R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default what do you charge at (lipo)

i got this from orions web site ..................
How many amps should Li-Po batteries be charged at?
We recommend a maximum rate of 4.8A for the 4800mAh and 3,2A for the 3200mAh
papadocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1C is a good rate for battery longevity. Charging faster just wears them out quicker.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Tech Regular

this is from max amps site

Charging: Lithium Polymer batteries have specific charging requirements and ONLY chargers rated for Lithium Polymer cells may be used. The best chargers are those which require the user to manually select cell count and charge rate for each pack of cells, then automatically check to see that the settings are correct. The Hyperion EOS Charger line belongs to this category. Chargers which use only automatic detection of cell count (and on that basis set charge voltage) are prone to error, and can damage cells or cause a fire due to over-voltage charging of cells. We recommend that these chargers be set manually, if used. Other chargers are set manually, but do not include a safety circuit to oversee that setting. These are prone to user error, and should also be checked very carefully to insure proper use.

Lithium CC/CV chargers, like those in the Hyperion EOS Charger line, must be used. These charge initially at a constant 4.2V and constant 1C rate, then taper the charge rate as the battery nears full capacity. Cells are about 90% charged in one hour, and can be left connected for another 20-30 minutes to complete the charge. The maximum permissible charge voltage per cell is 4.2V. The maximum recommended charge rate for Lithium Polymer cells is 1C (ex: 1.5A for a 1500mAh pack). Please do not charge your lithium polymer at any rate higher than 1C. Doing so may reduce the capacity and life cycle of the cells, with very little savings in charge time.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Regular

i have always charged at 2 amps ......what do you guys charge at?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

1C as outlined above. Unless the pack builder specifically states otherwise.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Tech Regular

this means you can charge a 4800 pack at 4.8 amps
Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sure Does
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadocks View Post
this means you can charge a 4800 pack at 4.8 amps
Yep, that is the safest level. This is one place where lipo is somewhat like nimh, if you charge at a higher level; say 2C; you will see some improved punch from the pack just the same way you do from charging nimh's at 7 or 8amps. But you risk damaging the cells and other bad events like lipo fires.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

lipo race packs... charge at 1C
lipo tx pack... charge at 1A
Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadocks View Post
this is from max amps site

Charging: Lithium Polymer batteries have specific charging requirements and ONLY chargers rated for Lithium Polymer cells may be used.
I've wondered about something related to this for some time - My Creative Zen charges from my computer's USB port, and iPods and some mobile phones do the same. You can also get 'official' chargers from Motorola, Nokia and others that just direct the 12v power from your car ciggie lighter into your Li-Po pack.

Are the batteries just made that cheaply that they can be mis-charged this way (5v supply I think?) or is there actually some sort of spec in the USB spec that allows the Li-Po batteries to be 'properly' charged?

I can imagine the wall wart chargers have the ideal circuitry to handle Li-Po packs, but can USB ports and the cigarette lighter plugs have this same circuitry? Anyone know?

Just curious
Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Yep, that is the safest level. This is one place where lipo is somewhat like nimh, if you charge at a higher level; say 2C; you will see some improved punch from the pack just the same way you do from charging nimh's at 7 or 8amps. But you risk damaging the cells and other bad events like lipo fires.
That's false. 2C charging does absolutely nothing to improve battery performance, and will only lead to a battery that doesn't last as long. It's been proven many times over that charging above 1C has no benefits at all, outside of charging the battery a little faster. The drawback is that it could cut down your battery's life significantly, or maybe be unsafe if you're dealing with a lower quality cell.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKinney View Post
I've wondered about something related to this for some time - My Creative Zen charges from my computer's USB port, and iPods and some mobile phones do the same. You can also get 'official' chargers from Motorola, Nokia and others that just direct the 12v power from your car ciggie lighter into your Li-Po pack.

Are the batteries just made that cheaply that they can be mis-charged this way (5v supply I think?) or is there actually some sort of spec in the USB spec that allows the Li-Po batteries to be 'properly' charged?

I can imagine the wall wart chargers have the ideal circuitry to handle Li-Po packs, but can USB ports and the cigarette lighter plugs have this same circuitry? Anyone know?

Just curious
no, the circuitry is built into the device. if my old media player (RIP) was flat i could charge it from a 4 cell pack.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
That's false. 2C charging does absolutely nothing to improve battery performance, and will only lead to a battery that doesn't last as long. It's been proven many times over that charging above 1C has no benefits at all, outside of charging the battery a little faster. The drawback is that it could cut down your battery's life significantly, or maybe be unsafe if you're dealing with a lower quality cell.
On this point, I try and charge at 1C every time, however sometimes our clubs racing meetings are a little tight on time, so I will bump it up to 1.5C (quite amusing grabbing the calculator quickly to figure out what amp rate that makes ), but never higher. I know that not having a fully charged pack doesn't really make a diff with LiPo... but I'm still converting my brain over to the ease of use of LiPo's
However, if I'm charging at home before a meeting then 1C it is.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
no, the circuitry is built into the device. if my old media player (RIP) was flat i could charge it from a 4 cell pack.
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh... OK i c now I have been wondering for years how this works, thanks!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
Tech Addict

I charge @ 1C, through a balancer (I know it takes longer), and with nearly 100 cycles in 2 months, my Orion 3200 performs as well as new.
KE4PJO is offline   Reply With Quote