R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ban All IBs before someone gets hurt bad!
jakespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Hi there everyone!

As a representitive of Intellect/IB out of the Trinity camp. I am disturbed by some of these posts..

I have been using Intellect/IB cells for over 2 years now and have not had 1 single problem at all!

It seems as the problems come from not properly storing them between usage.
This is what I do to properly store my cells...If I am going to use them within 1 or 2 days I will put 300 Mah back in the cells after I run them...If I am not going to use them for 5-10 days I will put 2000-3000 Mah back in them...If I know that it is going to be a while till I race again I will fully charge them and leave them be till the next time I race.....

To Charge...I first put them on my Trinity DPD set to 1.0volts per cell...After that is done I charge them at 6 amps with a cut off of .3 on my GFX.I try to time it perfectly to when I am supposed to be in tech but that doesnt always happen!

I hope this helps people with the care of Intellect/IB cells as I know they are great cells...I wouldnt be saying this if I didnt believe that!

Take care and see you at the races,

Barry
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

like all batteries, you need to treat them with respect. they're just a little more tempremental than most.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheimb4897 View Post
Oh, my, god....
The 4200 pack that you gave me had a bad incident. I hooked it up to my charger and let it charge. Well, I noticed it didn't charge to it's full capacity, so I threw it on for a top-off charge. It started hissing really bad so I turned off the charger, and it still wouldn't stop hissing. I got scared and threw a pot over top of the pack. About a minute later, all six cells explode. The pot is completly useless. It was so deformed by the explosion. Never had a battery do stuff like that before. I think they were IB cell, which I've never had any luck with later. My hands are still shaking from it. Has this ever happened to any of you?
I want to know how you knew they weren't fully charged??? Those MAH numbers are reference, they don't tell you if your battery is charged to capacity...

Sounds like your battery was fully charged and you tried to pump more juice into it...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffejdat View Post
Any chance the METAL pot you threw over the pack shorted them out?
They were already well expanded and the pot was big ebought that it didn't touch any of the cells. But it was like a pipe bomb when it went off. I am scared to use IB cells, I have bought 6 dead 4-cell packs, and I have also had the awesome opportunity of them exploding.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #36
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm not biased when it comes to battery brands, so with that said I will say that I've heard a lot of fuss about IBs, but never seen one blow up. On the other hand, I have personally seen a semi-pro driver with a national title (I wont name names -> Ty lol!) cook & totally fubar a GP3300 stick pack, which was being "bumped" on a Turbo for total recreation use, not competition.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that user error is most likely to blame the majority of the time when it comes to blown cells. Some cells can take more abuse than others it seems, but who knows how to gauge which ones will take it for longer than others

BTW, I use GPs personally... thought I should add that so no one thinks I'm trying to bash GP cells. I'm still not biased regardless, I just go with what gives me the best bang for the buck.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
It is unfortunate that some people have bad luck with IB's. In your case Having 1 or 2 packs for race day is not going to cut it. If what's holding you is price, send me a pm. If what's holding you is other products on the market? then choose. but you can possibly want to race 2 or 3 qualifiers and a Main with 2 or 3 packs. you should have a minimum of 4 racepacks and 2 practice pack. I didn't say break the bank.

Running 2 pack for example disregarding the battery life and paying more attention on your surounding. Some 4 year old could be on the path of that exploting cell.

I write this post because we all blame our product and never take responsability for what we do. For Ex. this post started with someone blowing up a 6 cell pack. well lets take a step back. If the pack did not charge all the way why charge it again. the explosion came after the re-peak or topoff charge.

For your information the once the pack does not charge let it cool down and discharge it with novak smart tray, trinity DND of Much More CTX these dischargers are sent with low amp discharge or 30 amp pulse and they won't increase the heat causing an explosion. Then if there is something wrong with the cells you will find out before someone gets hurt.

If you are not sure, ask. we are here to help. Remember safety first!
do you run at 360? 7 packs is a bit much, but hey if thats what it takes, i guess ill do it, but what if i have two packs, how long does a complete discharge and charge take? say i take it off the track, have my second pack charged for the next heat, and put my first pack on the discharger, and charger, so its done by the time i finish the heat?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespeed View Post
Ban All IBs before someone gets hurt bad!

I haven't had any problem with IB or EP cells ever I haven't tried energy cells yet but like barry says above you MUST take good care of them.Don't over charge them or leave them with no charge in them.

I have 3600,3800,4200,and 4600 batteries some are over 3 years old still run great.
www.liverc.com
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its not the Racers fault.......The IB battery is dangerous, I hope nobody gets hurt......
jakespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #40
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

running IBs since the 3800s 4 years ago even have a few left. and yes this is not the way to charge them but I tray them for 30 to 45 minutes on a zero30 inergy tray and then charge them at 7 amps on my lrp at 5mv per cell so 4 cells is a 20mv cut off. I have yet to have one blow and I am not nice to my packs. they hiss at me towards the end of a charge sometimes. and then I repeak them before I go out to race. now I can't say they are in the best shape power wise but no blown cells. I do have 1 pack per race so 3 heat and a main I have 4 packs. I even had some of the bad ones from just before vegas. either I have been blessed and lucky or your using them the wrong way.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Tech Addict

how would the company make a difference in whether or not the cells explode. Whether or not its GP, or IB makes a difference?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Think some people miss the point in all this ALL BATTERIES ARE DANGERIOUS Period.I started racing about 18 years ago or so the first pack I had was a 1200 sc and guess what I seen those blow up too.

Simply put even if you goto lipo it can be harmfull if not taken care of properly.I have lipo and I like it I have all types NIMH I like them too.

NONE of them are any safer then another but if you handle them correctly and do what you should with them you'll be fine although R/C is alot of fun you still have to be carefull or in nash's case pray alot lol.
www.liverc.com
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Jakespeed....It is not IB's fault at all......Heck back when I started we still used 15min dialup chargers and just felt when the battery was warm...some people used cables straight from the battery on their cars...but the point is they monitored the batteries and took care of them some they did not have problems like these...To this day when I am charging I check my cells every 10-15 mins and I know others that are the same way..I am not trying to harp on anyone...I am trying to say that with alittle caring and not being lazy things like this will not happen...

Bill....You are correct!!!!

Take care,

Barry
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Barry, I hear ya but.....

There did seem to be a period of time recently when there were a lot of these batteries going off. I dont think all of a sudden a bunch of people forgot or changed what they usually did. Was it user error? Probably. I dont think any of these batteries are meant to go through the abuse we put them through. On the otherhand, why all of a sudden did it start happening unless something on the battery side changed?

I dont disagree, properly taken care of there should be little problem but I dont think IB is completely guilt-free. Though it appears they have solved the "problem" in recent batches from what I hear.

Last edited by or8ital; 01-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #45
Tech Addict

what if they were to use a different casing?