R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2003, 12:23 PM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
ROAR would have to put out a considerable amount of cash just to get Fred to look at it.
If that's the case, it will NEVER happen. Unless I'm incorrect, don't tracks pay ROAR to run larger events?

I would attend most any huge race if there was a lot of prestige involved and you felt as nervous as ever on the drivers stand. Most of the time it's just a glorified club race. See the examples below:

I'd be shaking like a schoolgirl up there.

And here's how ROAR does it:

Kinda puts things in perspective.

Okay...that was a bit extreme

Last edited by rtypec; 07-03-2003 at 12:29 PM.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #302
Tech Adept

One similarity between ROAR National and the Tamiya hosted Reedy Race this year is NO MOTOR TECH! However, I sat across from Mike Dunnigan and I know didn't cheat. Congratulation Mike, awesome driving and great sportsmanship.

Last edited by RickyIS300; 07-03-2003 at 01:01 PM.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #303
Tech Legend

A picture is worth a thousand posts !!!

Best post of da year !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #304
Tech Addict

If you have to pay ROAR to host an event like the Nationals, shine that!

Hey Rod, have you been to www.oddtodd.com lately, some cool new stuff, plus he has a new book out called "Hard Times, Soft Couch"

Oh well, at least we got the TCS nationals to look forward too.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:55 PM   #305
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by RickyIS300
One similarity between ROAR National and the Tamiya host Reedy Race this year. NO MOTOR TECH! However, I know Mike Dunnigan didn't cheat. Congratulation Mike, awesome driving and great sportsmanship.
At the Reedy Race, your car MUST pass through tech EVERY time it hits the track for qualifiers or mains. As for motor tech, I had mine stripped down twice. It would be unfair to compare the teching at the ROAR nats and the Reedy Race
Old 07-03-2003, 01:02 PM   #306
Tech Adept

Yeah right! I know your motor was slow on qualify round one a A3, that's about it.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:08 PM   #307
Tech Elite

Sorry you feel that way Ricky. Round1 the track was still wet and my heat was the first one, so of course the cars are going to be slow while others sped up when the track dried. A3, I think the motor was basically done at that point. Now back to the ROAR nats. Where to next year?
Old 07-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #308
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Right now the disparity between stock and mod is too large speed wise. 19T should be added to break up the log jam of sponsored drivers in stock. And stock should be changed to a stand up brush, full rotor motor with like 10 or 12 deg. (or LESS) of timing. Maybe the number of turns would have to be changed to keep the speed reasonable, but motors would last longer, and be less finicky. And a little slower. which is a good thing for people who are starting out (1-3 years of experience) . I know a lot of people take a long time to get the hang of this stuff, and if it is super frustrating they quit. A little slower and easier to deal with motor would help. Otherwise TMAXXes look reallly fun...

19T gets all the fast stock guys to a place where they want to be. We need a middle of the road spot since a lot of people can't or don't want to drive 7 turn motors. But it's hard to get 5 laps put on you every week in stock. A CHANCE at winning is all most people ask. When the local stock hot shoe stomps you every week, why does the new guy come back?

Obviously, no system is perfect. And i know "in the old days" every race had a turnout of 400 cars and you had to machine your car out of solid aluminum stock with a dremel tool, and you loved it. Even when Joel johnson put 12 laps on you in qualifiying. Cuz you were so hard core. But now racing competes with video games, the internet, and no one wants to spend time getting better. So maybe we have to look at a different way.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:29 PM   #309
Tech Adept

Exactly, this thread is about ROAR National, not about TCS or the Reedy Race anyway. Rod, no need for aplogy we all know what happened at the Reedy Race. Nobody said you were cheating and besides who would dare to challenge you driving a TAMIYA CAR on a TAMIYA race track? I'm most impressed with your Great motor tuning, your car was faster than some of the 10 turn cars on the straight. Sorry I forgot to mention practice, conrnering speed, driving skill and you need all that to win a major race. Great racing.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:28 PM   #310
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

RobK I know where I race I guess I would be the hot stock driver and win almost every week. The main differance is that I spend most of my time setting up the other cars I race against and help them with motors if needed. They come back every week to see if they can get faster and actually hate when I don't race with them. Not everyone is that helpful and I have nothing to hide so for our track it is not a big deal.

If you go to the Nationals I would think you want to run against the best. Mod is too much for most but many locals can keep up in stock against the big sponsored guys. I know I want to run against them to judge my skills and also to get some setup advice on what I might be missing.

JMO...
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:13 PM   #311
Tech Champion

I have been to many national level carpet races and done well at a few of them. I've seen what it takes to win. WYD you seem to have the right attitude, but I'd rather see guys at the upper level go to 19t. You can still test yourself there, and allow some room for guys coming up to race too.Not all racers have the time to help as much as you do, and some don't want to. But even more so, there are a lot of guy who just should not run stock with everybody else (ie. those with 100% rides, especially with multiple companies--you know who you are). And this is not picking on you either, since you are trying to get others guys up to your level.

Stock is the lower division. If there is no place to learn, except to throw people to the lions, it will not grow racing. I think a third division also helps some of the guys who get "run over" at big events for the first time, etc. It also gets them out of the way of the fast guys (yes I know about stacked heats, etc.).

Another thing I forgot to mention (i know this is getting long), was maybe Roar may want to divide the US into 3 or 4 "sections" and have "sectionals" to qualify for the nats. Instead of like 13 or 14 regionals in all the classes, you could have 3 to 4 races. Regionals are not always run for all classes but if 3 or 4 regions have a race together, it might create the critical mass needed. You could just show up to a sectional, and qualify for the nats.

Old 07-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #312
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by davidl
Futureal - I am going to support Bullfrog on something here. There were two more classes at this event, Masters 1/12 and Masters Touring Car. The numbers were low, so that means there was one main for each. That is a total of two more listings of 10 or less. I think it is important to show those results. Not showing those results is treating those drivers as second class citizens in RC.
c'mon, someone won a heat race for an event they didn't even have to qualify for, do we really need to acknowledge them as 'national' champions?

course, i'll be there in just a couple years, and i'm sure i'll want things as easy as i can get 'em too.

congrats to ALL the foggies see ya soon!
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:48 PM   #313
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

robk- Why would you want to make people qualify for a ROAR national event when even now they aren't filled to capacity? I would think you would want as many people as possible. Now with an event like the Reedy race that fills up in a day, something definetly needs to change.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:17 PM   #314
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Reedy Race, snowbirds...and other races just like fill up quicker and are eagerly awaited year after year. Who gives a crap about Roar? I don't! It's only there for insurance reasons. Right now racers are getting vacation time and hotel info ready for next years Reedy race. Do you think that people are looking forward to next years roar nats??? My next roar nationals will only be if a local track is hosting it. If I'm spending money it will be on the Reedy race, snowbird's, novak race, or some other yearly event that brings a crowd.

just my $0.02
Old 07-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #315
Tech Champion

honestly you guys are right. this whole thing is retarded