Wiki Posts
Search

What ESCs are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
wow, thanks a lot for the great info. do you know if its hard to program it, or is there preset settings for stock, 19t, and mod? i dont know if ill gethalf the stuff im messing with, but i guess i could learn. and other escs, like the LRP dont need this programming?
There is a whole thread specifically about the VFS ESCs in this forum. It should only be a couple pages back in this forum. It's many pages long, but it will tell you exactly how to set these things. Ko has a web page with all sorts of specific ESC settings you can download...

http://www.kopropo.com/vfs_help.htm
Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Like I said before, it is a little overwhelming when you first read the instructions and try to figure out how to program it. Once you get it down, it is no big deal. If you are new to electric, you may want to stick with something easier to program like a LRP QC2 or the Tekin FX Pro ($133 at Stormer) I don't know that you would realize any performance benefits that the KO may offer. It does not have a stock, 19 or mod programmed setting. Each of the 32 steps is independantly adjustable to your liking. Very nice for adding punch or speed where you like it. You will not lose any races just because you're not running one and you won't win any races just because you are. Keep it simple.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anotherrcguy
I am not sure why you would not want a brushed esc. as opposed to a esc. that can do brushed or brushless butt........

If you are looking for a small footprint and a GREAT esc. I will tell you when I ran brushed only i ran the LRP QC2 and It is GREAT. You do not need a seperate programmer to change settings. There is a no trun limit on the motors, and it is waterproof. I can tell you this as I put my car in a storm drain for about an hour and when I got it out of 10' of water it was still lit up. I kid you not this has been the best little esc. i have ever had brushed.

If brushless is what you want I had success with both Novak GTB but a little big and I currently run the LRP Sphere Comp. TC. I am currently looking to try something new and I can tell you my next esc. will be the speed passion GT. It looks super slick and easy to use with it's included program box.

Hope this helps.
may i ask WHY you put your car in a STORM DRAIN?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

I put my car in a storm drain for about an hour
i didnt know they run electrics in louisiana. JUST KIDDING, that was a joke, i know its not funny, sorry, not trying to be mean, dont hurt me

I am not sure why you would not want a brushed esc. as opposed to a esc. that can do brushed or brushless butt........
usually, brushed/brushless escs are larger, and i dont want too big of an esc. they are selling the LRP QC2, since theres a new one now, for $100, which is pretty good.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Buy a brushless ESC now and run brushed motors. It's not a matter of "if" only a matter of "when" you go to brushless. Spend the money now, instead of double alter. Also brushless speedo's have a lower resistance of any brushed speedo.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

im not sure, im still on the fence with brushless. i just havent found a brushless system i can afford or like.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default why the storm drain

Originally Posted by joe of loath
may i ask WHY you put your car in a STORM DRAIN?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was driving my xxx-t one night testing the slipper clutch settings and I just put a 10x2 checkpoint in my car at 10:00pm and tightened my slipper too tight. I drove it down to the end of the street and when I turned and punched it the car launched directly into the storm drain. It took me an hour to fish it out with a rake....

[QUOTE=Ferrarimk13;4117251]i didnt know they run electrics in louisiana. JUST KIDDING, that was a joke, i know its not funny, sorry, not trying to be mean, dont hurt me

When I looked on the web a few years ago for a esc. I saw a add that showed the QC2 submerged in water and running and I thought how dumb is that!! I sure am glad it is waterproof

FEATURES

Fully waterproof and shock-resistant. LRP has made the QC2 waterproof and virtually shockproof. As a result, the Quantum Competition 2 can be completely submerged while it's running without any chance of harming its components. Of course, the rest of the car won't be too happy about getting that wet, but it's good to know that a run under the hose when the track is watered during practice will pose no risk of frying your ESC.

Reactive software. Many racing speed control manufacturers can boast about their products' adjustable drive frequency settings, but the Quantum Competition 2 offers a whole lot more. When you want the most punch possible with a stock motor, you set the frequency to a low setting, and you make just the opposite setting for a hot mod to keep it drivable. LRP's Reactive software is totally different because to deliver the best possible performance, it actually changes the frequency, motor current and accelerator signal as you run. Coming out of a corner, the Reactive software will detect this, and it will then deliver maximum punch by using a low frequency and altering the other parameters. On a long straight, the Reactive software raises the frequency and changes the other parameters for higher top speeds and more efficiency. No more compromises.

Digital Engine Mapping System 2 (DEMS-2). The DEMS-2 has five available settings (called maps) for punch control. Punch is increased in each map, but this doesn't hinder top speed as it can do with lower-tech current limiters. The DEMS-2 feature works with the Reactive software. Selecting a specific map tells the QC2's Reactive software which frequency range to operate in.

Adjustable punch (DEMS-2), initial brake and automatic brake. The programmable modes of operation are punch control (DEMS-2), initial brake and automatic brake, and each mode has five settings. In the punch-control mode, the higher the setting, the harder the car will accelerate. As the initial brake setting is increased, you will notice a more progressive brake feel. The goal is an exponential-like feel with the more progressive settings. A lower setting yields a more linear feel with equal amounts of braking action for trigger movement. The automatic brake setting determines how much, if any, brake is delivered at neutral. A "zero" setting delivers no automatic brake, and a ҵӠsetting will, conversely, yield what LRP refers to as a "strong braking effect" at neutral.

External solder points. The Quantum Competition 2 comes prewired and ready to install, but external solder points make it easy to replace wires when necessary. If you frequently swap your ESC between vehicles, this is an especially welcome feature.

Automatic start. This feature delivers instant power with vir- tually no delay at the tone; just activate it by holding full brake for 5 seconds before the start of the race. This mode disables any torque-limiting effect, so you'll have full power at the tone. When the trigger returns to neutral or brake is applied, any current-limiting software is re-engaged.

4-cell-ready. The Quantum Competition 2 is engineered for 4-cell operation without the need of a receiver pack. Since the QC2's tiny size makes it particularly attractive to 1ڱ2-scale guys, the 4-cell compatibility is a major bonus.

Limited lifetime warranty. LRP offers lifetime replacement service and repair free of charge for the QC2 through Team Associated (in the USA). With this kind of "guarantee," you know your money is well spent and that this high-end ESC is a solid investment. LRP is confident that it offers a high-quality product, and it stands by it.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

wow, thats a freakin good and simple esc. Its fine that i buy the second one, and not the new third one right? theres not that much of a change that its worth the $60 more?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Default 2nd one not the 3rd one right?

wow, thats a freakin good and simple esc. Its fine that i buy the second one, and not the new third one right? theres not that much of a change that its worth the $60 more?
I looked at the differences a long time ago and I think it had a couple more driving profiles and the main difference is the lipo cut off. The QC2 does NOT have lipo cut off but If you are running 4 cell 1/12th scale that is not an issue.

I still have my QC2 running in my sons TC3 and It works great and it is now almost 4 years old and has taken a beating running both off and on road.

If it was my money I would NOT buy the QC3 for $60 extra dollars. If you are going to spend the money for the QC3 I would look at the LRP Sphere Competition TC for the extra bit of money.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

i think i was always turned off by brushless, because i saw a bunch of the esc's hanging off the chassis' of a 12th, because it was too wide, im not sure, but thats always bothered me.

oh, and is the Nosram line exact copies of the LRP's?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

i think i was always turned off by brushless, because i saw a bunch of the esc's hanging off the chassis' of a 12th, because it was too wide, im not sure, but thats always bothered me.

oh, and is the Nosram line exact copies of the LRP's?
YES "Blue is Better!"

I think if you go brushed there are a lot of good esc's out there but if you can get a new one for $100 that's a good deal but If you check your local track racers are selling off there brushed stuff cheap.
Last week a guy was selling a perfect Keynce Rapida Pro for $50 and that is a $200 esc.
Another Good esc. Keynce Rapida Pro... sorry we could do this all day! Lots of Good esc's but I have had Great luck w/LRP.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

lol, at the track ill be going to, only a handful of people went brushless, and im reeally put under the wing of my hobby shop owner, whos going to be helping me with everything, and basically im going with whatever he thinks is best, and he said the brushed stock is still the best, since the motors we are going to use are modified by a local guy. when i think about it, my lhs owner said hes getting the new QC3, so maybe he might sell me his old QC2 cheap, never know.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

lol, at the track ill be going to, only a handful of people went brushless, and im reeally put under the wing of my hobby shop owner, whos going to be helping me with everything, and basically im going with whatever he thinks is best, and he said the brushed stock is still the best, since the motors we are going to use are modified by a local guy. when i think about it, my lhs owner said hes getting the new QC3, so maybe he might sell me his old QC2 cheap, never know.
I understand about learning from your local hobby store but I highly reccomend that you do your own research and start to form your own opinions as you will be much better off in the future.
If I listened to my local hobby shop I would be running a whatever the flavor of the month with the hobby shop guys was. Instead I did my own research. I would say look at the other guys at the track also as the more people running the same thing the more minds you can extract information from.
You will also start to see if a guy likes Novak he likes Novak only typically and If a guy like LRP he likes LRP only.
I will honestly say I like LRP better but I have a Novak GTB and It preformed great I just don't like changing profiles as it is not quite as easy as the LRP. Besides Blue is my favorite color!

Last edited by anotherrcguy; 01-25-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Default want a good used QC2

Check you have a pm
Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

haha, the problem is that if i get the LRP, my car will honestly be a direct copy of my lhs owner's car, lol. Since everything else looks the same, i want to be able to distinguish my car someway, lmao. i like the blue too, but the purple, and carbon fiber look of the hara, is cool, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.