R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2003, 01:37 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Guys, let's don't turn this into a flaming war. Bottom line is both cars are competitive and they both have their ups and downs. It's all in the eye of the beholder and driving is your best aid in winning.

My judgemnet on this subject, well let me just say we are comparing apples to avacodos because the surikan evolution 3 is a graphite plate chassis while the TC3 is a graphite tub chassis.

Last edited by webspinner; 06-25-2003 at 01:59 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:26 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

I have had Team version of the TC3 since it was released by AE.I went set of arms a qualifier.Now I have third generation arm & a RPM bumper & no problems what so ever.I`d say get the Tc3 cus their is more people to share setups,tire combos,handling advice & ETC. ETC..
rcconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:35 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by proudwinner
Guys, let's don't turn this into a flaming war. Bottom line is both cars are competitive and they both have their ups and downs. It's all in the eye of the beholder and driving is your best aid in winning.

My judgemnet on this subject, well let me just say we are comparing apples to avacodos because the surikan evolution 3 is a graphite plate chassis while the TC3 is a graphite tub chassis.
Agree.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:16 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

go for the evo3s. tamiya has better quality in their products compared to associated. yes maybe the parts are cheaper, but the quality of those parts suck. i got a associated 1/12 and the quality was horrible, the instructions were horrible and the tools that came with it was horrible. (my hex screw driver didn't work because of metric and standard) so i'd go for the e3s. i hav an e3 and it is soo damn smooth and plus the new one would probably be better, and the gear casing probably won't stripe. AND the screws are in metric!
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:17 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rcconcept
I have had Team version of the TC3 since it was released by AE.I went set of arms a qualifier.Now I have third generation arm & a RPM bumper & no problems what so ever.I`d say get the Tc3 cus their is more people to share setups,tire combos,handling advice & ETC. ETC..
not really...i'd say there are equal amounts...just click the evo 3 thread and ask on!
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:14 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

go for the evo3.better build quality,newer design and its a tamiya!cant beet that quality.feel the perfect fit between the hardened wishbones and hubs.they have a engineering tolerence in the suspension arms.u feel a associated its horrible ones got a tiny bit of movement and the other none.feel a tamiyas its a controled amount of movement that tamiya purposly put in for smoothnest and no binding.
trf man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:24 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ABOUT THE TC3:

I have never had the cronic arm snapping that is described here. Hang back up i did when the car was new and i had not installed a buds bumper and now the much better RPM bumper. Why cars today ship out the door with out a proper width bumper i dont know! (actually its so they can sell spares)

Since i installed real bumper i rarely break front end parts. Sure the odd arm breaks but i have never been so fustrated with breakage that i would just dump the car. Once i switched to LOSI hubs last fall all that i have replaced on my car was 1 front a-arm and 2 rear arms. Thats a full 20 odd race days on a indoor carpet track with 19 motors..

Run any car out of the box and i think they will break, in cluding my new yok SD. I installed a buds bumper on it for my second outing. Im sure i wont break as easily now
Old 06-25-2003, 07:35 AM   #23
Tech Adept

will the evo3 double deck graphite chassis be stiffer then the graphite composite chassis of the FTTC3?
crono man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:22 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I happen to have both cars (FTTC3 and Evo3 Surikarn) so I will try to put things in perspective.

Build Quality and Fit and Finish: Evo3S hands down
Freeness of Drivetrain: Evo3S out of the box but both can be
made almost equally free
Durability: Evo3 is a lot more durable in everything except for
the drivetrain. The oneway gear stripping problem has been
nonexistent in the Surikarn version so far but I havent had the
car for too long yet. The TC3 has a stronger drivetrain but is a
a bit heavier (more rotating mass).
Adjustability: Evo3 hands down
Chassis Stiffness: Same (regular Evo3 is not as stiff)
Weight: Evo3S very slightly lighter (My Evo3S is very slightly
heavier because I am using Square Alum Gear cases)

Bottomline: Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses.
Both cars are competitive at the highest level. As of right
now, I would pick the Evo3S in stocck or 19t spec but would
take the TC3 for mod due to the drivetrain issue. But I am
hoping that the Evo3S will work for me in mod too. Will try it
after I get the car dialed for 19t first.
jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:40 AM   #25

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

OK i have to comment on the chassis stiffness issue, the tub will be stiffer than the plates. Any thing can flex and always will but its how much is what comes into play. I have driven an evo3 and ft tc3. I pick the ft tc3 on foams ne day. The chassis stiffness is what comes into play the most for no chassis roll. The ft tc3 has a stiffer chassis because of the ribs and the outside rib along the chassis, this makes the chassis less susceptible to flew because of these flex inhibiting designs. If you look at the differences between Xrays evo2(i own one) and the new racer, the racer will have way more success because of the new tub chassis because of the ribs for stiffness.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:20 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Quote:
not really...i'd say there are equal amounts...just click the evo 3 thread and ask on!
More people own TC3 & thats what I meant
rcconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:23 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Jedi: How does the alum. gear case compare to the stock plastic gear case that comes with the Evo3? I'd be interested to know as to its benefits apart from killer good looks

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi
I happen to have both cars (FTTC3 and Evo3 Surikarn) so I will try to put things in perspective.

Build Quality and Fit and Finish: Evo3S hands down
Freeness of Drivetrain: Evo3S out of the box but both can be
made almost equally free
Durability: Evo3 is a lot more durable in everything except for
the drivetrain. The oneway gear stripping problem has been
nonexistent in the Surikarn version so far but I havent had the
car for too long yet. The TC3 has a stronger drivetrain but is a
a bit heavier (more rotating mass).
Adjustability: Evo3 hands down
Chassis Stiffness: Same (regular Evo3 is not as stiff)
Weight: Evo3S very slightly lighter (My Evo3S is very slightly
heavier because I am using Square Alum Gear cases)

Bottomline: Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses.
Both cars are competitive at the highest level. As of right
now, I would pick the Evo3S in stocck or 19t spec but would
take the TC3 for mod due to the drivetrain issue. But I am
Old 06-26-2003, 06:33 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by trf man
go for the evo3.better build quality,newer design and its a tamiya!cant beet that quality.feel the perfect fit between the hardened wishbones and hubs.they have a engineering tolerence in the suspension arms.u feel a associated its horrible ones got a tiny bit of movement and the other none.feel a tamiyas its a controled amount of movement that tamiya purposly put in for smoothnest and no binding.
Allright.

Let's start by saying I'm no special AE nut. Actually I sold my TC3 a few weeks ago (mostly because I knew the car would become very difficult to sell here in Europe because of the SD being released soon). If I had been a harcore AE fan I'd have kept it. I enjoyed it and won my share of local races with it, but was not "overwhelmed" either. It's a very good design overall.

Let's keep going by saying the usual "both cars have their strengths and weaknesses they're both good and both can win in the hands of a potent driver".

Now, back to the core topic. what's above looks wrong to me, and this is why:

1- Newer design doesn't mean squat. An Evo3 is just a 41X with a shaft tranny. They released this "new" car just to surf on the shaft bandwagon and steal some market shares from AE who are sweeping the market, that's all. A longer living design like the TC3 is actually a good sign that a manufacturer cares about its products and customers and doesn't force them to buy a new "updated" version every 6 months.

2- Except a few wins from Tamiya ace Surikarn, the Tc3 is still winning most major races around the globe in national and local championships. Don't judge a car by the fact that it won the worlds, but rather by the fact that it wins at the middle level

3- Most Tamiya products are well known for tons of slop right out of the box.

4- ANY car will get slop in its suspension parts after a few hits anyway...

5- sorry, but by using the handle "trf man" you can't expect people to consider you as an unbiased contributor to this thread.

Now, as far as which is better, I won't get into that. I know the Tc3 very well, I know the Evo3 a lot less. All I can say is beware when listening to people who seem to have an obvious bias toward one brand, since they will dismise (sp?) any product from another brand.

Bottom line, get whichever car has the most support (shops, racers) in your area. Both cars are potent contenders, no doubt about that.

Later
Paul

PS: Glad to see some people had the same experience as me with the TC3's front A-arms, ie they're just as robust as any other brand's...

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:42 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ichynads

The square alum gear box works very well. The fit is great. I did not have to put any shims. The drivetrain is very free when using 2 alum gearboxes. When I first assembled the kit, I only put an alum gearbox in front and used the stock one for the rear. I then tried spinning the drivetrain but it felt slightly notchy. I changed the rear gearbox to alum and everything became smooth. I am sure this was not cause by faulty assembly as this is my second evo3 and I have taken apart and reassembled the the evo3 gearbox several times. I ran my surikarn evo3 about 20 times so far with a 19t motor and have not have any one way gear problems (or any other problem for that matter) yet. The car is running great and is, in my opinion, a much better car than the old evo3.

The only downside to the alum gearbox is it's weight. It is consideraly heavier than the stack gearbox but is much more reliable and stronger. I would only consider using the stock gearbox for 27t or 23t motors right now. For 19t, mod, or brushless motors, I would only use the alum ones but that's just me.

Jedi
jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:02 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi
But I am
me too. i have a 6T hacker brushless comming to pop into the evo3S

those gears definatly need to be derlin man!

good to hear about the square stuff i plan on building the kit from the get go with the alum cases front/rear and with a few other alloy parts that are drive train dependant/supportive.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote