R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #241
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

received the stuff today, thanks for the speedy delivery. really high quality work!
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #242
Tech Regular

I received my bottom plate and adjustable side plate today. It fits nicely in the Cyclone TC. I do have one question, with the new chassis on the TC their is more space to add in weight in the battery slots. would it be possible to get one like that? Also would it be possible to add notches for the Orion 3600 to set in?
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #243
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khador12 View Post
I received my bottom plate and adjustable side plate today. It fits nicely in the Cyclone TC. I do have one question, with the new chassis on the TC their is more space to add in weight in the battery slots. would it be possible to get one like that? Also would it be possible to add notches for the Orion 3600 to set in?
Although it would be convenient to have a notched plate for Orion, it's not cost effective to make too many different designs for the multitudes of different packs. Those Orion humps are a consensus waste of precious space and with them you miss the oportunity to drop your COG because there is little weight from the carbon. Alot of people just sand them off since they cant REALLY hold the battery safely under impact. Many prefer to jump up to the 5000 series packs that carry more weight if you have the room, they in theory should carry more punch later in the race as well.

I'll look into the additional space your talking about, because that can drop COG for sure, and Cyclone populatity is growing from what I'm hearing.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #244
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

WHat do you recommend for guys running the packs with the little humps on the bottom side?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #245
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
WHat do you recommend for guys running the packs with the little humps on the bottom side?
Most people are grinding those humps off when using a base plate. They will not hold the battery well enough under hard collision, and waste the oportunity to lower the COG by getting weight inside the chassis slots. I have seen a base plate out there that has cuttouts for the humps, but then you need to thicken the plate, or add more weight somewhere else to make up for that loss, and again raise the COG.

That said, if its a TC5 and something like an Orion / Trinity 3800, that can fit onto a PPD plate and under the top deck without removing humps if it bothers you.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #246
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Most people are grinding those humps off when using a base plate. They will not hold the battery well enough under hard collision, and waste the oportunity to lower the COG by getting weight inside the chassis slots. I have seen a base plate out there that has cuttouts for the humps, but then you need to thicken the plate, or add more weight somewhere else to make up for that loss, and again raise the COG.

That said, if its a TC5 and something like an Orion / Trinity 3800, that can fit onto a PPD plate and under the top deck without removing humps if it bothers you.
I was kind of afraid you'd say something like that...unfortunately griding off the humps is out of the question, since it 'alters' the case and illegal for most forms of racing

its for a 'standard' cyclone (non WCE and TC)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #247
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
I was kind of afraid you'd say something like that...unfortunately griding off the humps is out of the question, since it 'alters' the case and illegal for most forms of racing

its for a 'standard' cyclone (non WCE and TC)
I understand your position but take a look around. Many top level racers have removed the humps, and I've not heard of any disqualification. The end result is a case that is the same as those without humps, only now 20x stronger now that its fully protected with stainless steel. The newer 40c packs are flat bottom so this is becoming less of an issue so there is no plan to make cutout plates.

That said, here is a plate with cutouts from a competitor you may want to look at. Good Luck.

http://www.manutech.info/181101specs.html

Last edited by Verndog; 05-31-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #248
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
I understand your position but take a look around. Many top level racers have removed the humps, and I've not heard of any disqualification. The end result is a case that is the same as those without humps, only now 20x stronger now that its fully protected with stainless steel. The newer 40c packs are flat bottom so this is becoming less of an issue so there is no plan to make cutout plates.

That said, here is a plate with cutouts from a competitor you may want to look at. Good Luck.

http://www.manutech.info/181101specs.html
Thanks, Kevin - but knowing my luck, I'll be the one that gets caught

I've seen that plate before - but looking around to see what else is available
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #249
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey verndog just wondering when the 3.0 oz base weight will be available again.

let me know cheers
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #250
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Are these/were these made simply to get bigger packs in the car or is there a want/need to get more weight onto the tires too?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #251
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy View Post
hey verndog just wondering when the 3.0 oz base weight will be available again.

let me know cheers
My apologies for the delay. I'm having trouble getting time sceduled into the shop right now, but hope to get them back in stock early next week. If you need them sooner then Nexus racing has them in stock as well.

http://www.nexusracing.com/index.php?cPath=137_154_293

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Are these/were these made simply to get bigger packs in the car or is there a want/need to get more weight onto the tires too?
To balance the car and to safely and securely mount lipo batteries is their main purpose.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #252
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Anyone using the Diggity Wide lipo mounting brace (not the offset one) with ppd 3oz base and 2oz side weight? I am using the smc 5200 40c lipo and wanting to get my car balanced properly once my tekin rs pro arrives this week.

Will be using four scales to balance car out once esc arrives.