R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2003, 12:16 AM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default 540 motor tuning.

OK I can't tell you all the secrets, but I can tell you the basics.

As many people have found out, and you might have as well. The 540 gets better with age. The older it gets the faster it spins. This is from three things I have found. The bushings free up, and the brushes are in full contact, and and the springs get weak.

What my club has found, is that water dipping puts a small load on the motor, thus helping the brushes break-in. Also the water is there to help keep heat out of the motor. So when water dipping I like to keep my water clean and cool. The heat helps in breaking down the magnets. So keeping it cool helps with keeping the magnets fresh. The last time I broke in a new motor it took nearly 2 hours to get the brushes nice and seated. One thing I tried was alternating forward and reverse rotation, say try 10 minutes one way the reverse it for 10 minutes and so on.
A new 540 needs to loosen up. So before you water dip it use something to break the bushings in.
as for motor cleaning some people say that motor spay weekens magnets. some of the guys at my club use over the counter household cleaners, and some of these guys are fast.
As for oils / comdrops. I have found that if you dont clean you motor well, they build up, and create more harm than good.the more you add the slower they get.

Another thing to remember. The older the 540 gets it gets faster, but it also looses torque. So if your 540 seems fast, it might need to be geared down a tooth or more to give it any punch. So gearing them to the moon isn't always the right answer.
I always seem to have pretty good motors following these break in tips.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:38 AM   #17
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thanks for the tips tamiyarcracer,

when running the motor in water do you run it fully submerged? (like in a bucket)
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to OHBRAD
Smile

ALL THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN REAL GOOD THANKS GUYS
Old 06-25-2003, 02:21 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

try here for some help... http://www.teamrcv.com/modules.php?o...ticles&secid=3
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #20
Tech Regular

personaly last time i was doing a meet with a 540 for some fun in practise i was flogin my brothers chrome stock in a c4 with hv's and about every other stocker on the track i usually race mod and jumping down seems like it takes forever to enter the corner so i find it so easy to go very fast and very smoth and it got me a 3 place whilst driving with a broken wrist might i add.
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:45 AM   #21
Tech Regular

now to motors i think the tamiyas are better if you wanna get serious get a dyno buy about 10 540 motors get the best 3 sell the rest back to other people as brand new just run in then with the 3 you have get a 4v supply constant attach to the battery every ten min add some comm drops not tribo ones more sythetic tribo burns up put a very thick oil in the bushes keep filling them up with oil up at the end take it out blast the crap out of it with motor spary put 1 drop of comm drops you know where and put some triflow (used for luberacation in guns)on each bush (3 drops) run at 8v for 15 sec then its ready to use(do not connect it up directly to 8v) gear it stupidly who cares if you cook it you have 3 and the motors are 10 bucks each each run use
1-2drops of tribo 2drops of triflow on each bush and dont let them get dirrty
drive smooth and win
there you go how to do it legal
Old 06-25-2003, 08:17 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Trippin Freddy
all - another thing you can do is to regularly just put you motor in a container of water (disconnected) and leave it there for a while. this not only flushes out a lot of dirt, but also makes the magnets stronger
Can you explain why "soaking" the motor in water makes the magnets stronger?

Thanks!
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:15 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fasterdanu
drive smooth and win
That is the key to being fast with 540 motors. It's all about momentum.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:44 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

ARC motorsports - no i can't, because i have no idea. it may be as tamiyarcracer said, heat makes the magnets worse, therefore cold makes them better.
Trippin Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:00 PM   #25
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default Water break in.

What I usually do is turn it so that the shaft is pointing up, the wires are pining down, and set it in a container of water that only covers about 1/2 to 3/4 of the can. I support it so that it stays upright. A Cup works great cause it helps keep the motor upright. Although a bucket or something similar would work well, if you could keep the motor upright. The bucket idea is a good one though, cause a gallon of water would take longer to heat up as opposed to a cup of water. And like I said earlier heat is our enemy! ;-P

Also my comment about oil is in reference to putting it on the com. What I have found is that using anything on the comm only makes it black quicker. and from rebuildable motors, we turn off all the stuff on the comm to get to fresh copper.
I do use oil on the bushings. I've used many things, I can't tell you if I have ever noticed a difference in any. The only thing I notice is when I forget to oil the bushings.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #26
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

540's get better with age because the brushes wear down and RPM's go up because of less pressure on the comm right. So has anybody here just left a motor running for a few days, taking it off every few hours to clean out the brush residue and relubing? Obviously you'd need to sit it on a air conditioning vent or somewhere to keep it cool but would it be worth the effort and would you actually see any difference in performance? Or is the increase so slight that it would be a waist of time?
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:11 AM   #27
Tech Regular

that may work but when your at a meeting and there is handout motor you have a lot less than a few hours if its 2 day i would buy 2 handouts run the fisrt in 4 as long as possible the seccond keep it goin all day and night next day ready 4 use i guess
Old 06-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: 540 motor tuning.

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyarcracer
OK I can't tell you all the secrets, but I can tell you the basics.
I've heard this kind of stuff before. It simply aggravates me to no end.

Here is my take on this:

1- There are no "speed secrets" with 540s and people are just playing head games.

2- If there are so called "speed secrets" and people don't share them, then they must be pushing the rules pretty far...

tamiyarcracer - I've been racing a 540 class for two years now, have tried all sorts of things on my 540s and never once found a way to make them any faster. If you do indeed have speed secrets, please share them

PS: Feel free to email me direct if you donít want to post on this board [email protected]
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Post Re: Re: 540 motor tuning.

Quote:
Originally posted by ARC MotorSports
I've heard this kind of stuff before. It simply aggravates me to no end.

Here is my take on this:

1- There are no "speed secrets" with 540s and people are just playing head games.

2- If there are so called "speed secrets" and people don't share them, then they must be pushing the rules pretty far...

tamiyarcracer - I've been racing a 540 class for two years now, have tried all sorts of things on my 540s and never once found a way to make them any faster. If you do indeed have speed secrets, please share them

PS: Feel free to email me direct if you donít want to post on this board [email protected]
1 yes people are playing head games.

2 break in the bushings

3 break in brushes until they are seated

4 figure out how to clean the com after break-in and between runs

It will be faster than a new motor that someone throws in the car...

It will be faster than the motor that has a ton of oil dropped on the brushes...
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
540's get better with age because the brushes wear down and RPM's go up because of less pressure on the comm right. So has anybody here just left a motor running for a few days, taking it off every few hours to clean out the brush residue and relubing? Obviously you'd need to sit it on a air conditioning vent or somewhere to keep it cool but would it be worth the effort and would you actually see any difference in performance? Or is the increase so slight that it would be a waist of time?
I would be concerned witht he damage that could be done to the com if it was run for that long
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote