Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos >

SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos

SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Someone at my track plugged the connectors in reversed and boom. I would suggest updating the connectors so they can't be reversed.
Lipos dont go boom. I witnessed recently (and heard about recently) of 2 different people hooking their Orion packs up backwards. Both just caused the pack to be unusable (from the fuse). One of them the ESC started smoking. I have my leads cut to make hooking them up backwards impossible. For this reason the Orion design seems a bit flawed. On the other hand when you have the wires coming out then when someone goes to change the plugs if they arent careful they could possibly short the pack.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
The resistence is in the circuit board inside the pack, not the plugs.
Concider the # of connections... and the circuit board is sufficient conductor on its surface to allow proper current flow. And from the pac i had appart the board was only there to hold the barrel in position. Also concider the surface area in which each connector has. Something tells me I'm going to have to post a picture of my car to make a point. But lets just say that less wire (no matter what guage) and the fewer connections, the better!!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
The resistence is in the circuit board inside the pack, not the plugs.
Concider the # of connections... and the circuit board is sufficient conductor on its surface to allow proper current flow. And from the pac I had apart the board was only there to hold the barrel in position. Also concider the surface area in which each connector has. Something tells me I'm going to have to post a picture of my car to make a point. But lets just say that less wire (no matter what guage) and the fewer connections, the better!!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Someone at my track plugged the connectors in reversed and boom. I would suggest updating the connectors so they can't be reversed.
Lipos dont go boom. I witnessed recently (and heard about recently) of 2 different people hooking their Orion packs up backwards. Both just caused the pack to be unusable (from the fuse). One of them the ESC started smoking. I have my leads cut to make hooking them up backwards impossible. For this reason the Orion design seems a bit flawed. On the other hand when you have the wires coming out then when someone goes to change the plugs if they arent careful they could possibly short the pack.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
that would be great or the buyers could just pay attention to the (+) and (-) markings on the battery.
HA! Thats what we all told him. But, he said that the pattern of the carbon fiber dashes on his 3600 make him think it was correct.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital

The boom I was refering to is sound of the fuse.

At the track I race at, most people are in a transition phase from MH to Lipo, including myself. So, to be able to run both, they have leads from the speedo to deans, then to the barrel connectors to the battery, redundant, but necessary.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Say what you want .. i love my lipos.. no more bs!!
waiting for saddle packs for my 501x and 12th cars...
and I have seen round cells explode.. in person... not mine , but none the less... violent! I was hit by a casing>>> not fun!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Agreed!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Agreed!
Raffaelli?????? Posting???????? Is he still around???????? What?????? Are my eyes deceiving me??

Hi Chris...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Skip.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Maybe you should make some post in french!

Back to the topic of this thread...

-what are the weight and dimentions of these packs, what will fit in the new bread of TC's?
-Is there room to push that balancing port wire stuff back into the case?
-Can the case be opened and closed?
-Whats the estimated street price?
-if fitment is not an issue does one pack put out more performance then the other in a typical 5-6minute run?

Thanks for the info..

Dimensions of the prototypes posted on the previous page.

I will have the weight once we get the samples in whichn should hopefully by the end of this week. The 4000 should fit in all sedans easily. The 5000 will require some fitting or possibly aftermarket chassis/top deck.

Not sure about the balancing port being able to be pushed back inside.

The case will be glued so I would say it can't be opened. Which I don't see a need to open it anyway.

Street price should be about very close to our current 22C pack.

The 5000 will have a bit better performance as cell size makes for more performance. I will have the data as soon as I get our first samples.

We hope to have them available by the end of February.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

So will all soft pack Lipos be discontinued ?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

soft packs are for helis and planes! so that wont happen..
but as far as cars go?
yes!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

If the pack is glued together, will there be room for the cells to expand if there is a problem? I know Orion doesnt glue their's together for that reason.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

I have seen the hard cases pop open during touring on carpet racing after impact. We took at look at how it was hald together. Seemed like there were small non-locking tabs with CA on them. Can they be molded to actually lock together? Maybe a couple of small screws?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.