R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow, great work! I have a feeling a lot more people are going to be looking for this sort of thing. It'll be interesting to see ROAR's clarification on the weight mounting rule.

Maybe some smart guy can tell us how/if having that much weight down load will affecting a car's handling. It seemed to do goofy things on the Type-R, but that was with the weight in the center.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #17
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Wow, great work! I have a feeling a lot more people are going to be looking for this sort of thing. It'll be interesting to see ROAR's clarification on the weight mounting rule.

Maybe some smart guy can tell us how/if having that much weight down load will affecting a car's handling. It seemed to do goofy things on the Type-R, but that was with the weight in the center.
To be fair and to look at NiMh there really is not a huge difference in weight placement. NiMh's drops down into the chassis when properly mounted, and is heavier with a "thinner" footprint. The very slight advantage this offers is the placement of weight "outside" the pack.

I spent half a day with scales and placing weight in various places designing this...and learned some useful things. To sum it up, weight placement has less effects on balance toward center of chassis, and this is only 1 oz less (total weight) then a NiMh to get the same balance...thats all the trade secrets I'll give away at this time.

The "advantage" really IMO has been overstated by some. Even if you managed to gain an edge on the right side, the car still has to turn left. If one side handled better then the other to the point you can tell "or have the advantage" nobody would want to drive the erratic handling car.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Put me in line for Orion 3600mah Lipo solution! Ill buy one ASAP from you.

IE: Associated TC5 base weight and Universal 3.0 - 4.75 oz adjustable side weight

Last edited by rezenclowd3; 02-02-2008 at 11:03 AM.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Vern, if you could tap a few holes from the bottom, you could "secure it to the chassis" with a few flat heads and not have to take any heat about the rules. just add a small bit of loc-tite!
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Vern, if you could tap a few holes from the bottom, you could "secure it to the chassis" with a few flat heads and not have to take any heat about the rules. just add a small bit of loc-tite!
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I considered that, and it's just a useless cost that is unnecessary (plus mount plate is only 1mm thick at chassis top (and if someone screws into and punctures pack I'm liable). I'm sure ROAR will do the right thing and allow weight to go back where it came from (battery). Even if they dont you could run servo tape between the tray and chassis to appease them, then go back to running "the right way" at club racing. These weights are secured way better and full length then the cheesy tape on chassis weights they already allow, plus they are safer since they totally shield the LiPo from collision.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Very intersted in the Schumacher MI3 prototypes...I need a couple of these weights.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Two words for you "Patent Attorney" Now that this is posted you just gave alot of "Big Companies" a great idea, No doubt I will buy from you seeing as I just got my TC5 built. Looks great, can't wait for some production.

RedRocket
RedRocketRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Kevin, stop by the track Wed or Fri, I have some design feedback for you.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very very nice Verndog!! I might be very interested in this. Especially the bottom half. Now a question for ya. When you place the bottom half on the chassis, how high does it raise the battery? I don't have a TC5. I race a 416. I was working on a cheap lead plate to do the same exact thing. But yours would be sooo much nicer. Anyways, goin with an Express/Trinity 4500 lipo pack that is close to Roar specs (this pack is 23.5ish mm tall) I will have about 1.5mm clearance from the top deck. The top deck height from chassis to bottom of top deck is 25mm. So I was goin with a 1mm thick lead plate to keep some clearance. Then adding thicker weights at the bottom to protrude into the battery slots. How thick is yours?

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Very intersted in the Schumacher MI3 prototypes...I need a couple of these weights.

i'll be dropping off mi3 chassis with right side bulk heads friday.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Very very nice Verndog!! I might be very interested in this. Especially the bottom half. Now a question for ya. When you place the bottom half on the chassis, how high does it raise the battery? I don't have a TC5. I race a 416. I was working on a cheap lead plate to do the same exact thing. But yours would be sooo much nicer. Anyways, goin with an Express/Trinity 4500 lipo pack that is close to Roar specs (this pack is 23.5ish mm tall) I will have about 1.5mm clearance from the top deck. The top deck height from chassis to bottom of top deck is 25mm. So I was goin with a 1mm thick lead plate to keep some clearance. Then adding thicker weights at the bottom to protrude into the battery slots. How thick is yours?
The plate is 1mm or .0394 tall...but the inserts hang down just under 2mm for a 2mm chassis. On the TC5 you slide into slots at a slight angle and it slips right in. There is one corner on the bulkhead that is about the same..possibly 2mm clearance. I have a different design (about 2 weeks away) that will work for tight clearance cars...and I'll try this on a various cars in the near future...problem is all the chassis and battery combos are a pain to investigate.

I'll prob. put a couple out at SIR and have people investigate different combo's.

As far a patent goes...not worth the time. I dont plan to make much if anything on these (I have a real day job for money )...the price I quoted will keep others away...at least when you compare overall quality and appearance.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sweet. Thanks Vern. Keep us posted when you'll have them available. I'll be getting one for sure.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing View Post
Two words for you "Patent Attorney" Now that this is posted you just gave alot of "Big Companies" a great idea, No doubt I will buy from you seeing as I just got my TC5 built. Looks great, can't wait for some production.

RedRocket
I'd be carefull about the name engraving your doing.

Shouldn't that weight be on the inside closer to center, than on the outside anyways?
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Its up on RedRC.net now
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote