R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Protecting Bottom Of Chassis (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/20232-protecting-bottom-chassis.html)

Calvin Ng 06-22-2003 01:26 PM

Protecting Bottom Of Chassis

you know that plastic stuff to protect the bottom of the chassis.

i have a couple of questions
how do you guyz make the holes so you can still put your screws into it? using a exacto-knife is kinda weird.

Steevo 06-22-2003 03:54 PM

I make a template out of tracing paper by placing it on the chassis and marking where you want the holes to be. Then I place it over the adhesive protection stuff and mark the centre of the holes with something sharp and then I either drill or use a hole punch to punch out the holes.

Steevo:tire:

Calvin Ng 06-22-2003 04:01 PM

hole puncher never thought of that
thanx again. probably dont remember me butt you helped me out alot thanx

FUK_WRX 06-23-2003 10:04 PM

contact

Originally posted by Steevo
I make a template out of tracing paper by placing it on the chassis and marking where you want the holes to be. Then I place it over the adhesive protection stuff and mark the centre of the holes with something sharp and then I either drill or use a hole punch to punch out the holes.

Hello Steve,

What do you exactly use to cover it ?? Because over the time i just use two layers of CONTACT( used to cover and protect books) :nod: :lol: :p. How do you do it ?? Just really curious want to preserve the chassis so in times of selling it will always be in good condition :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol:

Steevo 06-23-2003 11:23 PM

I went to a Skate shop and bought some clear adhesive plastic that they use to protect the bottoms of skate boards. Some of the stuff you can get is a little thick so use as little as possible if this is what you get. You can also get some similar product that you put on the top of your tennis racquet which is excellent as well.
I only use it on the front and back of the chassis and a strip down each side.

Hope this helps

FUK_WRX 06-23-2003 11:58 PM

thanks

gee, never thought of that. Thanks steve.

Besercoe 06-24-2003 12:13 AM

Go to a local motorcycle shop, they use protective sheeting for tanks of dirt bikes, it is very cheap, quite thin and very hard, comes in about an A3 sheet, can get about 4-5 chassis out of one piece.

itchynads 06-24-2003 12:53 AM

Projector transparency film works as well and is easier to remove since you tape it to the bottom of the chassis.

poolman51 06-24-2003 04:03 AM

good idea i will try which is better.....

Addict sa RC 06-24-2003 08:48 AM

Try this site and take a look at the "Skuff Saver".

JohnA 06-24-2003 04:14 PM

Originally posted by itchynads
Projector transparency film works as well and is easier to remove since you tape it to the bottom of the chassis.
I gave up on the OHP, too much dirt gets caught underneath and I've had a few runs where it came off.

I now use Associated or Yokomo (both the same) chassis protector sheet, sounds the same as the stuff mentioned above for dirt bikes think I'll give that a try.

Steevo 06-24-2003 08:36 PM

The stuff used for dirt bikes is excellent. The stuff for skateboards and the top of tennis racquets is also good and slightly cheaper.

I use the latter because it is enough to do the job unless you want to cover the whole chassis of course. Due to the weight factor I only cover the front and back ends as well as a strip down both sides.

If you choose to use the protector film used on motorbikes they also make it in a carbon fibre pattern which is way cool....and at first glance looks just like the chassis itself. :cool: