R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Advice Please. Good All arround Touring Car

I am just getting back into RC cars after about 5 years. the last car i owned was an HPI RS4 2 i think it had Belt drive which i was not really a fan of.
Before i go and waste my money i would like some opinions on a good car to start out with again.

I dont consider myself a rookie but it seems lots has changed in my brief departure. i want something for parking lot racing and just spirited driving on weekends. i would like to join local club also.

any input is greatly appreciated

Thnaks
IL_AudiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well most of the cars are belt drive again. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what you are looking to get out of it. The TA05r or TA05MS are both very durable and capable cars. Parts can be difficult to get sometimes though. Most people are going to tell you to get the car your local hobby shop supports and what the fast guy at the track you are running at uses.

You could always look at getting a used HPI Pro4 which is shaft drive. Use that while you get back into the swing of things (its still a competitive car - just wont win you the A main at a national event).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

how is the Tamiya TT01 shaft driven

Are there hop-ups available ?? Can it go Brushless down the road
Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I just bought myself a Tamiya TB-02 after a year-long touring car hiatus, and I absolutely love it. Before taking a break from TC, I was using a TA04-R mainly, & I had a TRF 414MII that I never got to use(built for carpet). I dont intend to race at a highly competitive level, so no need for a pro car... just something to have fun with like you mentioned.

I paid $90 shipped for the brand new TB-02 Porsche Carrera GT kit, straight from TamiyaUSA's eBay clearance store. Two of my friends ended up buying the same car, & we couldn't be happier. The car was easy to build, has full adjustability, it's tough as nails, comes with ball diffs front & rear, full ball bearings(minus 4 metal bushings in the steering assembly), CVA oil-filled dampers, aluminum prop shaft, & a Johnson 540 motor... all for less than the cost of an average TT-01 kit on towerhobbies.com. i actually like the simplicity of shaft drive, & it's going to be much better suited to parking lot abuse(no exposed gears for pebbles & grit to get stuck it).

For what you've described, I would highly recommend one of these cars to you. It drives awesome right out of the box, & if you just plan to have fun & do some mild competition, you dont really need to go crazy with mods for the car. Mine is near perfectly-balanced with all stock components, other than the tires. Tamiya has sold them out now, but there are others on eBay for close to the same price new, and I've watched MINT used TB02s go for $50-60 range over the last couple of weeks!

Have fun
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL_AudiRacer View Post
how is the Tamiya TT01 shaft driven

Are there hop-ups available ?? Can it go Brushless down the road
Nothing wrong with those cars, but they are very basic with limited adjustibility & I think it would be too novice for you if you have previous experience with touring cars. Upside, they are hard to beat on price, durability & parts supply.

Edit:

TB-02 thread click here

Last edited by mep; 01-21-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: link added
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

I would reccomend the tc5 if you want to race, with the hard plastic now out, you can race it with foam or rubber and be a threat.

If you want something to beat on and RTR I would look at the losi xxxs rtr kits.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
I would reccomend the tc5 if you want to race, with the hard plastic now out, you can race it with foam or rubber and be a threat.

If you want something to beat on and RTR I would look at the losi xxxs rtr kits.
I second that. TC5 is a good choice if you are in the Americas. I am getting my soon... anticipating...
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

i 3rd that good car, good part support and i will be around for a while. most if not all hobby shops will carry or can get parts within a few days for the tc5
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for everyones comments. I have checked out the TC5 and i have determined i dont want to spend that much right now. I will not be competitive racing just in parking lots and stuff. thats why i think im leaning toward the Tamiya tb02. it seems to have lots of available hopups and lots of OLD SCHOOL bodies. if anyone has any opinions on why not to get this car id like to know.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
Tech Adept

look at tamiya tao5 or kyosho tf5.kyosho makes 2 varients of this car 1 is belt the other is shaft the tao5 is belt but strong and smoooooth good for bashing around and racing[URL="http://kyosho.com"][URL="http://tamiyausa.com"] have a look at these i still have a mk1 spider in working order thats about 7-10years old still runs fine
Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL_AudiRacer View Post
I am just getting back into RC cars after about 5 years. the last car i owned was an HPI RS4 2 i think it had Belt drive which i was not really a fan of.
Before i go and waste my money i would like some opinions on a good car to start out with again.

I dont consider myself a rookie but it seems lots has changed in my brief departure. i want something for parking lot racing and just spirited driving on weekends. i would like to join local club also.

any input is greatly appreciated

Thnaks
tc-5 is good and the parts are cheap.
some guys at my local track are changing from x ray to tc-5.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote