cause I got it cheap
- ball bearings in the steering mechanism
- Orion 3200 lipo (and a ton of lead to compensate -- we run 1525g)

With a Team Br00d 27T and Novak Rooster ESC it was good enough for 3rd in the Sportsman A main today. Granted, I had one of those "magic" driving days, but my plastic TA-05 with 27T brushed was in front of a lot of carbon fiber 13.5BL cars today. This car continues to amaze me.

Oh, I must add that we can run any touring car body. Switching to a McAllister Lexus IS from my kit Lexus SC430 body made a very significant difference as well.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #84
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808 View Post
To solve the static buildup problem, I think you can just change the aluminum center plate to the carbon one (#53904).
I saw the KO page, it uses the carbon plate and the wire mod. I saw another page, the owner is using the wire on the blue aluminium plate. http://www.sosidge.com/category/rc_cars/tamiya-ta05-r/ Do is the carbon plate necessary for the wire mod?
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #85
Tech Initiate

I am reading this thread with great interest. Currently i own a stock TA-05. I am using a Tamiya 23T RZ motor. I would like upgrade to a Yokomo 19T motor, which pinion gear should i be using(spur gear 105T)? TRF damper set & front 1 way universal have been mentioned, but in what way do they improve the performance of the stock TA-05? It seems to be indispensable if you wanna enhance the performance of the stock TA-05. I read thru the thread but can't find the answer to my question. Please enlighten me. Thank you & have a great day for your r/c passion.
Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote