R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2003, 07:44 AM   #226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Ok, heres my opinion. I think its wrong for sponsored people to race in stock classes at regional type races and above. I know that my contract states that I will run mod at major racing events. On the prototype thing, in Colorado the Alfa body was for sale at the event. I know a couple of people who bought one while they were there. I doubt you could buy a new corally last weekend. The way I see it, you can't just put the blame on one person. Somebody in tech should have stepped up and said hey, this is wrong. And the people running the car should have stepped up and said, hey, this is wrong. But thats just my humble opinion.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:50 AM   #227
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

BullFrog: They are posted on the tracks web site.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:27 AM   #228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

wow.....now i know where everyone has been venting; what a discussion on the last weeks events.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:30 AM   #229
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by BullFrog
I think all the A mains should be posted. Is my money spent not the same as everyone elses that attended?And if your going to list the results- they should all be posted(A-Z).Everyone would like to see there name out there. Not everyone is a factory driver and they pay their way to the races.
If you were referring to the coverage here, we were seriously limited since the scoring software in use by the track would not export qualifying standings to a file. We had to do everything by hand and over the phone.

Once again, it surprises me that someone on the coordinating side of things didn't think of that before the race went off. A simple upgrade to a newer version of Autoscore would have given us complete live standings throughout the weekend. It would have been a little unrealistic for me to ask Brad to read off everybody's names and times all the way down the sheets.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:36 AM   #230
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

futureal.....yeah, i was wondering who was on the other end of brad's phone as he was reading (and blocking!) the results. regardless, it is great to see some of the criticism and opinions being voiced here.

don hill and his staff did a great job of attending to most details and doing their best to accommodate all the racers and i am thankful for that. HOWEVER, the most disappointing thing for me as a racer AND a spectator during the course of the week was the lackluster (not to mention inconsistent) race announcing. it was difficult for me to feel like i was at a nat'l event- it felt like a club race. some of the best drivers in the world were in attendance and until scotty ernst (and barry, too, of course) got on the microphone a time or two, it was completely hurting....

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:54 AM   #231
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Wink OK lets air it out a bit

Sponsored drivers Dunnigan & Pavidas ... how much $$$ do you think they won at this event ? How does a sponsored driver have an advantage over daddy's little spoiled kid who has everything you could ever want ?

At the club races we have...
Novice
Intermediate
Sportsman
Pro-Stock & Mod
works great for a club race, should we really have a "Novice National Champ" ? who's up for trying to decide how to quantifiy a Novice ?

My point is this... The "ROAR NATIONALS" should be the best of the best our country has all coming together to settle who's the top dawg for that year. If Baker or Jun want to run Stock they can, but they don't. Water seeks its own level.

Each class offers its own challenge, Mod is stacked with the best drivers & equipment in the country, Stock has great drivers who got there game down to a science. Lets not kid ourselves here, to compete in either class your going to need the best batteries available, in stock I saw people going through at least 5 motors trying to find "The One", in Mod the motor could last all week. Tires are the same for both.

Is one class more expensive than the other ? really, am I missing something here ?

I agree 27T is too slow, thats why they run 23T in J-land. If the top stock class drivers thought they could do well in Mod they would try it. I don't think my equipment holds me back from runnin with the top in the Mod class.

Personally this was my last 27T race, just wanted to finish out the season with what I've been running at the club races, that 19T stuff at the REEDY race was waaaay more fun

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #232
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

Actaually I had a word with Mike D and he is not sopnsored by AE.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #233
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by pucho
Actaually I had a word with Mike D and he is not sopnsored by AE.
Thats kind of my point Puch....

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 07-01-2003, 11:25 AM   #234
Tech Legend

A observation....

Racer blames Roar for problem.....

Roar blames the track who hosts the event....

racer is left hanging ....

What is real purpose Roar sends there rep to the event ???....

Answer>>>> To collect the $check$ from the track who ran the event.........

Seems to me Roar could do a little bit more than hanging out & anwser questions, its is not enought.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:32 AM   #235
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D
Default Re: OK lets air it out a bit

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
Sponsored drivers Dunnigan & Pavidas ... how much $$$ do you think they won at this event ? How does a sponsored driver have an advantage over daddy's little spoiled kid who has everything you could ever want ?

I paid for entry/handout motors($150), rubber tires - practice and race($150), hotel ($300), food ($200), gas ($30), and car parts getting ready for the race($???). Sure I receive items form some companies, but I won no money for winning the race. It's a hobby to me, I don't expect to be paid to have fun. After watching Pavidas drive, I realized myself and most of the modified crowd isn't in his performance class. His performance on the track and personality off the track showed why he deserves to get paid to do what he does.

Quote:

Each class offers its own challenge, Mod is stacked with the best drivers & equipment in the country, Stock has great drivers who got there game down to a science. Lets not kid ourselves here, to compete in either class your going to need the best batteries available, in stock I saw people going through at least 5 motors trying to find "The One", in Mod the motor could last all week.
5 motors? Ouch... that sounds expensive. I bet those racers would have gone quicker if they spent their time on car setup instead of motors. I bought an extra motor for each class but ended up only building one motor for each class. There just wasn't enough time in the weekend to work on the cars and build motors. Putnam spared some time to help me out with my other motor, but the motors in the cars were working well so I didn't bother switching.

Quote:
Tires are the same for both. Is one class more expensive than the other ? really, am I missing something here ?
Buying all those handout tires was painful, but alot cheaper then using uncontrolled rubber tires and putting new ones on every run.

Mike Dunnigan
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:36 AM   #236
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wild Cherry - Were you there? I doubt it. If you were, thats not what happened.But then I can see no matter what is said here matters. It's all trash talk.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #237
Tech Legend

BullFrog>>> I was`nt there.....(Onroad nats)

But I have been to many Roar national events.....

Maybe you can give us the official reason Roar sends there Rep to the Nationals.....

All I have ever seen the Roar rep do is answer questions & try to resolve complaints . >>>>And thats only if the Roar rep shows up in time to do so....

Heck! Many times he`s not even there to do that....
They(Roar rep) sometimes are a bit late in showing up.....
\

sorry, to bash Roar is easy.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #238
Tech Regular

Default Re: OK lets air it out a bit

Quote:

At the club races we have...
Novice
Intermediate
Sportsman
Pro-Stock & Mod
works great for a club race, should we really have a "Novice National Champ" ? who's up for trying to decide how to quantifiy a Novice ?

My point is this... The "ROAR NATIONALS" should be the best of the best our country has all coming together to settle who's the top dawg for that year. If Baker or Jun want to run Stock they can, but they don't. Water seeks its own level.

Each class offers its own challenge, Mod is stacked with the best drivers & equipment in the country, Stock has great drivers who got there game down to a science. Lets not kid ourselves here, to compete in either class your going to need the best batteries available, in stock I saw people going through at least 5 motors trying to find "The One", in Mod the motor could last all week. Tires are the same for both.

Is one class more expensive than the other ? really, am I missing something here ?

I agree 27T is too slow, thats why they run 23T in J-land. If the top stock class drivers thought they could do well in Mod they would try it. I don't think my equipment holds me back from runnin with the top in the Mod class.

Personally this was my last 27T race, just wanted to finish out the season with what I've been running at the club races, that 19T stuff at the REEDY race was waaaay more fun
Hi RBF,

I don't think we've met but Daniel keeps telling me great things about you. I'm his brother by the way. Sorry the cells didn't work out as planned and mainly because we rushed it and didn't cycled enough to retain its consistency for you. We'll have to work on that in the next few weeks since an even bigger shipment is due to arrive. Next time you run, you'll use my personal stash of unrated # I don't think ROAR will mind, seems they don't give a rats a$$ about it anyway. lol:

I don't think Dunnigan or Pavidis made a lot winning the race since I believe Pavidis are under salary already. From what I know, Atsushi Hara is one of the highest paying drivers in Japan and Asia by HPI and normally gets 15k per event and doubles during the worlds if he wins. Masami of course is the highest paying driver right now and his apprearance at an event is equal to a decent driver's annual $$$. I could be wrong in this department but just my guess. I believe Brian Kinwald is one of the highest paid U.S. Driver along with Barry. So factoring these top guys, maybe we could speculate and try to figure out the amount. I've been running undergrounds or what they're called for the last few years and only in Asia and the prize is much bigger while the stake is high as well. (a good way to make a living) I'll have to meet you one day and explain it in more details or ask Daniel and I'm sure he'll tell you more about it.

I have to agree that the stock 27t is too limited and slow. While in Japan, the 23t is perfect for stock and with its limits and the way it is hand out, there aren't much we can do to it yet Japanes drivers rely on gearing, batteries and electronics to boost the speed. Most Japanese drivers install additional capacitors, filters, wires, mosfet just to make it work with the standard handouts. Its becoming an electronic engineering style of races. I've seen actual PCB in the size of 2"x1" with over 60 micro electronic componets(similar to cellular phone technology components) glued to the underside of the top brace to work with the ESC/CAPs/Batteries. Again, this is from what I've observed. I do wish that in the U.S., 19t would soon become the stock since this is in-between the 23t and the mod (10t limits). It'll just be more fun for the experienced drivers at top level competition who doesn't wish to run the more torquey mod motors. I think it's perfect and is not too demanding on the batteries.

Then I would be happy to see a new class namely for American Novice. Why? because we need to further promote this hobby to the newcomers. In order to qualify, new racers have to have no more than 2 years experience in this hobby, the cars used has to be boxed stock with absolutely no hop-ups, no factory team kits ( just regular retail kits). Standard 27T motor, street cells stick packs with clear shrink wraps to show labels, Tamiya or deans plugs. This will allow a new hobbyist to go down to their local hobby store and grab a kit off the shelf and go race. Retail price cap for these kits can't be over $250 MSRP. This way, new racers aren't being turned away from this hobby because they simply can't compete with the guys who's got a $1,500 car and $1000 worth of batteries. After all, ROAR is about promoting this hobby or am I missing something here? LOL...FWIW IMHO.

Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:13 PM   #239
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: OK lets air it out a bit

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike D

I paid for entry/handout motors($150), rubber tires - practice and race($150), hotel ($300), food ($200), gas ($30), and car parts getting ready for the race($???). Sure I receive items form some companies, but I won no money for winning the race. It's a hobby to me, I don't expect to be paid to have fun. After watching Pavidas drive, I realized myself and most of the modified crowd isn't in his performance class. His performance on the track and personality off the track showed why he deserves to get paid to do what he does.

5 motors? Ouch... that sounds expensive. I bet those racers would have gone quicker if they spent their time on car setup instead of motors. I bought an extra motor for each class but ended up only building one motor for each class. There just wasn't enough time in the weekend to work on the cars and build motors. Putnam spared some time to help me out with my other motor, but the motors in the cars were working well so I didn't bother switching.

Buying all those handout tires was painful, but alot cheaper then using uncontrolled rubber tires and putting new ones on every run.

Mike Dunnigan
Mike D in the HiSouSe !
Thanks for validating my points Mike, and congrats, good job bud.
...you know exactly what I mean, would your results have been any better if it was all for FREE ?
Was the $$$ amount in the winnings any factor in your choice of what class to participate in ?

Control tyres

I ran the MVP they gave me the whole time, it just kept going faster

Old 07-01-2003, 12:18 PM   #240
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mike D: Congratulations Man! Now when I announce your name at Cleveland I'm gonna get to preface it with "Your current Stock TC AND Stock 12th scale National Champion"!!

Ian Ruggles
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote