Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
IB cells are a racers worst nightmare... >

IB cells are a racers worst nightmare...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB cells are a racers worst nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay, since some of guys all seem to be continuing to demonize Ni-MH its time for you to see that a Li-PO battery explosion isn't ANY better than Ni-MH. Those of you that have seen a Li-PO explode know it isn't any prettier than a Ni-MH explosion.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60570423705609
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36960714830130
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11953351279140
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77681432208368
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23150057012021

The hard cases most companies are putting on their cells will prevent most of these types of issues from occurring... The one thing to remember though. When a Lipo explodes its gel contents splatter. If you get some of that hot, burning goo on you or get roasted by the fireball that sometimes emerges, you'll be no better off than if a Ni-MH went bang right in front of you.

And I will say again, the current IB46s are no more prone to explosion than any other cell... Not EP, EG, Epower or anything else.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

goober, as far as i can tell all those videos are of people trying to make them catch fire. None are accidents (I looked at most not all).
Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by or8ital
goober, as far as i can tell all those videos are of people trying to make them catch fire. None are accidents (I looked at most not all).
Just making a point.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Whoa, I've never seen an intentional scary LiPo fire video before, I'm so glad someone posted them here!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jakespeed
I've seen IBs blow charged at 6 amps with temp checks every 5 mins! They don't heat up until they go BOOM...If you think I'm lazy, I think YOUR CRAZY......But thanks for ur opinion, You are Paid well to state IT!!!!

The pack that blew on me was on its second charge and wasn't even fully charged.....

Ban IBs

Was your pack equalized prior to the charge?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
With a Nk Ml pack you get no warning , just a explosion...

Injury , eye damage or worst will happen , just a matter of time before the INSURANCE companys
come on board and decide for us .....

Of course that will occur after someone is hurt & injured....

Maybe someone already has file a claim ?

Won`t be long to wait , unless we start to create safe guards now for "all" battery`s and not just Li-Po....

Heard that! The pack was just done discharging, and went back into charge after a 25 minute delay between cycles. About 8 minutes into it, it started hissing and then I unplugged my charger and threw a pot over it. Then quickly moved all my stuff out of the kitchen. About 15 minutes after that all cells detonated like a pipe bomb. The pot was all deformed and completely black inside. (Not to mention, this was a thick copper pot. I like to cook as well, and it was a $120 pot I ruined. Better safe than sorry) and the cells were all over my kitchen, along with all the crap inside of them. I even found part of a cell in the living room.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
They were already well expanded and the pot was big ebought that it didn't touch any of the cells. But it was like a pipe bomb when it went off. I am scared to use IB cells, I have bought 6 dead 4-cell packs, and I have also had the awesome opportunity of them exploding.
How about you re phrase the thread title to "I'm my own worse nightmare because I bout IB cells on clearence that have sat in a hobby shop for a year because I'm too cheap to get good stuff,",,,,The cells aint the issue bro,,,I prefer Ib's over everything else,,,ask any one at the "c" we dead short them hit em at 10 amps zap them with a car battery ect ,,,3 years of competitive racing never one blow out,,,I go through more packs than you can dream of ,,,,,,,don't slam a product you don't know how to maintain
Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

I only bought one pack on sale, and the rest of the were maintained by someone with experience. I am just sharing my bad luck, which seems to follow me like the friggin' plague. And the rest of my GP and EP packs are fine and well maintained and have never had a problem. I have just had bad luck with IB's. I am not knocking anyone else's good experiences with them, I am just sharing mine. I, in no way told anyone not to buy them or disputed their racing performance, for I have never got to run one. I am just saying what happened and my bad luck with them. Use what you would like. I don't care. You don't have to read it or respond to it.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

I bought 10 IB4200 packs late last year and out of that batch i had one complete pack have dead cells and have had 6 others pop at least one cell.
Fortunately they just vented and melted the shrink but one did melt the cowling in my Bm's engine compartment
Fortunately customers where understanding and i replaced the packs for them.
While i have to aggree sometimes the problem with the cells are aggrevated by the users pumping them with high amp charge and ive seen it happen to some guys messing around in a parking lot with there drift cars only to have a cell pop in the car.
manufacturers are aware of the issues and look to be addressing them and i hope come to a solution soon.
Lipo is definately the safer cell in use today and have to be really abused to make them pop.
I havent heard of any accidental lipo fires in over a year and while there might be ,Nimh batts have had numerous reported all over the world.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
With a Nk Ml pack you get no warning , just a explosion...

Injury , eye damage or worst will happen , just a matter of time before the INSURANCE companys
come on board and decide for us .....

Of course that will occur after someone is hurt & injured....

Maybe someone already has file a claim ?

Won`t be long to wait , unless we start to create safe guards now for "all" battery`s and not just Li-Po....
You might not get any warning from a defective lipo either, Sony laptop users didn't (and those were just last year).
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Locally i have seen IP(infinate power) cells explode. Positive end shot off battery bars bent... I had been cycling to rematch a few packs over the weekend, after a .9volt dump on the smart tray about halfway through the charge cycle the cell popped... like a gun shot..

For the IB cells mostly cell venting but not poping, seem some puffy looking negative terminals though
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

Mine was like 6 gun-shot going off at the same time. Not to mention, I have the temp sensor on my ICE, set to stop at 125F. And they still went boom. I don't know what the hell happened. They were sitting on a foam battery block.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Legend

Whats it going to take to make U Nk-Ml fans realize there`s a serious safety issue with your cells ?

No discussion about what to do !
just reading

The team driver solution

"I`m offended by these Ib explosions and I wish you would just buy my battery`s and be happy"....

The local driver solution
"I never had one of my battery`s expode , so it must be user error" ?

now

"only certain brands Nk-Ml explode" .....

Not one person has suggested a bunker, charging limits, any other method of making our sport safe for everyone....

C-On !
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default 4200 Explosions

In the past month we have had three cells blow at our track. One was in a fairly new 6 cell pack being charged at 6 amps per the matching label. New racer but everything looked likeit was set up correctly.

The other two were in a 4 cell pack being charged by a full time racer who has top notch equipment and is not prone to handling errors. First one blew while on charger and the second about 30 minutes later.

I don't think all explosions are due to user errors.

Bottom line is all batterys including Lipos can detonate if grossly mishandled. It appears certain run of NIMH 4200s had issues.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw

Bottom line is all batterys including Lipos can detonate if grossly mishandled. It appears certain run of NIMH 4200s had issues.
My point exactly all batteries are dangerous I have seen tripple A's blow up on a recharge they all do it period nicad,nimh,lipo and any future cell that we start running simply put protect yourself this stuff isn't safe.I know I had trouble but to ban something because it's not safe you might as well ban racing cause it's not safe either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.