R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #241
Tech Addict
 
Hoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 611
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

received the stuff today, thanks for the speedy delivery. really high quality work!
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #242
Tech Regular
 
Khador12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 276
Default

I received my bottom plate and adjustable side plate today. It fits nicely in the Cyclone TC. I do have one question, with the new chassis on the TC their is more space to add in weight in the battery slots. would it be possible to get one like that? Also would it be possible to add notches for the Orion 3600 to set in?
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #243
Tech Master
 
Verndog's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khador12 View Post
I received my bottom plate and adjustable side plate today. It fits nicely in the Cyclone TC. I do have one question, with the new chassis on the TC their is more space to add in weight in the battery slots. would it be possible to get one like that? Also would it be possible to add notches for the Orion 3600 to set in?
Although it would be convenient to have a notched plate for Orion, it's not cost effective to make too many different designs for the multitudes of different packs. Those Orion humps are a consensus waste of precious space and with them you miss the oportunity to drop your COG because there is little weight from the carbon. Alot of people just sand them off since they cant REALLY hold the battery safely under impact. Many prefer to jump up to the 5000 series packs that carry more weight if you have the room, they in theory should carry more punch later in the race as well.

I'll look into the additional space your talking about, because that can drop COG for sure, and Cyclone populatity is growing from what I'm hearing.
__________________
--->Dial-a-Grip for TC6
Kevin -- PPDBillet---TC6---Exoray 008
---Team Hoarders---
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #244
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,007
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

WHat do you recommend for guys running the packs with the little humps on the bottom side?
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #245
Tech Master
 
Verndog's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
WHat do you recommend for guys running the packs with the little humps on the bottom side?
Most people are grinding those humps off when using a base plate. They will not hold the battery well enough under hard collision, and waste the oportunity to lower the COG by getting weight inside the chassis slots. I have seen a base plate out there that has cuttouts for the humps, but then you need to thicken the plate, or add more weight somewhere else to make up for that loss, and again raise the COG.

That said, if its a TC5 and something like an Orion / Trinity 3800, that can fit onto a PPD plate and under the top deck without removing humps if it bothers you.
__________________
--->Dial-a-Grip for TC6
Kevin -- PPDBillet---TC6---Exoray 008
---Team Hoarders---
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #246
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,007
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Most people are grinding those humps off when using a base plate. They will not hold the battery well enough under hard collision, and waste the oportunity to lower the COG by getting weight inside the chassis slots. I have seen a base plate out there that has cuttouts for the humps, but then you need to thicken the plate, or add more weight somewhere else to make up for that loss, and again raise the COG.

That said, if its a TC5 and something like an Orion / Trinity 3800, that can fit onto a PPD plate and under the top deck without removing humps if it bothers you.
I was kind of afraid you'd say something like that...unfortunately griding off the humps is out of the question, since it 'alters' the case and illegal for most forms of racing

its for a 'standard' cyclone (non WCE and TC)
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #247
Tech Master
 
Verndog's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
I was kind of afraid you'd say something like that...unfortunately griding off the humps is out of the question, since it 'alters' the case and illegal for most forms of racing

its for a 'standard' cyclone (non WCE and TC)
I understand your position but take a look around. Many top level racers have removed the humps, and I've not heard of any disqualification. The end result is a case that is the same as those without humps, only now 20x stronger now that its fully protected with stainless steel. The newer 40c packs are flat bottom so this is becoming less of an issue so there is no plan to make cutout plates.

That said, here is a plate with cutouts from a competitor you may want to look at. Good Luck.

http://www.manutech.info/181101specs.html
__________________
--->Dial-a-Grip for TC6
Kevin -- PPDBillet---TC6---Exoray 008
---Team Hoarders---

Last edited by Verndog; 05-31-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #248
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,007
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
I understand your position but take a look around. Many top level racers have removed the humps, and I've not heard of any disqualification. The end result is a case that is the same as those without humps, only now 20x stronger now that its fully protected with stainless steel. The newer 40c packs are flat bottom so this is becoming less of an issue so there is no plan to make cutout plates.

That said, here is a plate with cutouts from a competitor you may want to look at. Good Luck.

http://www.manutech.info/181101specs.html
Thanks, Kevin - but knowing my luck, I'll be the one that gets caught

I've seen that plate before - but looking around to see what else is available
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #249
Tech Addict
 
Hoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 611
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

hey verndog just wondering when the 3.0 oz base weight will be available again.

let me know cheers
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #250
Tech Elite
 
trdsupra88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,531
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default

Are these/were these made simply to get bigger packs in the car or is there a want/need to get more weight onto the tires too?
__________________
I cut my own hair ☆
trdsupra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #251
Tech Master
 
Verndog's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy View Post
hey verndog just wondering when the 3.0 oz base weight will be available again.

let me know cheers
My apologies for the delay. I'm having trouble getting time sceduled into the shop right now, but hope to get them back in stock early next week. If you need them sooner then Nexus racing has them in stock as well.

http://www.nexusracing.com/index.php?cPath=137_154_293


Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Are these/were these made simply to get bigger packs in the car or is there a want/need to get more weight onto the tires too?
To balance the car and to safely and securely mount lipo batteries is their main purpose.
__________________
--->Dial-a-Grip for TC6
Kevin -- PPDBillet---TC6---Exoray 008
---Team Hoarders---
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #252
Tech Master
 
espresso1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,102
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Anyone using the Diggity Wide lipo mounting brace (not the offset one) with ppd 3oz base and 2oz side weight? I am using the smc 5200 40c lipo and wanting to get my car balanced properly once my tekin rs pro arrives this week.

Will be using four scales to balance car out once esc arrives.
__________________
www.cityofangelstshirts.com
espresso1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak: 21.5 2s with 2s lipo: the lipo solution for the pan class? tomkelley Electric On-Road 16 08-18-2008 01:06 PM
CF TC5 LIPO Mounting Brace - Diggity Designs Diggity Electric On-Road 85 03-04-2008 11:54 PM
LIPO CHARGER LIKE HYPERION AND LIPO BATTS AND MAYBE CHEAP 12TH SCALE jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-16-2008 07:55 AM
Pg 2 on Complete Sellout Motor rebuild Orion Lipo, peak Lipo 4800 and more gunlocators R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 10-08-2007 02:11 PM
Lipo regulator mounting? dsl Nitro Off-Road 4 09-22-2007 06:47 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:10 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net