R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I don't think the way those wires exit these will fit most offroad 2wd buggies and trucks.
Good point it may be to there interest to make that hole continue over the top a bit.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Default lipo legle

hey all:looks like smc and others are rushing to get their owne lipo packs to market now that roar has made them legal.One question though i terms of charging and maintenance are they better than sub-c cells or just a different option for racers/hobbyists?Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
hey all:looks like smc and others are rushing to get their owne lipo packs to market now that roar has made them legal.One question though i terms of charging and maintenance are they better than sub-c cells or just a different option for racers/hobbyists?Thanks
Much better/easier maintenance and charging than nickel packs. No games to play like cycling, discharging, timing your charge during the races, or even remembering which pack you just charged and which you just took out of the car when you are scrambling to get ready to run.

After a run, you walk back to the pits, set car down, hook up charger and in a few minutes you are ready for the next run. That's about it.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks like nice stuff Danny...

You really should try to get the plug exit hole at least closer to the top so it might work without mods in offroad cars. It probably doesn't have to exit out the top to work... just high enough to clear the chassis tub.

Is there really not enough room to get the wires turned north?? Maye do 13ga instead and a modded case for offroad.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

danny will the 4000 fit the corally rdx (not the new phi)???
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Pricing and availability is still to be determined.

We may come out with saddle lipos but it will take some time.

No way to get the wires to come out on top as we have to use 12 gauge wire and the solder tabs on the cells are very big as these are 28C packs. So for offroad cars you will need to cutout part of the battery channel or get our current 22C 5000 pack which the wires come out o.k. for offroad cars.
Will EA be carrying the lipo packs?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

do the 4000 fit the phi
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #23
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Will EA be carrying the lipo packs?
Yes. These are the LIPO packs that I will be carrying and will be reconmending to all my Team drivers that wish to use Lipo's. One of my team guys has been testing some of the different SMC Lipo's now for a few months with nothing but success. He has track tested them against all other brands currently available and tells me these are the best he has ran and cycled. He is very good about testing and is who I send everything to track test and torture test

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

The real question is this...will you be making one that will fit the Tamiya M03 Mini's... The TCS has just made them legal but we're all limited only to the Orion/Peak 3200's.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Yes. These are the LIPO packs that I will be carrying and will be reconmending to all my Team drivers that wish to use Lipo's. One of my team guys has been testing some of the different SMC Lipo's now for a few months with nothing but success. He has track tested them against all other brands currently available and tells me these are the best he has ran and cycled. He is very good about testing and is who I send everything to track test and torture test

EA
Sweet.....I just hope I don't get jumped by a bunch of crips at the track....ha ha ha ha
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Red rocket!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #27
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post

We released a 22C 5000 Lipo 3 months or so ago and it seemed like most wanted a hardcase version so our new packs are hardcase versions with improved C rate which will improve the performance.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #28
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I don't think the way those wires exit these will fit most offroad 2wd buggies and trucks.
There is no way to make a Lipo pack that will fit perfectly in every car. Companies who offer terminals on top sacrifice performance by using a PC board with tubes which increases voltage drop. We have opted for 12 gauge wire and due to the cells being 28C the solder taps are fairly big so we have no choice to get the wires coming out of the side. For offroad car you will need to cut the battery channel to allow the wires to come out.

If you don't want to cut the battery channel you can use our 22C pack which has great performance and has 12 gauge wires that don't require you to cut any part of the battery channel.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #29
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Much better/easier maintenance and charging than nickel packs. No games to play like cycling, discharging, timing your charge during the races, or even remembering which pack you just charged and which you just took out of the car when you are scrambling to get ready to run.

After a run, you walk back to the pits, set car down, hook up charger and in a few minutes you are ready for the next run. That's about it.

If you use Lipos in types of racing where speed/power is critical then you will need to maintain your lipos properly to keep them running at there best. This means you will need to discharge them under high amp loads to keep the IR low and voltage as high as possible. Lipos have memory and need to be cycled at high amp loads to keep there performance level. For those playing around or race where speed is not critical then recharging them and not doing anything special to them will work.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #30
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Looks like nice stuff Danny...

You really should try to get the plug exit hole at least closer to the top so it might work without mods in offroad cars. It probably doesn't have to exit out the top to work... just high enough to clear the chassis tub.

Is there really not enough room to get the wires turned north?? Maye do 13ga instead and a modded case for offroad.
There is no room to make the wires come out any differently. These are high performance 28C packs so the use of 12 guage wire is the way to go.