Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I take it you have seen Bobbys packs.. Good to know .. ty Ted
And I think it's easier to refer to the cells as round.. or flat..
self explanetory.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Danny/SMC always seems to be at the cutting edge of thecnology .
I would like to see what the #'s are like from the Orion 3600 with barrel connectors . My charger won't give average voltage or do 35 amps, let alone i.r. . Seems to me the round cells have more snap, but not the ability to sustain voltage over time. I'd love to see a chart plotting the two discharge cycles against one another . For that matter , I wonder what #'s the pros have in their cars compared to what I can buy right from SMC ?

We will be testing all popular Lipos to see the difference between ours and what is available on the market. When we released our 22C pack we did test many packs and our pack had the best average voltage and lowest IR.

As far as voltage curves between NiMh and our new Lipos the NiMh should still have a bit more voltage upfront but possibly the super low IR of our new packs may mean that the Lipo may run as well or better. We will be track testing after the Snowbirds.

Our Team drivers do get the best cells we have at the time of the major race but since we do so many cells every week we only pick cells the week of the race so all they other weeks where there is no major races we sell everything we match up so there is plenty of great packs on the market. The newer generation NiMh cells are very consistent voltage wise so there isn't a big difference between cells so there is plenty of packs with the same performance.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

so i need to get packs the week b4 the week b4 the big race ..lol
kidding.. thx dan!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
We will be testing all popular Lipos to see the difference between ours and what is available on the market. When we released our 22C pack we did test many packs and our pack had the best average voltage and lowest IR.
The #'s on the new packs look good.. how do the "old" 22c packs compare?

When you run the tests can you do them all at the same temp and same charge method? Ex: 70*F room temp would help give accurate results for others use as a basis to compare whatever packs they have.

Results are higher temps could be your secret
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Our Prototype/Samples came in today and I must say that our manufacturer has come through on these new 28C packs as the capacity , average voltage and IR is very impressive.

We cycled the packs using a CE Lipo Turbo35/GFX using a 5 amp charge and a 35 amp discharge down to 6 volts.

5000/28C pack cycled out at 542 seconds (5268mAh) , 7.38 average voltage and 6.1 Internal Resistance.

4000/28C pack cycled out at 423 seconds (4112mAh) , 7.33 average voltage and 7.2 Internal Resistance.

WOW. Now that does look promising.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Company Representative

I have been matching cells and testing them for the last 20 years or so and when we cycle and do tests the temperature is kept the same. For others to compare on there T35 is a bit tough as one T35 can read a bit different than an other. Also the tests are done through both Deans connectors which means the numbers we get and see are what is going to the speed control.

No multiple cycles were done in a row to get better numbers and the pack wasn't preheated prior to cycling but I'm sure some of you will still want to discredit me or think I'm manipulating the numbers but any of you are welcome to stop by at the Snowbirds and we will cycle the pack there for everyone to see or you can simply buy a Lipo GFX and get one of these packs when it becomes available.

We have spent allot of time and effort to find the best possible Lipo supplier and our goal is to offer the highest performing Lipos to our customers.

Our current 22C pack is normally around 520 - 7.23 - 10.0
Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been matching cells and testing them for the last 20 years or so and when we cycle and do tests the temperature is kept the same. For others to compare on there T35 is a bit tough as one T35 can read a bit different than an other. Also the tests are done through both Deans connectors which means the numbers we get and see are what is going to the speed control.

No multiple cycles were done in a row to get better numbers and the pack wasn't preheated prior to cycling but I'm sure some of you will still want to discredit me or think I'm manipulating the numbers but any of you are welcome to stop by at the Snowbirds and we will cycle the pack there for everyone to see or you can simply buy a Lipo GFX and get one of these packs when it becomes available.

We have spent allot of time and effort to find the best possible Lipo supplier and our goal is to offer the highest performing Lipos to our customers.

Our current 22C pack is normally around 520 - 7.23 - 10.0
I have no reason to doubt you... I've been around the hobby for 20 years too lol. You are right... not everybody's T30/35 will give the same #'s.

I just wanted to know the basic environment of the tests... given the discussion of this thread.

If you are willing to give out test data in a public forum, I think that's great.. of course some will believe it's gospel and some will be skeptical no matter what.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Company Representative

I will get you detailed info on Monday as we will test the packs again. I will have the temp of the pack prior to the start of the charge. There is no secrets or Voodoo here. Just a normal regular cycle using a new Lipo GFX set at 5 amps with a 35 amp discharge down to 6 volts. The voltage sensing leads are attached on the male Deans plug so results take into consideration the voltage drop of both connectors and solder joints.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Why don't you run the deans wires and balancing tap out the top corner instead of the side? Then the pack would fit in most cars with no modification.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by kcobra
Why don't you run the deans wires and balancing tap out the top corner instead of the side? Then the pack would fit in most cars with no modification.

This was mentioned in the first part of this thread. The cells are new 28C cells which have a bigger tab where the 12 guage wires attach and the only way they can come out is on the side. These new packs are high performance packs and unfortunately they may not fit in every car perfectly but we have no choice as our goal is to supply the racers with the fastest possible Lipos.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Testing done with a standard CC-CV charge profile? How about cycle life? How many cycles before the batteries deteriorate?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Company Representative

Yes the Lipo GFX is CC-CV and probably one of the best if not the best charger on the market.

As far as cycle life we don't know as we just got them in and to be perfectly honest it's not that important as these packs are high performance packs designed for RC car racing so performance is the key thing. That being said our 22C pack has very good performance and is holding up very well so I expect our 28C packs to be as good if not better due to the C rate being higher so the packs will not get stressed as much but only time will tell.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Company Representative

We cycled a second 5000/28C pack to see the difference between that one and the first one we cycled.

Both packs were cycled 3 times and cycle info comes from the 3rd cycle. Pack temp is 72 degrees at the start of the cycle.

The first pack numbers are the original numbers posted in my post above.

Second pack: 539 (5239mAH) , 7.39 and 6.1

Last edited by Danny/SMC; 01-27-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

How long before the batterys will be on sell and where can i get one
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iceman76
How long before the batterys will be on sell and where can i get one
Not if I get my hands on these puppies, first!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.