R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #136
Tech Master
 
Kings Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sw lower michigan
Posts: 1,681
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing View Post
That serves no purpose either. Cut off the red shrink, wrap the pack in your color of vinyl and re-shrink with clear 6-cell wrap. If your track only allows hardcase packs them paint the case black or wrap it in your favorite color of vinyl.

Your local decal or sign shop offer a wide array of colors for your vinyl needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Exactly why we should make racers aware of this so tracks will enforce a rule and a way to tech for it.

I see nothing wrong in showing potential issues with certain products or technology.
Tornado, I does serve a purpose, If self promoting ignorant people think they can teach kids how to blow up there lipos and to break the rules and then right it off as "someone is gonna do it!" then he doesn't deserve my business or those within my influence! Danny, if you were all about making others aware of the danger then your approach would have been much different!
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #137
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,587
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Sorry to upset some of you but sharing the info I have and voiceing my concerns should not be crime.
Be responsible when doing so.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #138
Tech Master
 
g12314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL.
Posts: 1,282
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314
Default

This thread makes me sick. My day job is designing automotive electronics, specifically Battery Management Systems for hybrid electric vehicles. The statements made regarding the battery technology are just ridiculous and I hope no one gets hurt by any of this.
__________________
"PREPARE TO QUALIFY"
g12314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #139
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 68
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
This is why I'm trying to let everyone know that you will need to cycle and maintain your Lipos to stay on top. The number one reason why most believe Lipos are great is because they were told that you buy one pack and never need to discharge it and you only need to charge it back up after your run. In my testing I have noticed that Lipos have a memory effect and high amp cycling will keep the pack at it's best performance.

I have mentioned this in other threads and most said it's not true and they have been running there one year old Lipo with the same lap times and there is no need to do anything to it.

My goal is to let everyone know that Lipos aren't hassle free like they were suppose to be. This has nothing to do with me or SMC it's just the the fact and truth. Sorry to upset some of you but sharing the info I have and voiceing my concerns should not be crime.

I know for a fact that racers care about performance and that is why we get an extra 20 dollars on cells that are .005 more on average voltage. Lipos are the same as there are differences in voltage and IR from manufacturer to manufacturer. So nothing will change as racers will want to buy the fastest packs and do what it takes to maintain them to keep them as fast as possible. That is just the nature of racing.
Well I guess I can add a little of my own dangerous information.

I ran a single SMC Lipo pack for about two months, practice, race, did nothing except use it. Partly because when you packs came out you said they didn't need to be balanced, so I didn't.

But I got beat racing and decided I needed a new pack, bought my new SMC pack and guess what.....yet you guessed it, not a bit faster. I got beat because my car and me weren't fast enough.

So I practiced more worked on the set-up and won again. With the old pack.

So this information is dangerous....to SMC. Because we only need one pack.

I think you are wrong, about all this multi pack and cycle until you wear them out stuff. I like Lipo and if you don't like them or think all the users are wrong it will only cost you money, not me this time.
OldNSlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #140
Company Representative
 
Danny/SMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Elkton, VA
Posts: 3,097
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm very responsible I'm just pointing out facts about Lipos that some of you either don't know or don't want to believe.

I have been selling batterys for many years and I have gotten hundreds of emails asking for the best packs and I will pay a premium price. I also read on the message boards that if I would have the same packs as the sponsored guys I would be as fast. This tells me that some racers want or think they need the best packs to compete.

If Lipos are as fast as sub-c packs then many will be racing them which I have no problems with but you will see that Lipo pack maintenance will be important so we will be back to a similar situation as we have with sub-c packs.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #141
Tech Adept
 
ToddFalkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 164
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski
Default

Guys, I can understand wanting to inform people. However, you've given novice racers (who also read this thread) a target at which to shoot for. (If 9.00 is the limit, and 9.25 is fire hazard, then 9.20 should be ok? If 9.20 doesn't burn the place down, 9.21 just might be ok... If 9.21 works....)

Might I suggest that the post be edited. Revise it so that everyone can grasp treating these safely, without giving a novice reading this thread an envelope to push.

I'm sure that we'll be at a point someday, just like we are now with NiMh... But, right now you're allowing a message that isn't good for the novice to see, and unfortunately are doing damage control because of it.
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #142
Company Representative
 
Danny/SMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Elkton, VA
Posts: 3,097
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNSlow2 View Post
Well I guess I can add a little of my own dangerous information.

I ran a single SMC Lipo pack for about two months, practice, race, did nothing except use it. Partly because when you packs came out you said they didn't need to be balanced, so I didn't.

But I got beat racing and decided I needed a new pack, bought my new SMC pack and guess what.....yet you guessed it, not a bit faster. I got beat because my car and me weren't fast enough.

So I practiced more worked on the set-up and won again. With the old pack.

So this information is dangerous....to SMC. Because we only need one pack.

I think you are wrong, about all this multi pack and cycle until you wear them out stuff. I like Lipo and if you don't like them or think all the users are wrong it will only cost you money, not me this time.

I understand what your saying because bottom line car setup and staying on the track or on the good line is key. That being said if you have your setup maxed out and your running perfect laps then extra voltage in your pack and lower IR will show up.

I'm not against Lipos I just think it's ridiculous to think that Lipos are all the same and there is no need to maintain them in certain ways that will keep them at there best.

If Lipos work great for you and you don't have to do anything to them to be competitive than that is great.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #143
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Danny, first I think you should go back and re-read the post you are endorsing to make sure you understood it and still support it.

If so, I can see where you might be coming from. What happens with lipo batteries is going to effect your livelihood. I can understand your concern. Esp with the way the economy is right now. It must be scary. However, to risk someone elses life b/c of this just is not right.

As someone stated. If you have a concern discuss the concerns in general on safety. Dont give detailed step by steps on how to not be safe including overcharging your lipo pack. (in this case endorsing someone else's step by step instructions).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #144
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
No. To be competitive, racers need to learn car preparation and setup and then drive better. If everyone is using the same equipment, there is no competitive advantage to be gained by buying more crap than the guy next to you.

I'm done with the days of "buying a few more packs" for any type of placebo competitive advantage propagandized by the battery companies. This thread is easily the most repulsive I have ever read on RCtech. Lipos were a great thing for the 99.999% of racers who aren't pushing the limitations and physically can't drive to support that need on the track, anyway.

What you did with this garbage spewing was give that 15-year old kid who has no idea how to set up his car or even drive a smooth lap back to back, a quick and easy way to get himself a magic bullet on the track.


Let's hope for everyone's sake that this bullet is not aimed at anyone we know.









Personally, I just struck SMC, JACO and PRS off of my list of companies to purchase products from. This is the most irresponsible thing I have seen in this industry to date. You just gave out the instructions for building high explosives in your kitchen, then told everyone that it's all common knowledge, and "someone would try it anyway."

Garbage.
What does JACO have to do with this? Did SMC post this information or just confirm that it a problem? SMC had discussions with ROAR about this very issue in an attempt to inform them before they made the rules. They already knew about it so don't act like SMC discovered it or endorses it. Danny is simply stating the same thing I have said- whenever the racers get ahold of new technology, they will find a way to push it to the limits. THIS DOES NOT IN ANY WAY MEAN SMC ENDORSES OR ENCOURAGES RACERS TO DO THIS. I don't know why we are being accused of it. I'm sure other methods of extracting performance will emerge. Hopefully, someone will bring them to light so they don't pose a threat to safety or create an unfair advantage.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #145
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All 48 states...
Posts: 2,053
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I dont know why you all are trying to condemn someone for passing useful info. Personally I own thousands of dollars worth of equipment as so do most on here. Knowng what I know now if I see someone practicing this charging practice I will definietly turn them in. Last thing I need is to be out racing my heat to come back and findout the idiot next to me almost burned all my stuff up along with anyone else'.....do you really think if it wasnt said onhere that same 15 yr old would have foundout anyway???
__________________
Schuurspeed / Aero-model / Gear One / LG1
www.OHRCR.com
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #146
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,664
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Buy more and more SMC lipos...

Quote:
At the end of your main or day of racing dump the pack done and store without charge. More than 2 weeks do not discharge your pack.

*****WARNING: The below info is for experienced racers only. SMC and EA Motorsports do not recommend the following procedures. They deem them UNSAFE and will not assume responsibility for personal injury or property damage.*****


2. The following will decrease the life of your pack by at least 3/4.
Storing a pack for any length of time is not recommended by any other manufacturer...car or plane lipo.

decrease life by 3/4...perfect. So then you can buy more lipos from them...

weird.
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #147
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Its strange how only the SMC lipo threads end up like this. I dont see other companies coming on here trying to do a public service by endorsing dangerous practices and ending up with a thread full of people saying they will boycott their products.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Danny, first I think you should go back and re-read the post you are endorsing to make sure you understood it and still support it.

If so, I can see where you might be coming from. What happens with lipo batteries is going to effect your livelihood. I can understand your concern. Esp with the way the economy is right now. It must be scary. However, to risk someone elses life b/c of this just is not right.

As someone stated. If you have a concern discuss the concerns in general on safety. Dont give detailed step by steps on how to not be safe including overcharging your lipo pack. (in this case endorsing someone else's step by step instructions).
There is a big difference between acknowledging something is true and actually endorsing it. Don't put words in anyone's mouth.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #149
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
There is a big difference between acknowledging something is true and actually endorsing it. Don't put words in anyone's mouth.
I dont need to put words in anyone's mouth, luckily most of us can read what was posted.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #150
Company Representative
 
Danny/SMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Elkton, VA
Posts: 3,097
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Its strange how only the SMC lipo threads end up like this. I dont see other companies coming on here trying to do a public service by endorsing dangerous practices and ended up with a thread full of people saying they will boycott their products.
Maybe it's because they don't know ,don't care or scared of some of your reactions ? The fact that I'm willing to share my concerns and experiences should not be a bad thing as I'm not making this up.

I don't endorse overcharging and in fact it should never be done but this thread has made people aware of it so it can be policed at the local level so no one does it.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC 4100 and 5200 Hardcase 7.4V 24C Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 90 04-05-2009 10:55 AM
SMC 4000 mah Hardcase Lipos 28C NIB rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 09-12-2008 11:20 AM
SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah wfdfiremedic Electric On-Road 624 08-27-2008 10:09 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
new maxamps 4000mah 7.4v Lipos $75 aussiebuddha Australia For Sale/Trade 2 02-01-2007 04:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:03 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net