R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Here is something else ALL of you are failing to realize. When you "PEAK" a Lipo up to 9.00 volts, you are only peaking the pack. When you stop the charger the voltage drops and holds around 8.70-8.80 depending on the charger.

A Lipo is still a battery that stores and holds voltage whether it be 6.4 or 8.5 it's just a battery. Most 7.4 volt 2 cell Lipo's are rated up to 10.0 volts. So a pack could be "PEAKED" to 9.0 without any issues. The problem arises over time. Continued Peaking or Overcharging will eventually result in cell failure and a fire. I have not seen this yet and I'm on 3 months of overcharging 4 times a day every Saturday. I make 15 runs a day, 10 practice, 3 heats, and quick practice , and then the mains. 4 of the 15 runs are overcharged.

This is totally unsafe but it is very effective on the track as it yields a good 2 tenths per lap faster.

Normal charged 8.4 packs some off the track after 4 minutes with 7.70-7.80 volts. With an peaked 9.00 (8.80 steady volt) the pack comes off a 4 minute run with 8.00-8.10 volts. That's a huge difference and in high end racing that can meant he difference between the A and B.
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #92
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Danny, no offense but I cant believe you want this crap out there for PPL to read. Great, some 14yr old kid is going to read that now and go throw his new Lipo on his NiMh peak charger to try to overcharge it.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #93
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing View Post
This is totally unsafe but it is very effective on the track as it yeilds a good 2 tenths per lap faster.
This statement right here shows how ridiculous your posts are. You must assume every track is the same size.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #94
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

So now for every .1v equals .2 second per lap? Dude charge the pack at 1C and go practice!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #95
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
This statement right here shows how ridiculous your posts are. You must assume every track is the same size.
I do not know what or where you race but Carpet and Paved oval racing have seen the same advantage in performance. In some cases we have had to re-setup the cars because speed changed the handling.
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #96
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing View Post
I do not know what or where you race but Carpet and Paved oval racing have seen the same advantage in performance. In some cases we have had to re-setup the cars because speed changed the handling.
Im not surprised you didnt understand what I posted. There is no way to compare battery #'s to track lap times b/c not all tracks are the same size. If I told you my track was a mile long would you tell me Im .2 faster?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #97
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

It's a known fact that overcharging a LiPo is both faster, and very dangerous. This is exactly why ROAR has a rule in place to DQ anybody caught doing it. It simply cannot be tolerated. Anybody caught doing it should be banned. There should be no tolerance on this one.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #98
Tech Adept
 
ToddFalkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 164
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski
Default

As a track owner, it scares and amazes me that this comes out. As a racer for almost 20 years, this doesn't surprise me in the least bit- I mean, we should think that this will be different than anything else?

What scares me is the guy that comes to our indoor carpet track... you know the guy... He can teach your mom how to go through menopause... He can walk on water, and knows everything- the self-proclaimed expert. He's the guy that thinks, "well, if some is good, more is better". *Remember, this post isn't being read by the "inner circle", it's read by everyone.

That's the idiot that will turn our track into rubble. That's the idiot lurking out there that we required LiPo Sacks for (before ROAR ruled it necessary).

Should we encourage that idiot?
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #99
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 68
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Never mind.

Last edited by OldNSlow2; 01-21-2008 at 09:16 PM.
OldNSlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #100
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's a known fact that overcharging a LiPo is both faster, and very dangerous. This is exactly why ROAR has a rule in place to DQ anybody caught doing it. It simply cannot be tolerated. Anybody caught doing it should be banned. There should be no tolerance on this one.
To follow-up on this. Its also a known fact that if you take the time you spend cycling your battery a dozen times to get .1 per lap and actually practice then you pick up .3 per lap.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #101
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNSlow2 View Post
Danny--you say LIPO is not perfect, great, so you support some person teaching people how to build a damn bomb. If you think LIPO is stupid don't sell them don't support someone telling people how to make them fail.

And Tornado--give us all a break, changing set-up because you got more voltage, please. Shows me, no, proves to me you are one of those whiners that is always complaining you don't have a good motor or good battery's....go practice instead of blowing up battery's!

Don't you two think there is some reason LIPO SAFE chargers stop at 8.4 volts.
Whining doesn't win races, driving, setup, prep, knowledge, and luck win races. Because I was prepared it helped me TQ and win the Birds last year. I don't have to whine as you would be one of the guys chasing me around the track.

Don't get on here and preach to me, I've forgotten more about motor, battery, and set up than you'll even know or learn.
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #102
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
To follow-up on this. Its also a known fact that if you take the time you spend cycling your battery a dozen times to get .1 per lap and actually practice then you pick up .3 per lap.
Kool then I'd be 4 tenths per lap faster than you. Same goes for you, don't get one here and run your mouth. I've put in my time and won my fair share of races.

People have the right to know what can and can't be done with Lipos dangerous or not. It's been beat into their heads peak and run and sorry it ain't so.............
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #103
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNSlow2 View Post
Danny--you say LIPO is not perfect, great, so you support some person teaching people how to build a damn bomb. If you think LIPO is stupid don't sell them don't support someone telling people how to make them fail.

And Tornado--give us all a break, changing set-up because you got more voltage, please. Shows me, no, proves to me you are one of those whiners that is always complaining you don't have a good motor or good battery's....go practice instead of blowing up battery's!

Don't you two think there is some reason LIPO SAFE chargers stop at 8.4 volts.
I almost think Danny wants to see LiPo discredited. He's really done nothing but badmouth it and tell us how much it's going to suck when everybody starts using it.

Todd,

It's a shame. In this particular case, it could be scary. Even tracks that aren't ROAR-affiliated should follow their LiPo rules, 'cause you know an insurance company is going to do it right. Maybe ROAR should institute a 1 year ban on anybody caught breaking that rule, or something like that. A strong message needs to be sent early on.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm done with you guys and sorry if I offended anyone at all.
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #105
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing View Post
Kool then I'd be 4 tenths per lap faster than you. Same goes for you, don't get one here and run your mouth. I've put in my time and won my fair share of races.

People have the right to know what can and can't be done with Lipos dangerous or not. It's been beat into their heads peak and run and sorry it ain't so.............
Your right, I'll just laugh my a$$ off when someone finds you liable for damages to their property b/c you think your warning really covers you or when you are DQed from your next big race b/c you are caught doing this

If you can sleep at night then more power to you...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC 4100 and 5200 Hardcase 7.4V 24C Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 90 04-05-2009 10:55 AM
SMC 4000 mah Hardcase Lipos 28C NIB rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 09-12-2008 11:20 AM
SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah wfdfiremedic Electric On-Road 624 08-27-2008 10:09 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
new maxamps 4000mah 7.4v Lipos $75 aussiebuddha Australia For Sale/Trade 2 02-01-2007 04:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:19 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net