R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #76
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Whats it going to take to make U Nk-Ml fans realize there`s a serious safety issue with your cells ?

No discussion about what to do !
just reading

The team driver solution

"I`m offended by these Ib explosions and I wish you would just buy my battery`s and be happy"....

The local driver solution
"I never had one of my battery`s expode , so it must be user error" ?

now

"only certain brands Nk-Ml explode" .....

Not one person has suggested a bunker, charging limits, any other method of making our sport safe for everyone....

C-On !

first off what the hell is Nk-Ml? last time i checked, its Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) fyi. Second off, user error accounts for charging limits, and if people read the manuals, or ask their hobby shop owner, they would know the proper way to charge. You cant blame people for the cells, so why are people making a big fuss about it. Many people are satisfied with IB's and if they arent, no biggie, just change to a different cell, its not that difficult.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #77
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Whats it going to take to make U Nk-Ml fans realize there`s a serious safety issue with your cells ?

No discussion about what to do !
just reading

The team driver solution

"I`m offended by these Ib explosions and I wish you would just buy my battery`s and be happy"....

The local driver solution
"I never had one of my battery`s expode , so it must be user error" ?

now

"only certain brands Nk-Ml explode" .....

Not one person has suggested a bunker, charging limits, any other method of making our sport safe for everyone....

C-On !

first off what the hell is Nk-Ml? last time i checked, its Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) fyi. Second off, user error accounts for charging limits, and if people read the manuals, or ask their hobby shop owner, they would know the proper way to charge. You cant blame people for the cells, so why are people making a big fuss about it. Many people are satisfied with IB's and if they arent, no biggie, just change to a different cell, its not that difficult.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #78
Tech Fanatic

ib 4200 explosion at the winter rage , portland or , lipo is way better than ib 4200s , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #79
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to adamliehr

This thread just needs to be closed. It does nothing but piss people off and scare people away from racing.

If you like Ni-Mh use them, run them, have fun.

If you like Li-Po use them, run them, have fun.

It's that simple.
adamliehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I bought a couple SMC IB4200 4 cell packs back around Thanksgiving. They haven't been used much and did sit for a while. I left charge in them while sitting although I will admit I could have been more diligent.

Anyways, I put them on my DPD discharger. The cells range in capacity from 3200 to 4400. I've cycled them 4 times in the last 2 days trying to get the cells to equalize. No dice. Disappointing to say the least. I'll keep running them in practice and a qualifier or two until they totally die or blow. Hopefully the two new Ener-G packs a soldered up today are better than the IB4200 cells...
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just Buy a Li-Po and a Li-Po chgarger and have fun

I still run IB3800 and after 4 years they are still going strong and average 3750mah discharge.

My newer 4200's (one year or older) are no better then My old 3800's now

After seeing first hand several Ni-Mh cells pop (Not by poor handeling,charging,storing or discharging) I made the switch to Li-Po and will never go back to Ni-Mh...

BTW
Quote:
You might not get any warning from a defective lipo either, Sony laptop users didn't (and those were just last year).
Sony had to recall the batterys because the charging detection circuit in the battery pack was the problem Not cell's themselves.

Charging Bunkers should be mandated for all cells anyway....
ROAR # 11-118753 / MATT #11-118754
MECH # 11-118755 / RYLEE #11-118756
RIP :Loretta Plueard 2017
SUPPORTING NORTHWEST HARVEST --- WWW.NORTHWESTHARVEST.ORG THE HUNGER STOPS HERE
Skruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #82
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post

you forgot equipment failure (bad charger) ,

That's nobody's fault if a failure occurs and you still can get a big Ka-Boom !

I`m not trying to PO Ib fan`s off, rather hope you can see we have been allowing this safety issue to side for some time and we need to change before someone gets hurt.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruger View Post
BTW

Sony had to recall the batterys because the charging detection circuit in the battery pack was the problem Not cell's themselves.
"Sony Corp. company officials said the problems were caused by microscopic metal particles that mistakenly got inside the battery, causing short-circuiting."

That would be defective cells and nothing to do with charging or discharging.