R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #166
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
All you guys need to do is to talk to your track owner and police overcharging together.


It has been my experience when we mention something on these boards that some of you refuse to believe it or accept it. I think that posting about overcharging in this manner will get everyones attention.

I have talked about overcharging in the past only to be told it's easy to tech and won't be allowed but we need to get the info out there and if this thread makes everyone aware about it then it's a good thing.
You have had 2 different track owners tell you they dont want the details posted. We happily ran lipo for over a year before this came along.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #167
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,665
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedone View Post
this is like attacking
apple cause I cant hear
or
mcdonalds for hot coffe
or
fords for my blinker light going out
or
Comp electronics for allowing there charger to do it
or
horizon for made in usa

you all have charged at more than suggested nimh and they are blowing up also

IF YOU SEE THIS HAPPENING AT YOUR TRACK STOP IT UNPLUG IT MAKE SOME NOISE THAT MATTERS

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER SHOOT THE GUY THAT IS GOING TO DO IT AND WE ALL KNOW WHO THEY ARE
hmm since you reference McDonald's coffee...

Maybe we can sue SMC when a pack blows burns me. Sure coffee is hot...we all know that. But heck look up Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants.
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #168
Company Representative
 
Danny/SMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Elkton, VA
Posts: 3,097
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

O.K. so just to make you guys happy Tony can delete the part about overcharging as I think the point has been made. I hope the track owners will be figuring out ways to keep racers from overcharging.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #169
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 577
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

At first i was upset that you would even post that info. After reading I think you were actually trying to show probably the first way of mis use and dangers with lipo's. I'm in agreement with others though that you shouldn't of posted step by step instructions because of the age of some of the readers.

Now that being said, and the fact that many of us run different classes/ cars, some still require 4 cell NIMH, some 6 cell NIMh and others lipo's...i think ROAR needs to MANDATE lipo's can ONLY be charged with a LIPO ONLY CHARGER. Eliminate any intentional or accidential mistakes.

Now don't start crying you'll have to buy another charger, because if a "better" one came out tomorrow, everyone would buy it anyway.

i personally went to lipo because at the club level offroad racing the guys are getting 2 plus years from the same lipo's.

Last edited by miket3; 01-20-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: cool
miket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #170
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Simply do not post it Jack. Then you will not have any trouble.

Also, SMC's racer posted it. Why didn't someone ask him to remove/edit his post?
First, I did not post it.
Second, removing it will not make it go away. I talked with EFRA about this issue a couple weeks ago and they were aware of it. This is one reason they are hesitant about legalizing lipos. We talked to ROAR about it and they were aware of it too. This may be news to you, but plenty of people are already doing this.
It is inevitable that once these batteries become more entrenched in racing, people will find ways to extract more performance out of them, even if it shortens the life of the packs. It happens with EVERYTHING in racing.
Just because we are the messengers doesn't mean we condone it.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #171
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

This has to be the most disturbing thread I read here so far.

When did rc racing turn into Major League Baseball. SMC sounds like a bunch of steroid dealers trying to sell you a product and condoning unsafe ways to give you an edge. A cheating edge that is. Now Jack and Danny are starting to sound like Roger Clemens. What? Who? Me?!?!?

I like my Lipo battery the way it is. SIMPLE! Charge it, Run it. I'll just find a whole lot better way to gain seconds which again is simple. Car set up and practice.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #172
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
This has to be the most disturbing thread I read here so far.

When did rc racing turn into Major League Baseball. SMC sounds like a bunch of steroid dealers trying to sell you a product and condoning unsafe ways to give you an edge. A cheating edge that is. Now Jack and Danny are starting to sound like Roger Clemens. What? Who? Me?!?!?

I like my Lipo battery the way it is. SIMPLE! Charge it, Run it. I'll just find a whole lot better way to gain seconds which again is simple. Car set up and practice.
You are kind of right....You just read the Mitchel report and you can't believe this could happen in your sport. We are the "Mitchel report", not the steroid abusers. Why can't anyone see this?
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #173
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

To the LIPO groupies on this thread. You guys are idots if you think this stuff isn't happening at a track near you. I have known about this for quite a while and it is only a matter of time before the "pack" warmers and other parapanalia start making an appearance at YOUR track.

I don't even run LIPO right now and this is common knowelege. You guys need to POLICE YOUR HOME TRACK and make SURE that bad stuff doesnt' happen near you.

Don't shoot the messenger. Use this information to make your track a safer place to race.
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #174
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All 48 states...
Posts: 2,053
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Personally I am all for a company that will public state the pros and cons of the products they carry....I just wish more companys out there would do the same. I am seriuosly looking towards SMC for future products...
__________________
Schuurspeed / Aero-model / Gear One / LG1
www.OHRCR.com
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #175
Tech Elite
 
Anthony.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 2,701
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Do you guys seriously think you can single handily keep this info from getting out? If ROAR list charging rules in the new 2008 handbook then it's pretty obvious this is no secret and has been happening already for sometime.

There are a couple people on here that think they are the lipo and brushless vigilante and it's getting really annoying.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #176
Tech Elite
 
glassdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

First, let me say I've supported SMC here before.... I had SMC's back last summer when they released the first lipo packs and the Orion zealots were beating on them for mfg. specs etc.

But now I think it's clear that SMC's attitude and actions with this topic are not good, which is why they are getting blasted. I don't know these guys and it's nothing personal. But it smells like a rat.

1. Show us the data that verifies the drastic performance advantage of overcharging lipos. I don't doubt there's a statistical improvement, but I do question how much gain there is.

2. Whatever advantage can be gained... IMO it's pointless unless you already have THE BEST lipo on the market. We don't know for a fact which pack is the greatest... and that's something that will change anyway, just like anything else.

If a racer thinks he must have the advantage at any cost, then he should be buying the latest packs from every company to find the best one. Spare us the "destructive and illegal charging will give you an edge" (and other guy is doing it anyway) crap. Oh, but don't do it... cause it's cheating and you will need to buy more packs from us in a few weeks *wink*

So.... there is no reason to condone this practice. Besides, since it's SMC's claim that their packs are the best on the market then they should point out that you already have the advantage and don't need to overcharge lipos unless everyone at your track is running SMCs.

If you are going to cheat to win... try rewinding your motor or something. Ruining your lipos is not worth it.

That's just my opinion.

Show me the graphs now.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #177
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

SMC should be denouncing this practice, and trying to educate people about the extreme danger involved, not using it as a way to try and discredit LiPo. Use your good name in this industry to do the right thing, not try and make your ignorant point.

Tell your drones to shut the hell up, and threaten to kick them off the team if they ever participate in this practice. People look up to you guys, and you're trying to hide behind this in some kind of idiotic "I told you so" stance on LiPo. What the hell is wrong with you guys? Can't you see how deeply evil this is?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #178
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: north-west Indiana
Posts: 748
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
trilerian: Your missing the point. Overcharging gives a huge performance increase but I agree it shouldn't be done.

Cycling your packs at high amp rates and getting rid of the memory effect does give a good advantage and is safe.

Just because we point out some potential issues with the use of Lipos in high end racing doesn't mean were idiots or we can't drive a car. The fact is that if you properly train your Lipos they will perform better. The Hype about Lipos is that you just keep it in your car and keep recharging it but the fact is that you can have more performance if you cycle/condition it.
I don't believe I have missed the point. I understand very well what you claim, and everything you claim may be true, however you shouldn't say overcharging gives a huge performance increase, but you shouldn't do it. That is like telling Adam and Eve that they shouldn't eat from the tree of knowledge, hint, hint.

Now, telling us there are safe ways to gain an advantage with lipo, that is all good, I don't do regular maintenance on my nimh cells just because I enjoy it. Also I never said you were an idiot, nor did I call anyone else an idiot. I simply said overcharging is idiotic, stupid, and I could name a few other words. This is in regards to overcharging nimh cells as well. And I didn't say you couldn't drive, I simply said that if an edge was needed maybe you need to learn to drive better.

However, I do want to thank you, while I don't like the way it was addressed, nonetheless it is out there what to look for. And since both of the track owners at the tracks I race at have been on this thread and posted opinions I now have no fear that it will be overlooked.

Finally, from a business perspective, in the future I would be cautious as to who you allow to represent you. From a consumer stand point the post from Tornado_Racer has shied me away from the SMC lipo. At first reading I thought good, another lipo to choose from, maybe I will give it a try. But not now, I guess I will just have to make up the difference with my driving.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #179
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

wouldn't posting to look for overcharging at your local track be good enough?

Well this is the same company that kept pimping the batch of IB's that were blowing up and kept their ground that there was a compromise to get the best performance instead of working to straighten out the manufacturer and letting them know that thier batts are not safe.
__________________
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 AM   #180
Tech Fanatic
 
Tornado_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anywhere there is racin'
Posts: 750
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The 2 posts were edited. The info is still there as many of you have quoted in a reply.

So reading the fine print in those quoted replies will still show the overcharging info.
__________________
Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC 4100 and 5200 Hardcase 7.4V 24C Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 90 04-05-2009 10:55 AM
SMC 4000 mah Hardcase Lipos 28C NIB rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 09-12-2008 11:20 AM
SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah wfdfiremedic Electric On-Road 624 08-27-2008 10:09 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
new maxamps 4000mah 7.4v Lipos $75 aussiebuddha Australia For Sale/Trade 2 02-01-2007 04:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net