R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Questions?? ROAR's rule for Hardcase modification?

I've been reading alot of threads about the new BL and Lipo rules. I'm glad we can now add weight to the battery and not just the chassis.

But, what about having to cut away some of the Lipo's hardcase to make it fit under the top deck? Is that legal?
I have to do that to my Lipo to make it fit into my T2 007. I think it's going to be a while before TC's are made specific to fit Lipos. Losi's center design will end up working the best to compensate for the heavy BL motor and the light Lipo battery.
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

have you considered slipping washers under the top deck to raise it slightly??
I think there would be a slight issue since you are in essence altering the design and it may now not hold up to the required tests for approved batteries.
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

With the 007 it is not the height of the top deck, it's the rear bulkhead hitting the case. If you notch the case the lipo fits fine, question is that ROAR legal...
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

On the 007 I just ground down the corner of the Bulkhead a little, and have no problem using the Orion 3600's
Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Default Steering...

Nexus has a link to how to do that. But, you then have to also add spacers to the steering mechanism. It's held in place by the chassis and the top deck.
With a notch, it slips right in.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
With the 007 it is not the height of the top deck, it's the rear bulkhead hitting the case. If you notch the case the lipo fits fine, question is that ROAR legal...
That's my question?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

I have been racing with the Nexus racing guys for about a year now and they all have been running lipo with the published modifications listed on their website (listed HERE) They all have reccomended doing this modification over modifying the battery. The reasoning behind it is that its much cheaper to buy a new bulkhead than another battery. Just thought i'd put that yout there for you guys.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
I've been reading alot of threads about the new BL and Lipo rules. I'm glad we can now add weight to the battery and not just the chassis.

But, what about having to cut away some of the Lipo's hardcase to make it fit under the top deck? Is that legal?
I have to do that to my Lipo to make it fit into my T2 007. I think it's going to be a while before TC's are made specific to fit Lipos. Losi's center design will end up working the best to compensate for the heavy BL motor and the light Lipo battery.
The intent of the hard case rule is to protect the battery from damage in a crash or ejection from the car. Modifiying the case in a way that exposes the battery would probably not be legal.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Default not exposed..

Cutting out the small area to fit the bulk head into does not expose the battery. (not any more that the plug openings of the Orion battery) It's a hollow space. The case, most likely could handle the drop test with it too. But, I think it would be hard to determine what modification is ok and what is not. They probably will not allow anything so they don't put themselves in that situation.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
Cutting out the small area to fit the bulk head into does not expose the battery. (not any more that the plug openings of the Orion battery) It's a hollow space. The case, most likely could handle the drop test with it too. But, I think it would be hard to determine what modification is ok and what is not. They probably will not allow anything so they don't put themselves in that situation.
Not allowing anything is probably going to be the ruling.

In your case modifying exposes open space. In other cases, the battery could be exposed to the bulkhead.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote